PDA

View Full Version : Fuel on IAT

Mags
04-28-2016, 13:29
My apologies, when merging the threads, I was not paying attention and I deleted the original thread.

In any case, you may want to contact the IAT folks and see what they have to say. Based on the thread views, there is much interest. Perhaps share the information they tell you?

Different Socks
04-28-2016, 16:04
My apologies, when merging the threads, I was not paying attention and I deleted the original thread.

In any case, you may want to contact the IAT folks and see what they have to say. Based on the thread views, there is much interest. Perhaps share the information they tell you?

Already have done that, and they could not help me either.

lonehiker
04-28-2016, 16:23
I quickly read the "sticky" post in reference to the IAT and it indicates that re-supply should be fairly easy. So, I would assume that if you are using an alcohol stove, fuel availability would be good as service stations, convenience stores, and most grocery stores carry Heet. If you are needing canister fuel, it isn't as easy to figure out.

Glacier
04-28-2016, 16:50
What kind of fuel?

Mags
04-28-2016, 17:31
What kind of fuel?

White Gas I believe is what the original post was inquiring about. Looking at the sticky mentioned, (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/39067-Ice-Age-Trail-basics) you go by many towns.

"The Ice Age Trail travels through or near so many towns, villages, and cities that re-supply is of practically no effort. In northern Wisconsin, towns are more scattered and trail segments are longer but there should still be ample opportunity to supply yourself with food and fuel."

White gas should not be difficult to find in hardware stores or even some grocery stores. The only wrinkle is that long distance backpackers aren't common. You may have to buy a liter or even a gallon at a time.

lonehiker
04-28-2016, 17:40
White Gas I believe is what the original post was inquiring about. Looking at the sticky mentioned, (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/39067-Ice-Age-Trail-basics) you go by many towns.

"The Ice Age Trail travels through or near so many towns, villages, and cities that re-supply is of practically no effort. In northern Wisconsin, towns are more scattered and trail segments are longer but there should still be ample opportunity to supply yourself with food and fuel."

White gas should not be difficult to find in hardware stores or even some grocery stores. The only wrinkle is that long distance backpackers aren't common. You may have to buy a liter or even a gallon at a time.

That isn't the ideal situation and could get expensive. Perhaps, for this trip, go with alcohol stove? I guess that is how I would tackle this situation. As mentioned, however you decide, let appropriate people know so that the sticky post can be updated.

Mags
04-28-2016, 17:42
That isn't the ideal situation and could get expensive. Perhaps, for this trip, go with alcohol stove? I guess that is how I would tackle this situation. As mentioned, however you decide, let appropriate people know so that the sticky post can be updated.

I agree 100%.

Different Socks is a diehard WG user if I recall correctly.

Different Socks
04-28-2016, 21:25
I agree 100%.

Different Socks is a diehard WG user if I recall correctly.

Yes I am a WG diehard. There are many of us out there. Just seems terrible that the IATC is trying to promote the trail to thru hikers and there is no good availability of WG along the whole trail. Why should I have to switch stoves just b/c of this? There must be something they can do about it. Meanwhile, I guess I am gonna have to buy several small WG bottles and put fuel in with my drop boxes and drop them off myself.

OCDave
04-28-2016, 21:46
Yes, sometimes getting away from civilization can distance us from the conveniences with which we have become accustomed. I consider it a worthwhile trade.

Mags
04-28-2016, 22:19
Why should I have to switch stoves just b/c of this? There must be something they can do about it. M.

* You *can do something about it: Realize you are hiking a trail that does not specifically cater to long distance hikers like the AT, PCT, CDT and many others.

There is plenty of white gas. Just not convenient for those who need a few ounces. No need to switch stoves at all if you get off the AT/PCT/CDT/et al mentality.

Embrace being off the beaten path rather than bemoan they aren't catering to a very small minority. Do you want hiker feeds, TRAIL ANGELS (as opposed to trail angels), IAT Trail Days and IAT specific hostels, too? ;)

ps. Mailing fuel may be just as expensive as sucking it up and buying along the way! :)

pps. Depending on which stove you have, you may be able to use autofuel, too. Not as efficient, but less expensive as you can buy in smaller quantities.

lonehiker
04-28-2016, 22:20
Just seems terrible that the IATC is trying to promote the trail to thru hikers and there is no good availability of WG along the whole trail. Why should I have to switch stoves just b/c of this? There must be something they can do about it.

Sure hope this was a bit of humor.

Feral Bill
04-28-2016, 23:30
If WG is available by the liter I don't see the problem. Just resupply fuel less often.

KidA24
04-29-2016, 08:01
Yes I am a WG diehard. There are many of us out there. Just seems terrible that the IATC is trying to promote the trail to thru hikers and there is no good availability of WG along the whole trail. Why should I have to switch stoves just b/c of this? There must be something they can do about it. Meanwhile, I guess I am gonna have to buy several small WG bottles and put fuel in with my drop boxes and drop them off myself.

This charitable organization who has had it's funding slashed in recent years is too busy creating new trail miles and doesn't have the funds to cater specifically to you and your white gas stove. Oh the humanity. Having to organize your own logistics to hike a 1,000 mile trail.

Different Socks
05-03-2016, 08:37
This charitable organization who has had it's funding slashed in recent years is too busy creating new trail miles and doesn't have the funds to cater specifically to you and your white gas stove. Oh the humanity. Having to organize your own logistics to hike a 1,000 mile trail.

They are not catering specifically to what i need. Many, many hikers use a white gas stove. I am one of them, so if they wish to have people thru hiking the trail with that type of stove, they should at least have some ideas of how i or others can obtain it as they do the trail. Why is that so much to ask? And why does that make me such a terrible person to be asking?
I

lonehiker
05-03-2016, 09:22
They are not catering specifically to what i need. Many, many hikers use a white gas stove. I am one of them, so if they wish to have people thru hiking the trail with that type of stove, they should at least have some ideas of how i or others can obtain it as they do the trail. Why is that so much to ask? And why does that make me such a terrible person to be asking?
I

Hmmmm, I'm speechless.

OPI
05-03-2016, 09:47
I

I day hike and backpack this trail frequently. It is unlike many of the other long distant trails. Most people i talk to don't even know the trail exist. Or they say I've heard of it but where is it?
Nothing wrong with asking but because the trail is unknown to many i think it will take time and more backpackers using it to become more of a thru hiking friendly trail. It's a great place to find solitude. I rarely see anybody when I go for hikes.
I can't speak for the IAT but I don't think there goal here is to have more thru hikers use it but rather to establish more off road trail and to improve existing trail for everyone to enjoy.
So the Iat people are stop tell all the stores and gas station along trail to make sure they have white gas for the 10 thru hikers a year that might need it?
If you look on a map of Wisconsin. Find Hwy 29. It goes from Green Bay to Minneapolis. Anything south of that is all day hiking. There are a few camping sites/campgrounds and areas to camp but most of the best spots for backpacking are North of Hwy 29. I love this state and the IAT but there are about 10 other thru hike trails I'd do before this trail. It's just not ready yet to much road walking.

Mags
05-03-2016, 11:31
I

Call the stores and do your own research. Does not make you a terrible person that you are asking. Makes you lazy.

If you can't take the initiative to do your own, very basic, research perhaps you may want to stick to trail that is more of a connect-the-dots experience. The fact there are towns often along the way would tell most experienced backpackers all they need to know for initial planning.

EDIT: Actually don't do the more well established trails either. Hiker entitlement is causing a lot of issues. They don't need more of that type of hiker anywhere.

orthofingers
05-03-2016, 11:54
I have a question about white gas. When I was a kid we used what we called white gas in our lawn mower. My understanding at the time was that white gas was gasoline that was unleaded. Back in the bad old days of leaded gasoline, I think the only gas that was unleaded was Amocco high test and in my home town, the Amocco station had a sign out front that said, "We sell white gas."

Fast forward to 2016 and all the gasoline sold is unleaded although now it has ethanol in it. So, if I was correct in assuming that white gas was unleaded when I was a kid, isn't all gas sold today "white gas"?

orthofingers
05-03-2016, 12:00
Ok. I got it. Takes less time to look it up than to ask the question here.

from Wikipedia

Edit (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_gas#/editor/0)
Watch this page

White gas
White gas is a common name for two flammable substances.

In its most common modern usage, "white gas" is used as a generic name for camp stove and lantern fuel, usually naphtha (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphtha).
White gasoline, also called white gas, can also be a name for pure petrol (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrol) (gasoline (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline)), without additives. This was commonly used when leaded gasoline was the norm, to prevent fouling in situations where the properties of the lead (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead) additive were not required.
"White gas" can also refer to un-dyed (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dyes) petrol (gasoline).

White gas should not be confused with white spirit (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spirit), which is more akin to kerosene (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene).

cycle003
05-06-2016, 11:53
My wife is section hiking the IAT and is probably at about 150 miles now with probably more than that backtracking and side trails. Honestly, I'm not sure why someone from Montana would come to WI to backpack the IAT, but HYOH. Anyway, the IAT is DEFINITELY NOT convenient for long-distance hikers. There are many sections where camping is not feasible and sometimes people offer up their yards, etc. for thru hikers, but its use for long-distance hikers is not well-established. There are many road miles, and it goes through some fairly sparse areas where there aren't going to be a lot of stores, etc.

My best advice would be to join some of the Facebook groups related to the IAT, and you will probably get some better, more specific advice. Let me know if you need some help, and I'll ask my wife about connecting up with some of the groups. Also, I'd be willing to help out in south central Wisconsin with supplies, a ride, etc. if we're available.

Venchka
05-06-2016, 20:54
I own 3 stoves. All three burn Coleman fuel, aka white gas. 1 also burns kerosene and international gas canisters. Clever, hey?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

double d
08-08-2016, 10:18
I Why should the IAT "cater" to specific needs of thru-hikers? Figure out your problems and solutions with research and questions-not blaming the IAT for somehow not catering to thru-hikers.

double d
08-08-2016, 10:20
Call the stores and do your own research. Does not make you a terrible person that you are asking. Makes you lazy.

If you can't take the initiative to do your own, very basic, research perhaps you may want to stick to trail that is more of a connect-the-dots experience. The fact there are towns often along the way would tell most experienced backpackers all they need to know for initial planning.

EDIT: Actually don't do the more well established trails either. Hiker entitlement is causing a lot of issues. They don't need more of that type of hiker anywhere. Once again, well said MAGS!!!