PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Rotten Liar's Flip-Flop Thruhike Video

jgaisser
04-28-2016, 21:43
Created a video of my flipflop thruhike last year, hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sex5nomx5ZU

The full journey:

http://www.appalachianjosh.com

--Dirty Rotten Liar

twistwrist
04-30-2016, 13:13
One of the best thru-hike videos I've seen! Awesome DRL!

twistwrist
04-30-2016, 13:14
By the way, how did I forget we're both from Macon? :)

<3, Clarity

SGTJones
04-30-2016, 14:44
Great video! How'd you get your name?

jgaisser
05-02-2016, 20:47
Ah, my friend, let me tell you a story.

When I was a wee lad, four days into my flip-flop thruhike, I was traveling with four companions-- Forgetful Jones, Trout, Spicy Sausage, and Smeagol. We hitched a ride into town for some beer and pizza. It took forever because there were five of us, so we had to rely on a truck to pick us up-- we refused to break up and get separate rides because duh, we were The Hootie Hoo Gang, the best of friends, unbreakable, and we would Stick Together Forever. (We lasted like a week). So we get into town and we have a glorious time, drinking beer, eating 16" pizzas, and gorging ourselves on the delights of town.

But.... disaster struck.

We finally exit the pizza place, and-- what the heck? It's almost dark outside. "What the heck are we gonna do? We can't hitch in the dark, that'd take forever and people would think we're gonna murder them!" So I suggest what any other well-meaning thruhiker would suggest. "Hey uh, why don't we just grab a cheap motel room and keep drinking?"

Silence.

The four of them stared at me, marinara-rimmed mouths agape. Finally, somebody spoke.

"How could you even suggest that? We are NOT getting a motel room our fourth night on the Appalachian Trail. We are men and women of the wild!"

So back to the trail we go. Knowing that grabbing a hitch in the dark with five people was almost impossible, we begrudgingly split up and found separate rides back to the Trail, and ended up going our separate ways a few days later (but still keep in touch to this day).

A few days later, I was hanging outside a shelter with a few individuals, telling them how a crew of us had grabbed beer and pizza in town earlier that week. "Yeah," I said, "And the people I was with, they ALL wanted to get a motel room on their fourth night on the Appalachian Trail, but I said no, because I, I was a man of the wild!"

I hear a voice from the back of the shelter, from the confines of a sleeping bag--

"You're a Dirty Rotten Liar, it was YOUR idea!"

It was Smeagol. Guess I should've checked the shelter first before telling stories.

And alas, DRL was born.