PDA

View Full Version : how may posters on trail currently

greensleep
04-29-2016, 10:51
Out of curiosity, I'm wondering how many of the recurrent/frequent posters are currently on a trail. My impression is that most aren't actively hiking presently and are "in between" adventures. I'll be attempting a sobo thruhike in 2017 and am mining this forum for advice and insight. So far, been not only educational, but entertaining.

Deacon
04-29-2016, 10:56
Well, I'll be hiking in seven day from now.

bigcranky
04-29-2016, 11:02
Very few folks post here who are currently on the trail, though it does happen. Most of us are, er, "between adventures". :)

Glad you are getting both parts of the experience. Pull up a log and enjoy the campfire.

saltysack
04-29-2016, 21:01
Yep...just killing time daydreaming about the next adventure...I only get to hike about 4 times per year....last year was 2 long weekends on the southern AT and a September JMT thru. This year I've only done Foothills trail thru and hoping to do collegiate loop in July or September then probably 1-2 fall/winter AT sections. Time seems to drag by between trip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cleaner
04-29-2016, 21:28
Go over to TrailJournals.com.Many are posting their current thru hike locations and pictures.I'd say about 1500 hikers heading north now but not all of them post to TrailJournals though.

Gambit McCrae
04-30-2016, 07:20
I don't ever post while im on the trail, but am actively going to the trail monthly

gsingjane
04-30-2016, 07:29
I guess this is meant as sort of a knock on the posters here? I don't know, when I go hiking I don't have the capability of posting anything anywhere. My time outside is for being outside, not for posting. And when I can't be outside I like to come here and think about being outside!

Jane

greensleep
04-30-2016, 09:20
Jane,
No, it definitely is not a knock on the posters. Just curiosity. I believed that most folks in the midst of hiking don't stop to post nor read the forums. You folks are proving me right in that supposition. When I look at posts,it's to get the most up-to-date info. that I can. And be entertained.

daveiniowa
05-01-2016, 19:15
Post while on the trail? There are so many other things to do while out there, like hiking and leaving the stupid zombie phone OFF... When I hike - from the day or two before I leave until some time after I return I forget all about this place. I start to dive in to this forum a lot more just before a hike, like right now, in the middle of the day instead of doing work like I should, lol. Can't wait to get out there! Maybe us posters not on the trail are just jealous of the hikers who are on the trail and we can't stand it so we come here with like minded people to vent?? Good luck on your SB hike!

saltysack
05-01-2016, 21:35
Post while on the trail? There are so many other things to do while out there, like hiking and leaving the stupid zombie phone OFF... When I hike - from the day or two before I leave until some time after I return I forget all about this place. I start to dive in to this forum a lot more just before a hike, like right now, in the middle of the day instead of doing work like I should, lol. Can't wait to get out there! Maybe us posters not on the trail are just jealous of the hikers who are on the trail and we can't stand it so we come here with like minded people to vent?? Good luck on your SB hike!

+1..........

colorado_rob
05-01-2016, 22:34
... Can't wait to get out there! Maybe us posters not on the trail are just jealous of the hikers who are on the trail and we can't stand it so we come here with like minded people to vent?? ..All of this, true for me! Well, maybe not jealous per se, just anxious to get back out. It's my favorite thing to do (hiking), no contest.

I do browse WB and occasionally post while "on the trail", though not literally, just very occasionally during a town stop, night in hotel or hostel, that sort of thing.

This has been discussed before, but it seems a very very low percentage of AT hikers have even heard of WB. I was kinda surprised.

rafe
05-01-2016, 22:57
This has been discussed before, but it seems a very very low percentage of AT hikers have even heard of WB. I was kinda surprised.

I've noticed the same, but it's not always possible to know, or to find out without being kinda blunt about it. Folks I meet on the trail aren't usually discussing hiker forums. I've probably met some WBers without knowing it, and some folks here I know from before this forum came to be.

WB is for cyberhiking. When I'm on the trail, even for a day hike, I mostly forget about the Internet. If there are photos or a story to share, I do that when I get home.

(OK, one glaring exception: bored outta my mind on a rainy afternoon at a Long Trail shelter last summer, with awesome signal since we had a line-of-sight to the summit of Jay Peak ten miles away.)

Jake2c
05-04-2016, 15:25
I am currently hiking, just taking a couple of days off at my brother-in-law's house. This is the first time I have posted since I started almost 900 miles and 2+ months ago. Probably won't post again for another 2 months or when I computer is available and I am bored.