PDA

View Full Version : Virginia/West Virginia border sign

JLorenzo77
04-29-2016, 13:41
Okay, where the heck is this sign?! I did a day hike from MD, through HF and up the hill. I rode the ridge line, passed by the "Keys Gap 4 miles" and past the 'Entering Harper's Ferry' sign and walked a couple more miles to a power line clearing. I never saw the sign indicating I had crossed Virginia. Eventually I turned around as I had to get back to my car.

Pedaling Fool
04-29-2016, 13:44
I remember an old sign that didn't look like it was going to last much longer, but don't recall location. (That was many years ago).

You kind of thread in and out of Virginia and W. Va from the first time you enter W.Va until you finally get to Harper's Ferry.

GoldenBear
04-29-2016, 13:46
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=61209&catid=member&imageuser=13863

As the title says, it's just north of Rice Field Shelter, near Pearisburg VA.
In other words, this one is nowhere near Harpers Ferry.

Follow up: I now realize you're talking about a sign stating you've left Virginia and are now in West Virginia, when you're just south of Harpers Ferry. As Pedaling Fool noted, you walk along the border between the two states until you head downhill towards the bridge over US Highway 340 -- Google Maps{R} shows it well. When you cross Chestnut Hill Road, you're definitely in WV, but you've also been there for the previous mile or so. For better or worse, it's not totally clear EXACTLY where you leave Virginia, never to return.

Pedaling Fool
04-29-2016, 13:48
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=61209&catid=member&imageuser=13863

As the title says, it's just north of Rice Field Shelter, near Pearisburg VA.
In other words, nowhere near Harpers Ferry.Hmmm...I definitely don't remember that sign. I guess I need to get back up there.:)

JLorenzo77
04-29-2016, 13:49
Well, crap. I should've just gone to Keys Gap. For some reason, the signs on the AT motivate me. I thought for sure there would be a sign in NoVa indicating that you cross the border into WV.

JLorenzo77
04-29-2016, 13:49
I remember an old sign that didn't look like it was going to last much longer, but don't recall location. (That was many years ago).

You kind of thread in and out of Virginia and W. Va from the first time you enter W.Va until you finally get to Harper's Ferry.

That's true.

Lauriep
04-29-2016, 13:54
The relatively new VA/WV State Line sign at the top of the signpost marking the Loudoun Heights Trail / A.T. Junction was stolen (sawed off) last December. A few days later, the new sign at the base of the spiral staircase (that had been installed in June) was also stolen. Other vandalism occurred between those two signs around the same period.

JLorenzo77
04-29-2016, 14:06
Thanks everyone. I hate vandals. They constantly take the Mason Dixon sign too.

Golden Bear - That's right. When I was a kid, my Grandma lived on Chestnut Hill road and was definitely in WV. I hiked south from there for a couple of miles, assuming I'd see a sign.

displacedbeatnik
04-29-2016, 14:24
You cross the border between Virginia and West Virginia a lot of times between VA/WV-9 and just north VA 7. It would be insane to mark it every time. There is a really nice sign at Keys Gap marking it on WV-9 though.

displacedbeatnik
04-29-2016, 14:26
Yikes. I didn't even realize the craziness continued north of Keys Gap and I'm a sort of local.

jimmyjam
04-29-2016, 15:18
The sign is on the road at the top of the mountain after you cross the river sobo from HF.

Red Cinema
04-29-2016, 19:11

My phone thinks this one is (was?) n of Rt. 7. . .

Kaptainkriz
04-29-2016, 19:56

My phone thinks this one is (was?) n of Rt. 7. . .

that one is not far north from snickers gap on rt7...was just there a couple weeks ago. :)

Pedaling Fool
04-30-2016, 07:39
The sign is on the road at the top of the mountain after you cross the river sobo from HF.

In my simplistic way of thinking I would think they would put those signs directly over top the actual border; however, I've seen many of them that I know are not placed on the border, rather a good ways from it, by reading the map.

P.S. I know, off topic, but it's just one of those stupid things that bothers me...Yes, it can be hell in my head, at times...:datz

Rain Man
04-30-2016, 08:12
In my simplistic way of thinking I would think they would put those signs directly over top the actual border

I had that same simplistic way of thinking, until I had hiked across many state borders and realized "they" don't. Or "they" do and they are constantly stolen. Now, the NJ/NY state "sign" would be pretty hard to steal!!!

By the way, who is "they"?

JLorenzo77
04-30-2016, 08:14
that one is not far north from snickers gap on rt7...was just there a couple weeks ago. :)

That's the sign I was looking for!

tdoczi
04-30-2016, 10:15
my memory from 4 years ago is there was a sign but it is well south of HF at what i presume is the point when hiking sobo (as i was) when you truly leave WV behind and are in VA as opposed to constantly crossing back and forth over the border. i remember the sign as indicating the start of VA (welcome to VA or similar sentiment) and giving the mileage to the southern border (over 500!) if it said anything about WV or if there was a NOBO leaving VA sign i dont recall.

im sure i have a pic of it somewhere but cant look for it now.

tdoczi
04-30-2016, 23:12
my memory from 4 years ago is there was a sign but it is well south of HF at what i presume is the point when hiking sobo (as i was) when you truly leave WV behind and are in VA as opposed to constantly crossing back and forth over the border. i remember the sign as indicating the start of VA (welcome to VA or similar sentiment) and giving the mileage to the southern border (over 500!) if it said anything about WV or if there was a NOBO leaving VA sign i dont recall.

im sure i have a pic of it somewhere but cant look for it now.

found the pics. from march 2012. there are signs both sobo and nobo, it is some 17 miles south approx south of HF, which, probably not coincidentally, is where AT Dist lists the VA/WV border as being.

ive always thought if one REALLY wanted to do the 4 state challenge, itd be from this spot to penmar in 24 hours.3468434685