PDA

View Full Version : 690 more miles

Cascobay
01-28-2003, 09:57
I read an article about the Appalachian Trail being extended 690miles into Canda, ending at the ocean tip of the Gaspe. Being a potential thru hiker for 2005, I am wondering if this is adding a little curve ball to my plans. Anybody heard this also?

:eek: -Joe

chris
01-28-2003, 10:10
I think you are referencing the extension of the Appalachian trail which is being called the International Appalachian trail. I do not think many people who start from Springer continue on to Gaspe from Katahdin, nor do many people start at Gaspe and hike to Springer. The IAT is incomplete as yet, which gives it a certain allure. The area is sparsely populated, relatively wild, and supposedly stunning. Take a look at http://www.internationalat.org/SIAIAT/

This is high on the list for me for things to do over the next couple of years. There was a presentation on this at the Gathering this year, so there are thruhikers of the IAT out there. Nimblewill Nomad and John Brinda are two who come to mind, having completed the Eastern Continential "trail".

SGT Rock
01-28-2003, 10:19
And don't forget the southern "extension" that should be completed soon that combines the Benton McKaye and the Pinhoti that takes you all the way to Talladega Alabama.

chris
01-28-2003, 11:59
Eh? A trail to NASCAR? How scenic!

SGT Rock
01-28-2003, 12:36
Actually the Alabama Pinhoti is very nice, it was 105 miles when I hiked it, but now it is longer, going into Georgia and connecting to a Ga Pinhoi\ti.

chris
01-28-2003, 15:20
Ah, I just meant that going by Talledega would be scenic. I'm sure the Pinhoti is very nice. I'm not sure of the routing of the Pinhoti, but parts of Alabama are really quite nice. I went to school in TN, just over the Alabama line, and have lots of fond memories of northern Alabama.

Cascobay
01-28-2003, 16:30
Thanks for the info. That is all pretty amazing, the pictures from up North were incredible. They did talk about having to walk down some highways since the trail is not finished like you say. :rolleyes: