PDA

View Full Version : Tarps and trekking poles

RussC
04-29-2016, 21:42
Is it advisable to put a trekking pole in the middle of a flat silnylon tarp as support with the outside of the tarp staked down, instead of just using the poles at the tie outs? I am talking handle up, point down of course. Is there a danger of damaging the tarp if is ins't reinforced? Seems like a good way to make more headroom, unless the tarp won't hold up.

Thanks!

nsherry61
04-30-2016, 07:00
Handle on silnylon is fine. Nylon is pretty darn tough stuff. If used in exactly the same spot in heavy weather many times, you might start to see some slight wear or stretching.

Lyle
04-30-2016, 07:09
You can always sew a reinforcing patch into the tarp if you decide you like this arrangement. Until then, I would add an extra layer by placing a folded t-shirt or folded sock or something between the tarp and the pole, just for added protection. Along the edges, or in a "designed" peak, the folded seams add a great deal to the strength of the fabric.

That said, pyramid tarps (what you are proposing) are usually deferentially cut to allow for a taught pitch all around the pole. You may find it difficult to achieve the same with a flat tarp, but experiment, that's the great thing about tarps, no one way to do it.

RussC
04-30-2016, 10:09
Thanks, that makes me want to give it a try. I like the idea of reinforcing the spot.