PDA

View Full Version : Low Sodium Backpack Meal Alternatives

daveiniowa
04-30-2016, 19:45
After a visit with the doctor after my last hike, my sodium intake was off the charts, I was getting about 6 times too much according to the doc. Now I have to look at the sodium content of everything I eat, and I can't believe how much salt is in every thing. First it was sugar, now salt. So I am doing pretty good at home with salt levels, but getting ready for a section hike shortly and I am trying to find pre packaged mountain house style meals with low sodium. Is there such a thing? I know why the salt is in there to preserve, but surely there is another way?? I found dried veggies with only 40 mg per serving. For ramen I now throw away the SALT packet. But even the lipton rice and canned meat etc. is really high. Are there any alternatives other than having to buy a dehydrator and vacuum sealer and do it all my self. I hate prepping meals. Rather just buy them, pack em, and get hiking.

Stitches
04-30-2016, 20:10
Purchased meals will just have a lot of sodium. I understand that you don't like to prep meals, but realistically, that's the best way to reduce your sodium.

Salt is not in Mountain House-style foods to preserve. It is in there to make it taste good. Salt preserves food by dehydrating it. Dehydrating foods makes it so that bacteria can''t grow.

Start with a starch that reconstitutes easily. Couscous, Minute Rice, ramen noodles, instant mashed potatoes, instant grits, instant polenta, etc. Whole Foods sells dehydrated veggies. Any grocery store sells dried tomatoes. Add dried beef, bacon bits, tuna, nuts, dried beans, parmesan cheese, chopped nuts. Bring packs of hot sauce, olive oil, pesto, dried herbs, garlic powder, stuff like that to add flavor. Once you cut back on the salt that you are accustomed to in pre-packaged foods, you will find that the packaged stuff tastes too salty!

nsherry61
04-30-2016, 20:16
Another point to consider. When hike all day in the heat, many people take salt (electrolyte) supplements and/or make a point of eating high salt foods. When exercising and sweating, you need more salt. It may be that the relatively high salt content of pre-packaged backpacking meals is a good thing unless you eat them in your more sedentary off-trail lifestyle.

Good luck and have fun.

daveiniowa
04-30-2016, 21:14
Purchased meals will just have a lot of sodium. I understand that you don't like to prep meals, but realistically, that's the best way to reduce your sodium.

Salt is not in Mountain House-style foods to preserve. It is in there to make it taste good. Salt preserves food by dehydrating it. Dehydrating foods makes it so that bacteria can''t grow.

Start with a starch that reconstitutes easily. Couscous, Minute Rice, ramen noodles, instant mashed potatoes, instant grits, instant polenta, etc. Whole Foods sells dehydrated veggies. Any grocery store sells dried tomatoes. Add dried beef, bacon bits, tuna, nuts, dried beans, parmesan cheese, chopped nuts. Bring packs of hot sauce, olive oil, pesto, dried herbs, garlic powder, stuff like that to add flavor. Once you cut back on the salt that you are accustomed to in pre-packaged foods, you will find that the packaged stuff tastes too salty!

Yea no kidding, once you get use to low salt foods the other salty stuff will taste REALLY salty. I cant even stand to eat a can of soup any more its so salty. Just now looking at alpineaire food and there sodium is a bit lower than the others. Thanks for the info!

Odd Man Out
04-30-2016, 22:45
What I will do is take a pre packaged mix like zatarains beans and rice mix (low sodium version). Then I add basmati rice and lentils to double the mass. Then divide into single serving sizes, now with half the salt of the original.

Farr Away
05-01-2016, 14:51
A few years ago, my husband had to avoid everything with added salt for several weeks. It's absolutely amazing what all that included.

-FA