PDA

View Full Version : Show me your Gear Closet

punchcard
05-01-2016, 11:29
I'm reorganizing and need some ideas for all my families gear. Backpacking, car camping, DIY and repair stuff.

Thanks!

nsherry61
05-01-2016, 12:12
I have a room with a work table, a closet, utility shelves and big translucent Rubbermaid (or the like) tote containers. Tents, sleeping bags/quilts and pads sit on the shelves (used to be in the containers when a garage was my storage room). Containers are organized by category of gear and placed either on the shelves or stacked up on each other. A bookshelf has books, maps, and little items I frequently grab like eye-wear, first aid, and water treatment along with shoe box sized boxes of bits that work well there instead of in the big Rubbermaid totes. Skis and poles stack nicely in a couple of corners.

Outdoor clothing that I also wear day-to-day tends to stay in my bedroom closet and drawers. More dedicated outdoor clothing and footwear tends to live in my gear room closet to keep from over-stuffing my daily wear closet.

12trysomething
05-01-2016, 12:13
There are 5 submissions here (http://www.backpackingadventures.net/pictures/params/group/20269/) that may spark an idea or two.

punchcard
05-02-2016, 12:21
Thanks for the suggestions. Please keep them coming.

lonehiker
05-02-2016, 12:51

Not tech savvy so hope these attachments, well, attached.

To explain my system: From photo 1, top shelf, I select sleeping bag for conditions and then desired pack. Then from the main (center) shelves I pack everything. If anything is left on the shelf I have made a conscious decision not to take that item. Note: no tent on shelf below sleeping bags as I am awaiting new tent from Zpacks. I can literally be packed, minus food, in about 5 minutes. When I return from a trip no item is placed back onto a shelf unless it is cleaned and ready to go. All consumables are also replenished for a 5-6 day trip. Hat and sunglasses not shown as I have been using them for some snowshoeing. The side bins are spares, supplemental items based upon conditions, etc.

nsherry61
05-02-2016, 19:54
Geez, my gear room is a pig sty right now, but here it goes . . .

Sadly, almost everything in this gear room is mine, so I can't blame the mess on anyone else. There actually is some reasonable organization under the current mess. I think there are about four sets of cycling panniers and nearly a dozen backpacks crammed under the table. Most of the guidebooks and maps are in bookshelves downstairs. Most of my cycling stuff is either in the living-room or in the basement shop area. Boats and boat accessories are mostly in the garage.

Yes, my wife is sick of my "sh..." and I have been told that I will need to vacate at least the living room pretty soon.
Luckily we live in a stupidly large house with rooms we rarely go into, so, although some bikes are in the main living-room, the secondary living-room is really where we live.

Leo L.
05-03-2016, 09:40
I'm using a good portion of my specific hiking gear in my everyday life, there is not so much stuff left to store I would need a separate gear closet.
I'm using a very old chest up in the loft to store some big and seldom used items like the big backpacks, tents and cell pads, as well as xcountry-skiing and rock climbing equipment.
Planning for some bigger adventure always starts with braking the spider webs off this chest...

CarlZ993
05-04-2016, 15:43
No pics forthcoming.... but, you forgot to add the 's' to closet. :)

Connie
05-07-2016, 04:37
I used to have my backpacks packed and ready-to-go behind the seat in my truck. Ripped off, I don't do that anymore.

Now..

I have three covered plastic containers that slide under the bed, for my backpacking gear. It "fits" in there because I have UL gear.

The kayak gear is in one big-zip stadium duffle, in the garage.

The snowshoes, mountaineering skis, and pulk is in the garage.

I had done a YouTube video: Too Much Gear.

I have it organized, now.

colorado_rob
05-07-2016, 09:09
If you ever get really serious about hiking/backpacking/climbing and related activities, like we are, consider devoting an entire room, like we have. shown here is our 3-season gear, we have winter gear, like our snowshoes, bigger packs and mountaineering tents stored elsewhere, it comes out in November.

Connie
05-07-2016, 09:15
I looked for my YouTube "Too Much Gear" video.

It wasn't there. Maybe the picture was no longer up to their standard, now that everything is High Definition?

Here is one backpacking stove box, I had, before the new UL gear got into my serious backpacking life.

http://youtu.be/bEoZgEKsjGQ

Here it is, in my old account:

http://youtu.be/xnjUD4EfEoU

I didn't video all my paid storage spaces, but you get the idea.

I neglected to mention one big-zip stadium bag for only my mountainclimbing hardware. It is in the garage. My car is outside. My truck is outside.

My 16' "hunter" travel trailer is in paid storage.

I moved to Montana, because I am doing all these things full-time, now that I am done with employment.

lonehiker
05-07-2016, 20:27
I pared-down so that I could fit all gear in the walk-in closet pictured earlier. The Boy Scouts were the lucky recipients of my cast-offs.