PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 tarp hammockers please respond

Cheesewhiz
12-29-2005, 14:24
with an 8x10 silnylon tarp is it best to hang it on the diagonal or folded lengthwise? also with your aftermarket tarp is it better to have a ridgeline all the way through the tarp or just tie it off from the ends.

txulrich
12-29-2005, 14:38
with an 8x10 silnylon tarp is it best to hang it on the diagonal or folded lengthwise? also with your aftermarket tarp is it better to have a ridgeline all the way through the tarp or just tie it off from the ends.

Your first question depends on the type/length of your hammock. If you have a HH Asym, you might want to tie it from the corners. You should go out in the backyard or local park and see what works best.

For me, your second question depends on the weather. If it's warm and not looking like rain, I'll raise one or both sides to allow for better ventilation. If it is chilly, I'll drop the windward side to try and block as much wind as possible. If it's downright cold, I'll drop both sides down to snuggle in.

BTW, I have a MacCat Deluxe. Great tarp.

Just Jeff
12-29-2005, 15:23
Running a ridgeline under your tarp can stress the silnylon along that section. This stress can cause it to leak at the pressure point, and can rub it during winds. I would just tie to the end tie-outs.

I've never seen an 8x10 hung diagonally. Hanging it like a rectangle keeps the ends protected much better than A-sym versions so the tarp doesn't need to be as long if you hang perpendicular to the wind.

But I don't use an 8x10 - maybe Youngblood has tried it this way?

Seeker
12-29-2005, 17:07
i tried mine diagonally, but it was too long, about 12 feet or so. way longer than i needed. tried it the rectangular way, and it's ok, but it weighs about 3x what the stock tarp weighs (roughly 18 oz vs 6 oz). i was a little hesitant about the stock tarp in bad weather, but i tied my hammock out one weekend and waited til the weather got really nasty... took a few days for it to show up, but when it did, i spent the night out in it, several times... so now i have a lot more confidence in the stock tarp and know how to make it work. i'm still going to make an 8 x 8 tarp (11' diagonal) and try it out. just waiting for walmart to get some more silnylon in.

Footslogger
12-29-2005, 18:17
You might not be interested, but I use an 8' x 8' (JRB) tarp that has the seam across the diagonal. I pitch it with the diagonal seam parallel to the hammock.

'Slogger

Hammock Hanger
12-29-2005, 18:35
I have a one similar to the MacCat. I tie it diagonally from each point, no ridge line underneath. I got mine from JRB. They no longer carry that model but I think their 8x8 is similar. Sue

PKH
12-29-2005, 19:40
I hang my 8 X 10 lengthwise, as a rectangle, and wouldn't dream of stressing silnylon by using a ridgeline. I was never entirely happy with the size of the stock tarp. I made it through some nasty storms, but then again a few times I didn't!

Cheers,

PKH

wentworth
12-29-2005, 21:09
I use my 8 by 10 diagonally over my HH explorer. It wouldn't be long enough to cover it if used as a rectangle. Using it diagonally does mean that water can gather in a crease in the ridge. For this reason, I want to buy a Maccat deluxe once finances can rise to that.

neo
12-30-2005, 00:57
i love this tarp,9x9 digital camo 29.99 at the sportsmans guide:cool: neo

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=217705

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9434&c=577

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9410&c=577

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9351&c=577

peter_pan
12-30-2005, 08:12
I have a one similar to the MacCat. I tie it diagonally from each point, no ridge line underneath. I got mine from JRB. They no longer carry that model but I think their 8x8 is similar. Sue

Sue, Et Al,

JRB still makes the 8x8 Tarp with the diagonal ridge line.... 9.2 oz...Great coverage...super in tight spots.

Check out the new Self Tensioning Lines... less than an oz for the pair... Taut tarp, set right, stays right, all night, every night.

But I'm biased.

Pan