PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick follow up...

skinnbones
05-01-2016, 20:32
Many thanks to all that passed along wise advice. I just put my pack on an official scale and the needle pushed near the 19 pound mark. Still need sleeping bag, pad, liner, and down jacket. I'm guessing the final total weight with food and water will be at 35 pounds. I'm at 140lbs, but plan to be at or near 150 pounds next spring. This will have to do. For all that think this is too much weight, do I get an extra pat on back when I reach Kadahdin?

Malto
05-01-2016, 20:37
No pat on the back from me even though you have more weight than I would ever carry. But it is you that will have to carry it, not me. (CYOW) Have a great hike.

Greenlight
05-01-2016, 20:42
You'll get real pats on the back with the group you summit Katahdin with next year. And you'll spend the time between then and now shaking yourself down on weekenders, etc. You'll get lighter. Also look at ways to reduce your food weight by carrying high calorie, high carb foods with lower weights. Erik the Black, a PCT hiker, has lots of tutorials on the web, and he's just one resource. Get out and test that gear.

saltysack
05-01-2016, 21:05
Can't you return the heavy pack or sell on eBay? More wt you carry only lessons your chance to reach K. I wouldn't want to carry that much weight and I'm 5'11" 215lbs, hit the gym daily....meat head...I've not done an AT thru but the shorter trails I've done you can really feel the weight after a few days, can't imagine toting 40lbs over 2,000 miles...on my jmt thru hike after picking up 6 days worth of food from mtr I could surely feel the extra load....why not increase your chance for success....just my $.02..get out and hike...only way to see what you truly need...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jake2c
05-04-2016, 15:37
Now at just about the 900 mile mark taking a few days off. My winter load out with food and water ran about 32-35 lbs depending. From what I have seen actually on the trail that is not an unusual weight at all. I have seen a high of about 65 lbs and a few people claiming lower than 19 (asked one how he did it and he was going shelter to shelter, no tent etc . . .). I expect to be about 28-32 lbs with my summer load out. I did get rid of some heavier items for lighter ones but not much, and I did opt for a heavier stove as the light one just did not meet my needs. Not to long ago people used to brag about how much weight they carried. Times change. No doubt that lighter is easier but so is having the things you want to make the trip worthwhile for you. One thing to keep in mind, get a pack that can handle the weight and by that I mean is comfortable to carry. A pack may be rated at 40 lbs but that does not mean it is comfortable at 40 lbs. The pack I have now is rated at 40 and it can handle it, but it's not comfortable until I get under 35. At 32 and under it basically feels perfect. You probably will not quite because of a couple of pounds as long as your comfortable. There are other challenges that will test you more.

Studlintsean
05-04-2016, 16:06
Keep an eye on Costco for a down jacket (decent price and weight) and get a sleeping bag that doesn't require a liner (cutting that weight out completely). Good luck on your hike. People have made it with far heavier packs and not made it with far lighter packs.