PDA

View Full Version : repost, NEWBIE, WEEKEND TRIP GEAR REPORT

tombolino
05-02-2016, 01:19
I did a mere 24 miles on the AT this weekend. Had a chance to try my mostly new gear and jotted down questions or ways to improve in the future.
-For water, I had a cheap 2L hydration back with hose. I like the hose easy access and being able to drink while hiking (and I drink lots of water) .....but what I dont like is the flabby nature of the hydration pack and the opening and closing of big knob in the middle = cant easily pour water in or out. I was a little baffled, some hikers dont drink and walk simultaneously? I saw all kinds of systems.
-Perhaps a 1 or 2 L platypus with a hose would be my thing?
-I was advised in another forum to not use a backpack rain cover and just use a trash compactor bag. So thats what I did. Well, my pack got a bit soaked (the stuff inside was fine but I dont see the upside overall). Maybe I misunderstood the advice? Any suggested lightweight backpack rain covers? My pack is Osprey Atmos 65. The one made by Osprey weighs 2.8 oz....
-I put my food in a Sea To Summit Sil Dry Sack nice. But an ideal food bag would have more odor blocking (or combo it with a second bag?) for half ass quickie hanging on tree (like no rope, whatever branch i can reach because im exhasuted) and….. a bag that is compartmentalized so as not to dig through the bag every time?
-Definitely some kind of sitting pad next time! Suggests?

-My pot I used GSI soloist, just the pot. I like the locking pot handle which locks evreything inside. http://www.gsioutdoors.com/pinnacle-soloist.html
Any lighter pots that have this locking deal thing going on?

-Fizan poles…..disappointed, grips so small, made my hands work more and couldnt feel any girthy support in the poles overall.

tombolino
05-02-2016, 01:19
argh! code again!

egilbe
05-02-2016, 10:41
The point of a rain cover is to keep your pack dry, but it doesn't, it can't when it rains for days. Accept that your pack is going to get wet. You want to keep your gear dry, so you put it in a trash compactor bag. Now, what is the point of a pack cover? It weighs more, doesn't keep anything dry and water can puddle up in the bottom.

Diamondlil
05-02-2016, 11:12
Food;
If you are going to be out for multiple days, eating two to three meals per day. May I suggest assembling your meals for that day, b, l, d, & s, putting that days provisions into one large ziplock, continue with each subsequent day, then as you wake in the morning pull today's ziplock out, pack your pack and leave that ziplock at or near the top, ( or in one of the many pockets) where you may have easy access to it during the day. Also, you don't have to dig around for dinner when you set up camp at the end of your day. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VashFive
05-02-2016, 11:45
Water: I use a 2L Platty. Not sure how you filter, but if you use a squeeze I'd recommend getting a quick fill adapter. It's really speeds things up. This is the one I use.

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Fast-Fill-Adapter/dp/B00E86K2YG

Cook Pot: I love my Evernew.
http://www.amazon.com/Evernew-Titanium-Non-Stick-Pot-Handle/dp/B001ASNJMC/ref=sr_1_20?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1462203786&sr=1-20&keywords=evernew

Good luck!

saltysack
05-02-2016, 11:45
I find bladders to be a pita....a 1 liter SW or Gatorade bottle is easiest for me...sometime it can be a lil tricky getting bottle back in side pocket of pack while walking as I'm not that flexible but gives me a sec to stop smell the roses. Easier to clean, replace and more durable. Compactor bag has worked for me for years...never heard of a pack cover that actually works besides a packa style that's a jacket/poncho also... My circuit seems to shed water pretty well..can't comment on an Osprey pack...use what works for you...short trips are the best ways to learn....

lonehiker
05-02-2016, 12:27
I've used a bladder for a couple of decades and swear by them. If you like a bladder stick with it. If not, then switch to bottles. As far as a pack cover goes I use one as I feel that it prevents my pack from getting totally saturated which, apparently, yours did. I have been using a ULA pack cover but will be switching to a cuben fiber cover. I also use a compactor bag for sleeping gear. As far as food bags go, I've never used a separate odor bag and have had no problems with critters in my food bag. If you think about it, you are dealing with animals whose sole purpose in life is to sniff out food so do you honestly think a bit of plastic is going to prevent them from smelling what is in the bag? I pack my food bag in layers by day. I don't see any reason to compartmentalize the food as my method pretty much has the meals in order. If not, it literally takes 2-3 seconds to scrounge and find the snack (or whatever) that I am looking for. Never saw the logic of having to use a zip-lock to store a days worth of food. But, if that works for you do it.

Ashepabst
05-02-2016, 13:15
a trash bag will work just fine as a pack cover... if the trail's not terribly brushy... for a few days. after a few days it'll start to stretch, won't go back on as easily, will be a pain to take off/put back on. if your trail is brushy it'll tear to shreds pretty quickly. it's still my go-to method for short trips and fair weather trips.... much more packable/lighter than a fabric pack cover. the more important factor is the pack liner.

don't worry about odor proofing your foodbag. they're gonna smell it no matter what you put it in. a half-assed food hang is going to be a potential liability every time, certainly in high traffic areas like the AT. rodents can get in there and contaminate your food without you even realizing that it's happening. you might consider the rodent-proof bags that are chainmail.

JumpMaster Blaster
05-02-2016, 13:34
Water: I use a 2L Platty. Not sure how you filter, but if you use a squeeze I'd recommend getting a quick fill adapter. It's really speeds things up. This is the one I use.

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Fast-Fill-Adapter/dp/B00E86K2YG

Cook Pot: I love my Evernew.
http://www.amazon.com/Evernew-Titanium-Non-Stick-Pot-Handle/dp/B001ASNJMC/ref=sr_1_20?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1462203786&sr=1-20&keywords=evernew

Good luck!

That quick fill adapter actually works with the Platypus Big Zip bladders? If so, I will purchase that bad boy TODAY.

tombolino
05-02-2016, 21:44
thanks ya'll!! Regarding trash bag for the pack, do you all mean the black trash bags? Do you all custom cut them or how do you get the bag past the packs shoulder straps?

JC13
05-03-2016, 08:33
thanks ya'll!! Regarding trash bag for the pack, do you all mean the black trash bags? Do you all custom cut them or how do you get the bag past the packs shoulder straps?If you are referencing a trashbag on the outside, I would imagine you insert your pack and cinch it where the straps meet the bag. For internal bag, generally people reference a trash compactor bag. This keeps the internals dry but your actual pack fabric will get wet.

VashFive
05-03-2016, 08:51
Get a trash compactor bag and use it to line the inside of your pack. This will protect your gear from water.

VashFive
05-03-2016, 08:52
That quick fill adapter actually works with the Platypus Big Zip bladders? If so, I will purchase that bad boy TODAY.

Yeah it does! It is an adapter you place in your hose line. Super easy.

Berserker
05-03-2016, 12:22
Lots of people give advice to not use pack covers and that's their opinion, but I use one. The pack cover does a couple of things for me. It keeps the majority of the pack from getting wet, which is nice if it rains for several days. Yeah the pack is gonna get damp and the exposed parts like the straps will get wet, but it's not the same as walking without a pack cover and getting all the material on the entire outside of the pack wet. The other thing it does that isn't mentioned often is that it keeps the pack dry when you take it off if you aren't in a shelter. So for example, you take a quick break to eat something and get some water, and you can prop your pack up against a tree with the covered side up so that the rain is just running right off of it.

Again, it's a personal preference thing as you can use a trash compactor bag (which I also use) inside and just let the outside get wet. I just like trying to keep it as dry as possible, and the few ounces (my sil-nylon one weighs 4.16 oz) is worth the extra weight...oh yeah, and the few ounces of weight for the pack cover that is keeping the pack basically dry may end up being lighter than the pack fabric once the entire pack gets saturated with water.

Gambit McCrae
05-03-2016, 13:51
The point of a rain cover is to keep your pack dry, but it doesn't, it can't when it rains for days. Accept that your pack is going to get wet. You want to keep your gear dry, so you put it in a trash compactor bag. Now, what is the point of a pack cover? It weighs more, doesn't keep anything dry and water can puddle up in the bottom.

I have had great results out of the sea to summit cover.
Expierence comes from walking in a downpour for 100 miles straight via HF sobo to bootens gap.

Food;
If you are going to be out for multiple days, eating two to three meals per day. May I suggest assembling your meals for that day, b, l, d, & s, putting that days provisions into one large ziplock, continue with each subsequent day, then as you wake in the morning pull today's ziplock out, pack your pack and leave that ziplock at or near the top, ( or in one of the many pockets) where you may have easy access to it during the day. Also, you don't have to dig around for dinner when you set up camp at the end of your day. ?

I thought this would be a good idea too but I found it to be too organized, I place every days food supply on the floor, count it out and then dump it all in one bag.