PDA

View Full Version : tennis elbow, trekking poles and aging

1azarus
05-02-2016, 10:27
so, this could have been titled the "getting older" thread... I have a really sore "tennis" elbow. I'm wondering what experience you elders have with irritating elbows by using trekking poles. Mine don't collapse (poles, that is, not elbows...) and I would hate to take off for a few days and end up having to awkwardly strap my "long" poles to my pack. And while I'm whining, I've got the same (new) issue with sciatic pain. It is quiet now, but does long distance walking tend to aggravate sciatic nerve/ pain?

nsherry61
05-02-2016, 11:01
FWIW: If your trekking poles are too long, it will create excess stress on your elbows and can lead to tennis elbow type issues.
That gives you a couple choices if your poles aren't adjustable: 1) Get new and shorter poles, 2) Figure out how to hold lower on your poles, especially when going uphill, 3) Cut your poles down, probably by removing the grip, cutting one or two inches off the end, and then reinstalling the grip.

As for sciatica, ibuprofine and naproxin are both pretty effective and mild anti-inflammatories that may pretty much eliminate the problem when it flares up, if it isn't too bad.

Good luck. Getting old physically sucks.

rocketsocks
05-02-2016, 11:24
After my siactic nerve flares walking seems to help...after the initial flare, though long distance would unnerve me and start it being fussy again, rest seems to be the key till it quiets. I use an elastic forearm wrap for elbow flare placed about two fingers width from elbow bone to the start of the wrap works amazingly well and almost immediately.

Pedaling Fool
05-02-2016, 13:24
There are two basic forms of exercise for the body, cardio and musculoskeletal training.

Weightlifting is crucial for the musculoskeletal system, especially as we get older.

MuddyWaters
05-02-2016, 13:39
Tennis elbow is tendonitis, micro tears in tendon from strain its not used too.
A couple weeks of avoiding irritating activity, and stretches several times per day should clear it up. It did mine. Mine ( years ago) was due to working out doing dips with 135 lb hanging from me. Hasnt reoccurred since. Ortho doc told me he sees it a lot in bass and speckled trout fisherman. Never heard of it from trek poles.

rafe
05-02-2016, 14:32
We're about the same age, Laz. My upper body isn't particularly powerful and I have no issues with my trekking poles. Knock wood, I have no experience with sciatica. It seems that a pair of collapsible poles would address some of your concerns, and they're really not all that expensive.

There are other good reasons for having collapsible / adjustable poles -- easy to stow for extended flats, extended steeps, hitching into town, etc. You can set the poles a bit shorter for a long climb, or longer for a long descent.

show me the monkey
05-02-2016, 14:41
I've had bad tennis elbow for more than 15 years. This is the the only thing that worked for me:
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Band-Sports-ABI00-Therapeutic/dp/B000FML7SW

Sarcasm the elf
05-02-2016, 14:47
Laz, I can't help but recall sitting in a diner a few months ago and being asked if there was any real purpose to having collapsable poles vs fixed poles. :p

I'm sorry to hear about your recent maladies, rest assured that you can still hike farther and faster than me, even in your current condition.

OCDave
05-02-2016, 15:01
I'd trade my elbows for my knees on any long hike. Maybe, I'd spare my elbows working on anything but steep up or down sections. Then again, I am speaking as someone with healthy elbows, suspect knees and collapsable poles.

God Luck

Leo L.
05-02-2016, 15:20
Last time I had an inflammated Achilles tendon (due to overdoing some uphill jog) my wife cured me by applying curd.

rocketsocks
05-02-2016, 15:48
Last time I had an inflammated Achilles tendon (due to overdoing some uphill jog) my wife cured me by applying curd.could you expand on this a bit, you pack warm curd around it?

HeartFire
05-02-2016, 16:00
I've had issues with tennis elbow and now golfers elbow (same issue/different side of the elbow). My trekking poles didn't bother me while hiking - didn't make the elbow worse, but lifting my pack was bad. I had to learn how to pick it up and put it on in a different way. I sleep with a wrist splint now, it seems to really help, - I've tried physical therapy etc and it didn't do anything. My ortho doctor doesn't want me wearing the wrist splint during the day, just for sleep.

theoilman
05-02-2016, 16:03
I have had Tendonitis / tennis-elbow for a very long time (over 20 years). It flares up any time I do repetitive motions - recently painting 1 room. I use the simple Velcro - elastic band, about 2" wide, and it takes several weeks after a flare up (available in most pharmacies, I have tried the ones with the pad and find them not helpful). The use of hiking poles usually doesn't bother it unless it has been aggravated by something else. There are several u-tube videos on the use of hiking poles. For most people the best adjustment is so that the lower arm is horizontal. That does mean readjusting for up and down hills sometimes.

Dogwood
05-02-2016, 16:18
Trekking Pole Syndrome symptoms, also called Komperdelitis, are a treatable disease. Ask your doctor or pharmacist today about the new wonder drug Lekian. Health insurance may cover the cost. Regain your independence and active lifestyle. Call now.

Side Effects may include drowsiness, liver failure, black stools, loss of libido, increased urination, death, dizziness, irregular heartbeat, stroke, nausea, rash, a sudden rise in blood pressure, and sore feet. In most cases reported the reactions have not been severe.

Totally safe when used as directed in accordance with your doctor.

rocketsocks
05-02-2016, 16:20
Trekking Pole Syndrome symptoms, also called Komperdelitis, are a treatable disease. Ask your doctor or pharmacist today about the new wonder drug Lekian. Health insurance may cover the cost. Regain your independence and active lifestyle. Call now.

Side Effects may include drowsiness, liver failure, black stools, loss of libido, increased urination, death, dizziness, irregular heartbeat, stroke, nausea, rash, a sudden rise in blood pressure, and sore feet. In most cases reported the reactions have not been severe.

Totally safe when used as directed in accordance with your doctor. Brilliant! :D

nsherry61
05-02-2016, 19:39
. . . For most people the best adjustment is so that the lower arm is horizontal. . .
When my elbows act up, I find I need to have my poles notably shorter than having horizontal forearms.

gbolt
05-02-2016, 20:29
I have not had a chance to try out something I thought of while day hiking. But on one of my next backpacking trips, I am going to try and S-Biner the straps of the trekking poles to the Pack Shoulder Strap D rings (if that makes any sense). I often get tired of using poles and want my hands free - especially along a flat ridge. My ULA will carry them on the pack but that is not viable for off and on daily use. It may give your elbows a break. However, using poles to keep your back aligned can actually help your sciatic issue.

RockDoc
05-02-2016, 20:34
I got a horrible case of tennis elbow doing pull ups at Crossfit. I think we did 90 in about 15 minutes, along with other things of course. That was last October, so it's been six months with daily almost constant pain. No more Crossfit, no more a lot of things that have to do with arm strength. I would not like to have to use trekking poles.
It's a horrible condition because when you think you are improved, you invariably re-injur it.

Forget anti-infammatories NSAIDS, they just treat the symptoms and damage your organs, as I was told by a good naturopath.

Carbo
05-02-2016, 20:58
The sciatic pain got less intense as I continued with the hikes over a period of six months to a year. I remember intense pain from just standing still for a few minutes. Ibuprofen helped a lot, but I was concerned about the prolonged use. I'm on my second attempt of a thru this year and so far pain free and ibuprofen free. Might be related that the hiking allowed me to drop 25 lbs and this is the reason for the pain relief (?)

rocketsocks
05-02-2016, 21:00
I can't seem to even find the time to hike, not sure how you all find the time to hike and play tennis, I must be doin' somethin' wrong.

Leo L.
05-03-2016, 07:54
could you expand on this a bit, you pack warm curd around it?

Right when the pain is hot and sharp, we apply cold curd, wrap it with an elastic bandage and keep it until the curd is dry, at least 1-2hrs.
Usually tunes the pain down to a level where you can easily live with it.
Reapply several times a day.

Attention:
This treatment takes good care about the pain and the inflammation, but still the body takes the usual time to actually cure the problem.
As in most cases the hot pain will be gone after the first treatment, you may be tempted to just go on with your business- be very careful to not overdo it!

34714 34715 34716 34717

Sarcasm the elf
05-03-2016, 08:02
I can't seem to even find the time to hike, not sure how you all find the time to hike and play tennis, I must be doin' somethin' wrong.

That's because you made the mistake of having kids and raising them right. :D

rocketsocks
05-03-2016, 12:17
That's because you made the mistake of having kids and raising them right. :D
And now that ya mention it...I wonder if they make a neck
& ass band? :D

Dogwood
05-03-2016, 13:42

Umm, yet you have the time to post here? SO,……

Sarcasm the elf
05-03-2016, 13:47
And now that ya mention it...I wonder if they make a neck
& ass band? :D

They do

https://www.instagram.com/p/BELxq_ylI7_/

Dogwood
05-03-2016, 14:05
That's a first Leo.

Leo L.
05-03-2016, 14:10
Upside is, it works.
Downside is, hardly anybody is earning money with this.

Dogwood
05-03-2016, 14:14
OK, for starters where do I get curd? Can I use Tofu instead? :) Does it have to be organic Tofu?

I know I'm going to resent asking.

rocketsocks
05-03-2016, 14:40
Right when the pain is hot and sharp, we apply cold curd, wrap it with an elastic bandage and keep it until the curd is dry, at least 1-2hrs.
Usually tunes the pain down to a level where you can easily live with it.
Reapply several times a day.

Attention:
This treatment takes good care about the pain and the inflammation, but still the body takes the usual time to actually cure the problem.
As in most cases the hot pain will be gone after the first treatment, you may be tempted to just go on with your business- be very careful to not overdo it!

34714 34715 34716 34717
thats awesome, love how different parts of the worlds and cultures do things, thanks for the reply.

rocketsocks
05-03-2016, 14:45
Now I'm wondering just what makes this work, is it the salts, like Epsom salt do? Or some other medincinal compound?

Leo L.
05-03-2016, 14:45
I think you can use several things similar to curd.
One day we didn't have curd in the fridge, and we took an Italian soft cheese named Mascarpone.
Worked just the same, and had a better smell.
I know you can use plein natural yoghurt too (my wife did during a yourney to the south when she had a very painful breast infection by breast feeding the baby plus ocean swimming and we couldn't get curd then - and it worked like a charm), but you have to drain out the liquid by hanging it in a clean cloth bag for some time.

No idea about Tofu. As its non-diary and made of soy, I doubt if it works. Sure it doesn't need to be organic, you don't eat it like a medicine, and you do absorb very little only through the skin.
I think the bigger part of why it works so fine is the super-soft cooling effect, and the smaller part is, it being a diary product.

rocketsocks
05-03-2016, 15:02
aaah, thanks...yeah we just use a bag of frozen peas.

rocketsocks
05-03-2016, 15:03
aaah, thanks...yeah we just use a bag of frozen peas.but corn works also :D

One Half
05-03-2016, 19:16
As for your tennis elbow and sciatic pain, I must advocate chiropractic care. I started seeing a chiropractor several years ago after a few too many car accidents and ladder falls. One day when he asked me how I was doing my tennis elbow was acting up. And by acting up I mean I couldn't lift a piece of paper if my arm was outstretched. He adjusted the elbow. First relief I had in nearly 2 years. Truly I have no idea why I had never mentioned it to him before. The next week the pain was back and he adjusted it again. This was probably 7 years ago. I have had one more adjustment on my elbow since then after I had gone snow boarding and seperate both shoulders. It was amazing that I put up with the pain so long when there was a very simple fix! And yes, I had done all the recommended PT and icing that the physical therapists had recommended and it never helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alligator
05-04-2016, 00:00
Walking was recommended by my doctor when I had sciatica pain. Backpacking was put on hold for a little while as the cause of the sciatica was a herniated disc. The first time I got tennis elbow, I used one of those Velcro straps with the small pad. This helped relieve the pain. What cured it though was the rotator cuff surgery, my arm was near immobilized for a number of months. You'll want to avoid curing the tendonitis this way. I've just recently had the tendonitis return and have been using ice and the arm strap again hoping to get it calmed down.

Dogwood
05-04-2016, 03:02
I think you can use several things similar to curd.
One day we didn't have curd in the fridge, and we took an Italian soft cheese named Mascarpone.
Worked just the same, and had a better smell.
I know you can use plein natural yoghurt too (my wife did during a yourney to the south when she had a very painful breast infection by breast feeding the baby plus ocean swimming and we couldn't get curd then - and it worked like a charm), but you have to drain out the liquid by hanging it in a clean cloth bag for some time.

No idea about Tofu. As its non-diary and made of soy, I doubt if it works. Sure it doesn't need to be organic, you don't eat it like a medicine, and you do absorb very little only through the skin.
I think the bigger part of why it works so fine is the super-soft cooling effect, and the smaller part is, it being a diary product.

Danke. I don't resent asking. :)

Ya, agree with Rocketsocks.

Leo L.
05-04-2016, 03:28
You'r welcome!
I'm still suffering from an older Achilles tendon problem I mentioned in my first post, and it resurgented yesterday when I tried a morning jog. So the photos stem from a treatment yesterday morning (which didn't help that great), and I repeated the treatment in the eveneing, keeping the stuff applied during the night.
Today the pain is completely gone. Miracles work.
Now I just have to remember to take it easy for some time...

Jake2c
05-04-2016, 10:11
Probably not the answer you want to hear but I am about your age and currently on the trail. (Taking a few days off at my brother-in-laws). I have hiked over 850 miles now and the bottom line is really . . . . pain is part of your day. I have a bad shoulder, elbow, and currently walking through shin splints on my right leg. Lots of people quite for those reason and other don't. I rarely stop in a shelter where there isn't a discussion on what hurts. You hear "need to listen to your body" a lot, which is true and I agree, I just look at what it says as suggestions, not ultimatums. I may or may not finish the trail. I have hiked through what is probably the hardest part for me and will do at least half of the trail at a minimum (I like the round number of 1000 and my sister is at 1101.7). Just not sure if the grind is worth it. Right now most of the time I am just bored to tears. . . . But then I am not a hiker, this is only the third time I have hiked farther than 10 miles in my life so that probably explains a lot . . . .

MtDoraDave
05-04-2016, 21:38
I have had recurring tennis elbow - in my case it was tile installation elbow; tightly gripping the trowel and/or grout float and smearing the grout or thinset around caused it. It lasts way too long, but eventually heals with use of those arm bands, reduced use of arm, and moderate use of ibuprofen.

I was reluctant to try trekking poles because of this issue, but decided to try them because 1, my hands would swell when hiking without them, 2, spider webs, and 3, the tent I chose required use of trekking poles.

Other upsides to using them is the reduced impact on knees (also an intermittent issue for me) and at the end of a climb or the end of the day when a bit winded or wobbly, they have saved my butt on too many occasions to count.

...and they haven't caused my tennis elbow to come back - and on some climbs or descents I use a lot of upper body (via the poles) to take weight off my knees.

Try an inexpensive set of adjustable trekking poles if unsure of the purchase. Walmart has a pair for about $20 that are only about an ounce heavier than the Leki poles that sell for about $80. Shortening for uphill and lengthening for downhill is not a bad practice - especially if tennis elbow is an issue.

Venchka
05-04-2016, 22:13
I've had bad tennis elbow for more than 15 years. This is the the only thing that worked for me:
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Band-Sports-ABI00-Therapeutic/dp/B000FML7SW

Agreed! My wife and I both use them as needed. Walmart sells them in the pharmacy section under the ACE brand.
A shot of lidocaine and cortisone plus the tennis elbow strap on the forearm will fix you in no time.
Buy adjustable poles.

Wayne

Shutterbug
05-05-2016, 00:26
... It is quiet now, but does long distance walking tend to aggravate sciatic nerve/ pain? I have never had tennis elbow, but I can respond to the last question. I have not found that long distance walking tends to aggravate sciatic nerve/pain. A good long walk, seems to help.

1azarus
05-05-2016, 07:44
I have never had tennis elbow, but I can respond to the last question. I have not found that long distance walking tends to aggravate sciatic nerve/pain. A good long walk, seems to help.
Thanks, all. Bi-weekly Chinese pressure point massage seems to be putting me back together, so... Planning the next hike now. I think I'll stay a bit closer to home and keep working on finishing the New Englanf Trail...

cmoulder
05-05-2016, 08:08
Laz, glad to hear that's working for you.

I've only had one injury like that in my life and it was in the knee around the vastus muscle/patella. Deep massage (I think my doc called it 'rolfing') and electrical stimulation totally cured it extremely quickly.

I'd be interested to hear about your experience if you try slightly shorter or longer poles. Sometimes a very tiny change can make a difference in repetitive-use injuries. Back when I was road cycling a lot, my seat post slipped down maybe 2-3mm and as a result I developed back pain. Not guesswork because I had very precise measurements for everything then, and moving it back up immediately resolved the issue.

rafe
05-05-2016, 08:27
If you get poles, experiment with different ways of using and holding them. There's no need for a death grip on the handles. On smooth, level ground, a light touch is all that's needed, since they're mostly just for balance at that point. The straps are there for a reason, learn to use them. I've been a skier most of my life so using poles for hiking was a quick learn. I'm just saying, be patient and give yourself some time to learn to use them. I won't say poles are a requirement for hiking, but most hikers find them useful.

1azarus
05-05-2016, 09:54
...i haven't actually had any trouble with my poles -- the "tennis elbow", Rocket Socks will be pleased to hear, did not come from playing tennis. it came from working too hard on a too ambitious tear out bathroom renovation (and yes, so did the sciatica...), so I don't know for sure that using poles will be an issue. Gram weenie that i am, i just hate the thought of starting a multi-day hike with my poles and then not being able to use them comfortably, and (gasp) having to actually carry them like ballast. My poles are already very short -- I've been obsessed with trying to figure out ideal hiking pole length for a while and like them that way. I tell myself that shorter poles require less lifting which saves energy... and I somehow seem to believe myself. I am finally feeling well enough to head out for at least a long day hike as soon as the great northeast rainfall ends, and will try the poles then.

Nooga
05-05-2016, 15:20
Interestingly, in 2012 before my hike I had a case of tennis elbow and I was worried about how it would react to hiking with poles. As I hiked, it improved and actually went away. I don't know if hiking was the cure or just avoiding the repetitive actions that originally caused it to inflame?

QiWiz
05-05-2016, 16:02
I use the Gossamer Gear fixed length poles. They are light and I just carry them in my hand when I don't need them for downhills or stream crossings.

Pedaling Fool
05-09-2016, 08:43
Too much emphasis on various products, techniques, and drugs. An injury is usually a sign that something is degrading. A lot of things breakdown in our aging bodies, weightlifting is the best way to change that, not drugs and other ways to lighten the load. Life is high-impact, don't shy away from that, face it head on.

http://www.businessinsider.com/lifting-weights-is-more-important-to-your-health-than-you-think-2016-5?r=UK&IR=T

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22777332

Ten weeks of resistance training may increase lean weight by 1.4 kg, increase resting metabolic rate by 7%, and reduce fat weight by 1.8 kg. Benefits of resistance training include improved physical performance, movement control, walking speed, functional independence, cognitive abilities, and self-esteem. Resistance training may assist prevention and management of type 2 diabetes by decreasing visceral fat, reducing HbA1c, increasing the density of glucose transporter type 4, and improving insulin sensitivity.

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px

Not long ago, the muscle-building activity known as weight training generally was considered to be the domain of exceptionally strong men who competed in sports such as powerlifting, Olympic lifting, bodybuilding, and football. It was obvious that these athletes required high levels of strength and muscularity to excel in their chosen sport and that their mesomorphic physiques responded favorably to heavy resistance training with barbells and dumbbells. Average individuals saw no reason to engage in weight training, and participants in other sports typically felt that lifting weights actually would hinder their athletic performance.

As American lifestyle became more sedentary and heart disease became the leading cause of death, regular exercise was promoted for attaining physical fitness, desirable body weight, and cardiorespiratory health. However, the overwhelming emphasis was on aerobic activity with little encouragement for resistance training (29 (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px#P93)).

More recently, attention has been given to age-related muscle loss (68,95 (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px#P132)) and associated physiological problems such as bone loss (101 (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px#P165)), metabolic decline (142 (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px#P206)), fat gain (124 (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px#P188)), diabetes (46 (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px#P110)), metabolic syndrome (125 (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px#P189)), and all-cause mortality (45 (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px#P109)). Given the serious problem of sarcopenia in an increasingly sedentary and aging population (71 (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px#P135)), and the accumulating evidence that resistance exercise promotes muscle gains in men and women of all ages (144 (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px#P208)), it is understandable that leading researchers have advocated a public health mandate for sensible resistance training (109 (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px#P173)).

The series of events that seem to be associated with a large number of illnesses, injuries, and infirmities are 1) muscle loss, 2) leading to metabolic rate reduction, 3) followed by fat gain that places almost 80% of men and 70% of women 60 years of age and older in the undesirable categories of overweight or obese (47 (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px#P111)). These percentages are based on body mass index calculations that do not account for age-related sarcopenia (50 (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px#P114)). It is therefore likely that an even higher percentage of the older adult population has excess body fat (above 22% for males and above 32% for females) (4 (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px#P68)).

Muscle mass declines between 3% and 8% each decade after age 30 (46 (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px#P110)), averaging approximately 0.2 kg of lean weight loss per year (49,50 (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px#P113)). Muscle loss increases to 5% to 10% each decade after age 50 (95 (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px#P159)), averaging approximately 0.4 kg per year after the fifth decade of life (101 (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px#P165)). Skeletal muscle, which represents up to 40% of total body weight, influences a variety of metabolic risk factors, including obesity, dyslipidemia, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease (124 (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px#P188)). Muscle tissue is the primary site for glucose and triglyceride disposal, so muscle loss specifically increases the risk of glucose intolerance and associated health issues (38,46,124 (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2012/07000/Resistance_Training_is_Medicine___Effects_of.13.as px#P102)).

rocketsocks
05-09-2016, 09:56
...i haven't actually had any trouble with my poles -- the "tennis elbow", Rocket Socks will be pleased to hear, did not come from playing tennis. it came from working too hard on a too ambitious tear out bathroom renovation (and yes, so did the sciatica...), so I don't know for sure that using poles will be an issue. Gram weenie that i am, i just hate the thought of starting a multi-day hike with my poles and then not being able to use them comfortably, and (gasp) having to actually carry them like ballast. My poles are already very short -- I've been obsessed with trying to figure out ideal hiking pole length for a while and like them that way. I tell myself that shorter poles require less lifting which saves energy... and I somehow seem to believe myself. I am finally feeling well enough to head out for at least a long day hike as soon as the great northeast rainfall ends, and will try the poles then.
ah yes, if you renovated your bathroom then you've likely been spending to much time kneeling, twisting those damn wire brushes to clean copper fitting (next you'll have carpel tunnel syndrome) pushing your guts out to drill holes for vents and waste while using a dull bit that was your dads dad and likely running interference between the wife and some over zealous fixture salesman when all you really needed to know was do they deliver...sorry to hear all that. Glad to hear your back in action, I'm sure the bathroom looks great, go forth and renovate no more.

05-15-2016, 20:50
Stretching is key 4 both pur problems. A good physical or occupational therapist can show u stretching. The drug Mobic is crucial 4 my back on pack trips 4 sciatia A presc anti-inflammatory-mobic

Venchka
05-15-2016, 22:23
Stretching is key 4 both pur problems. A good physical or occupational therapist can show u stretching. The drug Mobic is crucial 4 my back on pack trips 4 sciatia A presc anti-inflammatory-mobic

Generic: Meloxicam. $10 / 90 day supply. Does nothing for tendinitis in my elbow.

Wayne

Connie
05-15-2016, 23:02
I have too much going on right now, so, I didn't read more than the first post:

1. tennis elbow - isometrics - upper arm at side, lower arm 90-degrees and out front, make soft fist, rotate hand wrist inward, back to "upright" - repeat - do not force, do not do too many reps.

My experience? My brother, the tennis player, showed another athlete.

2. sciatica - tell Good Feet you have sciatica and need Good Feet MAX for heel strike - they will make it so your heel pad takes your weight, not your heel bone. The heel strike itself transfers to the sciatic nerve. While you are at it "lateral stabilization" is a good request, because a lot of shoes made do not have good "lateral stability" and "lateral stability" of feet is important for hiking, and if the metatarsal arch needs support, they will find it, or request they look for that. Anything else? Ask them to check. In another thread: one toe a "grape"? Take the shoes. Show them that toe. Do tell them you hike in the mountains with a backpack.

My experience? They will check everything, and check again, after the initial wearing.