PDA

View Full Version : Catholic Churches along the AT: the spreadsheet

Greenlight
05-02-2016, 15:32
After not finding what I was looking for, and doing some geo-research online, I created a Google spreadsheet listing all of the Catholic Churches along the AT. I have every intention of making it better by adding more detailed information, including info like phone numbers you can call to get a ride to Mass, etc.

Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzvjLlepoY_hT1RieXQ1N2FlWUU/view?usp=sharing

"Good Catholics" :-? are supposed to make the effort to hear Mass on Sundays even when traveling. I figured that when I do my thru-hike (within the next few years), if I was zeroing in a trail town, it might be nice to know if there was a parish church within walking distance. I'd make the effort to go. Any others who might benefit from the info are welcome to have at it.

Jeff
05-02-2016, 16:01
Excellent work.

One correction for your consideration.

Manchester Center, VT You listed Christ Our Savior, which is the name of the regional parish. The church in Manchester Center is called Saint Paul Catholic Church....and we (Green Mountain House Hiker Hostel) shuttle to the church whenever needed.

Greenlight
05-02-2016, 16:03
Jeff,

This is the sort of response I was hoping for. Whenever local hostels offer shuttles, etc...and I've got the closest parish wrong, I'll update the spreadsheet and add appropriate links etc. Thanks so much.

Excellent work.

One correction for your consideration.

Manchester Center, VT You listed Christ Our Savior, which is the name of the regional parish. The church in Manchester Center is called Saint Paul Catholic Church....and we (Green Mountain House Hiker Hostel) shuttle to the church whenever needed.

Jack Tarlin
05-02-2016, 17:44
Nice post, here are some additions. Note: In smaller towns/locations, hikers might want to check ahead regarding hours, mass times, etc.

*St. Mary's Gatlinburg
*St. Michael the Archangel Erwin
*St. Elizabeth's Elizabethtown TN (Bob Peoples at Kincora Hostel attends weekly)
*Christ the King Abindon (near Damascus)
*Church of the Transformation Fincastle (not Rincastle as listed)
*Our Lady of the Valley Luray
*St. John the Baptist Front Royal
*St. Peter's Harpers Ferry (check ahead to be sure it's open)
*St. Mary's Hamburg
*St. Mary of the Assumption Cheshire MA
*St. Patrick's Parish Center Williamstown MA
*St. Elizabeth of Hungary North Adams
*St. Denis Hanover NH (Drop by, they're very nice folks!)
*St. Joseph Lincoln NH
*Our Lady of the Snows Bethel ME
*St. John Stratton
*Our Lady of the Lakes Oquossuc
*St. Lukes Rangeley

Southerner
05-02-2016, 18:02
Sorry if this comment is getting too picky, but for line 519, the city should be "Roanoke" not Roanoak, and for line 520, the town should be "Fincastle" not Rincastle.

Greenlight
05-02-2016, 18:08
Southerner,

Typos. Thanks for bringing them to my attention. I'd feel bad if someone wanted to get to Mass and couldn't find Rincastle on the map!

Sorry if this comment is getting too picky, but for line 519, the city should be "Roanoke" not Roanoak, and for line 520, the town should be "Fincastle" not Rincastle.

Greenlight
05-02-2016, 18:24
Corrections made. Here's a truncated version of it, too...only listing the churches and where they're located.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P8Zy7MvaYjO0FHghbIrdvPuS18J4eWEyTHLjuIJAMB0/edit?usp=sharing

Greenlight
05-02-2016, 20:57
Jack this is great, thanks!

Nice post, here are some additions. Note: In smaller towns/locations, hikers might want to check ahead regarding hours, mass times, etc.

*St. Mary's Gatlinburg
*St. Michael the Archangel Erwin
*St. Elizabeth's Elizabethtown TN (Bob Peoples at Kincora Hostel attends weekly)
*Christ the King Abindon (near Damascus)
*Church of the Transformation Fincastle (not Rincastle as listed)
*Our Lady of the Valley Luray
*St. John the Baptist Front Royal
*St. Peter's Harpers Ferry (check ahead to be sure it's open)
*St. Mary's Hamburg
*St. Mary of the Assumption Cheshire MA
*St. Patrick's Parish Center Williamstown MA
*St. Elizabeth of Hungary North Adams
*St. Denis Hanover NH (Drop by, they're very nice folks!)
*St. Joseph Lincoln NH
*Our Lady of the Snows Bethel ME
*St. John Stratton
*Our Lady of the Lakes Oquossuc
*St. Lukes Rangeley

saltysack
05-02-2016, 21:43
Damn I'm doing good to get to church once a month at home....your a good man if you get to church while on a thru! I usually end up praying to Saint Mattress!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenlight
05-02-2016, 21:53
Mama Mia Culpa, saltyjack! I cherish the Catholic guilt that keeps me pointed toward the steeple... ha ha ha. No, seriously if I zero on a Sunday and there's a parish close, I'd make the effort. It is always fun to see new parishes, architecture, art, etc.

Damn I'm doing good to get to church once a month at home....your a good man if you get to church while on a thru! I usually end up praying to Saint Mattress!!!!

adamkrz
05-02-2016, 22:17
Sacred Heart Catholic Church Kent Ct.

chknfngrs
05-02-2016, 22:38
Love this thread... And wouldn't you qualify for a "travelers dispensation" on a thru?

Greenlight
05-03-2016, 06:52
chknfngrs,

Probably? Not really sure - I'm one of those guys who just likes going to Mass. And I do like architecture, too.

Love this thread... And wouldn't you qualify for a "travelers dispensation" on a thru?

Deacon
05-03-2016, 07:03
Green light,
Good for you for starting this thread and standing up for what you believe in. I really appreciate your taking time putting together this listing.

Schnitzel
05-03-2016, 07:07
Thank you so much for putting together this thread! When I hiked, my hiking buddy was a very observant Catholic, and we never seemed to be in a place where we could find a Catholic church for him to attend mass. He didn't complain much, but I know that it was very painful for him. I know that this thread will bring comfort to many hikers out there!

chknfngrs
05-03-2016, 07:53
Awesome!! Thanks for sharing

saltysack
05-03-2016, 09:57
I guess hiker stink would be acceptable in a church as long as you sit in a pew!!!![emoji16]

Jebo
05-03-2016, 10:17
I guess hiker stink would be acceptable in a church as long as you sit in a pew!!!![emoji16]

The locals might be incensed

saltysack
05-03-2016, 10:17
Ha

Greenlight
05-03-2016, 10:22
As an aficionado since childhood of horribly corny jokes, I applaud you for this post. My goal is to be the catalyst along the trail for Catholic parishes to re institute the use of incense at Mass. And instead of the priest getting angry letters about endangering their asthmatic children, the parishoners will be thanking Father with tears in their eyes. My nasty hiker stinkiness will be the cause of those tears, but still...

saltysack
05-03-2016, 10:31
Don't go bathing in the holy water....

Roamin
05-03-2016, 12:32
Greenlight, God Bless you for your efforts! I mean that sincerely; I am headed out shortly for a week long hike and I too started looking for a Mass close by. This is a wonderful reference.

Not to turn this into a theological dissertation, but too often we (myself included) do not openly live our Catholic faith for fear of secular backlash.

And to answer chknfngrs, yes special disposition is given to travelers on Sunday if they are unable to locate services, unfamiliarity with the area, or similar reasons. Armed with this thread, I imagine working out transportation may be the most challenging aspect of attending Mass.

perdidochas
05-03-2016, 13:29

Having brought myself and boys to Mass after a Boy Scout campout (and before changing), the people around you don't mind, for the most part. They are usually just happy that you are at Mass.

Greenlight
05-03-2016, 13:58
I'm sure I'll focus mainly on parishes that are in trail towns. I'd walk a couple miles for Mass. Other than that it probably won't be much different than any other zero day: 1. Find hostel or motel. 2. Locate AYCE restaurant, pig out. 3. Attend Mass. 4. Try to win the local eating contest. 5. Shower. 6. Take nap. 7. Return to AYCE and ask if your previous payment still counts. 8. Do laundry 9. Locate grocery store to restock food bag. 10. Find ice-cream store. 11. Return to hostel/motel and try to get some sleep. 12. Hit the trail again.

Greenlight, God Bless you for your efforts! I mean that sincerely; I am headed out shortly for a week long hike and I too started looking for a Mass close by. This is a wonderful reference.

Not to turn this into a theological dissertation, but too often we (myself included) do not openly live our Catholic faith for fear of secular backlash.

And to answer chknfngrs, yes special disposition is given to travelers on Sunday if they are unable to locate services, unfamiliarity with the area, or similar reasons. Armed with this thread, I imagine working out transportation may be the most challenging aspect of attending Mass.

Dogwood
05-03-2016, 14:10
I need to cross reference this data with AA meetings, buffets, holistic healers, isobutane canisters, and size 14 EEEE trail runner availability along the AT. :D

Greenlight
05-03-2016, 14:19
And masseuses

I need to cross reference this data with AA meetings, buffets, holistic healers, isobutane canisters, and size 14 EEEE trail runner availability along the AT. :D

Trillium
05-06-2016, 14:11
When I attempted my thru in 2013, I had been a lector just previously to going, so I gave my daughter my Lectionary and had her send the readings to me in mail drops for weekends that I wasn't in a trailtown.

Another resource for locating Catholic churches along with address, phone and times of mass is on the following website: http://www.masstimes.org I use this anytime I am away from home.

Lastly, I now use http://www.usccb.org/readings to get daily readings at home. Obviously to access on a daily basis on the trail might use up more battery resources than you would want to. But if you can't get to mass on the weekend, you might want to access the Sunday readings. It's great to read them in the majesty of the woods and on the mountains.

Roamin
05-06-2016, 21:36
I know this is beyond what the OP intended, but you can sign up at The Catholic Company for daily emails with readings (linked to USCCB site) and meditations, saint of the day and the Pope's intentions. I use it everyday. It is a great resource.