PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight backpacking gear: The survey

Greenlight
05-02-2016, 16:40
I created a Google Form asking what lightweight gear you carry. My hope in putting it together is to help hikers (such as myself) find lightweight equipment easier. Hopefully it'll take some of the sting and sticker shock out of gearing up, and give everyone a snapshot of what others are carrying. Before getting to the trail.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1QNiutNKPi8yMiAcZotohK8UNb7ggVzDorq8yaCzuGiU/viewform

Anyone who fills out the "survey" will have access to the results. On top of that, I'll set the spreadsheet that the form creates to public and post it below in this thread once someone responds. Google doesn't create the spreadsheet until someone responds.

DuneElliot
05-02-2016, 16:55
I did it, but I don't think I did it right. I was waiting for a place to type in weights, separately from my gear list.

Bigfoot86
05-02-2016, 17:06
Just filled it out. Thanks intreasted in seeing others responses

Greenlight
05-02-2016, 17:06
This link should work if you want to view all responses. Thanks for those who have input data so far. I think this may be able to help a lot of people.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ktI7HewtGXHi9kpLiG_J8nRRw_ETb2BIHq7d4_B5aMU/edit?usp=sharing

Greenlight
05-02-2016, 17:08
I think I set it so you can edit your responses. Yeah, Google Forms doesn't let you do multiple entries under one heading, so I chose "paragraph" mode so you can just type in all the details conversationally under each piece of gear. Weight, price, commentary if you want to ... or not.

I did it, but I don't think I did it right. I was waiting for a place to type in weights, separately from my gear list.

DuneElliot
05-02-2016, 17:18
It will be interesting to see it all combined and see what items crop up time and again. I think the one thing you missed was cook pot. I carry a plastic cup for coffee, but also have a cooking pot but didn't see a place to list it.

Greenlight
05-02-2016, 17:51
I will put it in there

It will be interesting to see it all combined and see what items crop up time and again. I think the one thing you missed was cook pot. I carry a plastic cup for coffee, but also have a cooking pot but didn't see a place to list it.

show me the monkey
05-02-2016, 18:00
It would be nice to be able to edit after posting it. I'm line 7

Greenlight
05-02-2016, 18:25
You should be able to, pretty sure that I allowed user edits...let me check.

It would be nice to be able to edit after posting it. I'm line 7

Greenlight
05-02-2016, 18:29
I checked the box that said "show respondents a link to edit their responses" which is the only control Google Forms gives you to control that. Hope that helps. I'll continue to play around with it to see if I can find a solution.

gbolt
05-02-2016, 20:20
This is pretty cool to see others responses. Sorry I read about the paragraph feature so I elaborated to much! I do have weights and cost for everything because I am a Weanie!

Greenlight
05-02-2016, 20:45
gbolt,

I think the level of detail that responders give really helps those wondering what their options are, based on what people are actually using (as opposed to advertising hype) so thank you. For everyone who wants to go back multiple times to see more responses, just click on the original link.
Once you get to the page, click on the "responses" tab up at the top. The format is really much easier to read than trying to access the spreadsheet.

This is pretty cool to see others responses. Sorry I read about the paragraph feature so I elaborated to much! I do have weights and cost for everything because I am a Weanie!

Abi
05-03-2016, 01:29
Filled it out...I keep my whole gear list in Google Sheets with weights

Greenlight
05-04-2016, 06:51
So far there have been 18 responses and there is a lot of great gear listed. If you missed it the first time around, what I've posted is a survey with all paragraph type answers. Once you complete the survey adding your own gear, you'll have access to the other answers.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1QNi...zuGiU/viewform (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1QNiutNKPi8yMiAcZotohK8UNb7ggVzDorq8yaCzuGiU/viewform)

Gambit McCrae
05-04-2016, 07:17
I did it, the layering form was a little too in depth for me. I don't bring a lot of extra clothes