PDA

View Full Version : AT between Rockfish Gap and Reed's Gap

scothiker
12-29-2005, 15:45
I'm planning to be in Charlottesville the third weekend in January. Since I'm relatively new to hiking, and don't know the Virginia sections, what is a good AT hike on that section and how long does it take to get there from Cville? What about the weather? Any information greatly appreciated.

Skyline
12-29-2005, 16:27
Driving on I-64 from C-ville to Rockfish Gap should take about 45 minutes, give or take. Exit I-64 at the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive exit near the top of the mountain, and head east briefly on US250.

You can park just north of the entrance (off US250) to the Blue Ridge Parkway or at the nearby Inn at Afton (check in at the lobby tho), and hike south to Reeds Gap. But in January, you never know when weather will close the BRP so if you were thinking of hitching back to your start point--I wouldn't count on it.

Here's a better plan: Waynesboro, the fairly large town a few miles west of Rockfish Gap, has a nice network of trail angels who do shuttles. If the Visitor Center is open at Rockfish Gap, they should have a list. If not open, drive into Waynesboro. Rockfish Gap Outfitters (on the right just before town) or the YMCA on S. Wayne Ave. should have a list of shuttlers.

If you can hook up with a trail angel and the BRP is open, I'd get him/her to ride you to Reeds Gap. Then hike north to your vehicle parked at Rockfish Gap. Even though the trail angel network doesn't charge $$$ for rides between RG and Waynesboro, this shuttle is longer and more involved so it would be appropriate to make a generous offer to your driver.

Weather? Well, in the third week of January it's Deep Winter in the Blue Ridge. It could be in the single digits or lower with lots of snow or ice. At least you should be prepared for this. But I've also been fortunate to hike on New Years Eve in 70 degree weather. How liucky do you feel?

scothiker
12-29-2005, 21:58
Thanks, Sky. That is all good advice. I think I'll check the weather right before I go; I'm going up not just for hiking, so I'll be there anyway and hopefully I can get a hike in as well. Happy trails...