PDA

View Full Version : Been Planning for a year, lost 100 pounds, and leaving on Sunday 5/8/16

PacDaddy
05-02-2016, 20:07
Well I have not posted much here but I have read almost 5 times a week Since August 2015. Since July 2015 I have been on a journey to loose weight and be able to section hike on the trail. I want to start out and do a few sections and attempt a thru in the next 3 years before I turn 50. I figure I will learn each time I go and keep improving my gear, body and knowledge.

So currently I am 47 been active and played sports a lot then let myself go, well more like, going, going, gone. Then I had this light bulb go over my head expirence and its time to correct the wrong. Fast forward 10 months later and I am knocking on being 100 pounds lighter than I was this time last year. If I don't make 100 pounds before springer it will we a day or two later. Right now as I type this I am down 96 pounds. I will hit the trail next Monday from Springer. I have worked my azz off hiked a few hundred miles so far, flat land and small hills with a full pack 37-40 pounds been in the gym since January working on cardio and have living on the stair climber and arc trainer at this point am as ready as I will be for this trip, my first trip on the trail. I would be amiss if I did not say thank you to everyone who have helped me along the way with information, tips, stories and knowledge.

I had a boating injury about 8 years ago and have limited mobility in one arm but its strong and works for a trekking pole.
Im still a bit of big boy at 6'3" and 255 pounds so if you see a large fellow out there during the next few weeks it will most likely be me. We plan on spending 10 days hiking our own hike. My total pack weight all in will be 39 pounds including all food and water before a resupply box at neels gap. I will be traveling with my son now 20 years old and my brother in law.

I can't tell you how excited I am as the days get closer. I worry about sleep the last few nights before our trip up the mountain. The next few days will be spent packing and repacking doing light workouts and waiting for time. maybe someone else will read this and is headed out about the same time as it would be neat to cross paths.

Thanks again and best wises to all,
Trail Name - Hundred Down
son - Ceasar - as from the Planet of the apes

Malto
05-02-2016, 20:20
You are the complete opposite of so many AT attempters who are unwilling to make any effort to increase their chance of success. Congrats on the weight loss and I wish you all the success in your hike. I will follow your hike and maybe we will cross paths in PA. Great work!

RockDoc
05-02-2016, 20:28
Yes, congrats on your hard work to get ready for the trail.
You should be the rule, rather than the exception!
Weight is just a number, it's your level of fitness that counts.

saltysack
05-02-2016, 20:32
Awesome work! I'd say you truly earned your trail name!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenlight
05-02-2016, 20:53
You rock, you realize that right?

Carbo
05-02-2016, 21:12
PacDaddy, that's an amazing accomplishment. Doing a flip-flop and hope to meet you on the SOBO half of the hike.

Good luck and enjoy your journey!
-Carbo

Nodust
05-02-2016, 22:48
Good luck and have fun.

Your level of fitness and dedication is an inspiration.

You will have a great time in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jboggg
05-02-2016, 22:59
Way to prepare! You guys should have a great experience. I am a noob as well after getting started two years ago and just doing short section hikes so far. I am a bigger guy as well and the one shared experience I would share is to watch your initial mileage starting off. With all of the cardio and training you have done in preparation you will feel like you can walk all day. I had trained a lot for my first hike as well and failed to appreciate the toll the descents take on the joints. My first two days I did way to many miles (I was 50 at the time), and I still nurse a strained Achilles to this day. Have a great time and I look forward to reading a follow up when you are done.

HooKooDooKu
05-02-2016, 23:39
Wow PacDaddy... and I thought I was doing good.

My story is similar. I'm heading toward 50yo and wasn't a total couch potato, but over the years my weight just continued to rise. Then three things sort of came together: hated what I saw on the scale, saw the movie "Mile... Mile and a Half", and realized I would be getting enough vacation this year that I might be able to take 3 weeks off from work. So I started eating less and walking the neighborhood after the kids were in bed. After about 8 months and 1,000 miles of walking, I had lost 50lbs and snagged a permit to hike the JMT this summer.

So I can't say "hope to see ya on the trail", as I'll be on the other side of the country in the Sierra Nevada mountain. But I can say "congratulations" on such a tremendous accomplishment.

PacDaddy
05-03-2016, 06:30
Thanks for the kind words above, and more great advise. I have debated the beginning mileage for a long time and realize we just need to see how it goes. joboggg doing 50 in 2 days is amazingly insane I don't think I have ever read that before. we are planning 8-10 with a max of 16 but honestly I have no idea. I think that is one of the mystiques of the trail so much un known before you go and beyond the next bend.

Malto
05-03-2016, 06:39
Thanks for the kind words above, and more great advise. I have debated the beginning mileage for a long time and realize we just need to see how it goes. joboggg doing 50 in 2 days is amazingly insane I don't think I have ever read that before. we are planning 8-10 with a max of 16 but honestly I have no idea. I think that is one of the mystiques of the trail so much un known before you go and beyond the next bend.

I wouldn't stress over the mileage, take it as it comes. Plan the first resupply and adjust from there. You will very likely build mileage much quicker than you think over time time.

BonBon
05-03-2016, 08:25
Have a great time! Congrats on your success- it is very inspirational to hear of stories like yours. The sprint in the beginning is almost irresistible, but easing into the hike makes more sense if you are going a long way. Do you have a journal? I would love to follow you.

One Half
05-03-2016, 09:58
Congrats on the weight loss! Have fun hiking!

jboggg
05-03-2016, 11:03

I meant to say I was 50 years old at the time of my first hike. I actually hiked just over 30 miles (Springer to Mountain Crossings) in 48 hours which proved to be way to many miles right out of the gate for me personally. Your plan of 8 - 10 miles per day would have been a much better plan for me as well. It's easy to get a bit of tunnel vision and get caught up in miles per day. My biggest take away from my first hike was to not be overly concerned about miles, and just enjoy the journey.

Roamin
05-03-2016, 11:51
PacDaddy, I wish you well on your hike! It is inspirational to say the least!

I am moving in on 46 and the scale has been creeping up for me as well. I am headed out for a week long journey with three of my children and I hope to use this as a springboard to get back in shape.

Again, I wish you the best!

Berserker
05-03-2016, 12:00
Good job on the weight loss, and have fun out there on your hike.

The Solemates
05-03-2016, 12:10
great job! hopefully now that you have that weight loose you can also lose it! :)

Seatbelt
05-03-2016, 13:13
Inspiring! Hope to see you next week. I will be hiking southbound in GA next week with two of my sons from Deep Gap, NC to Neels Gap. Hope to meet you! Seatbelt

PacDaddy
05-03-2016, 15:09
Inspiring! Hope to see you next week. I will be hiking southbound in GA next week with two of my sons from Deep Gap, NC to Neels Gap. Hope to meet you! Seatbelt

We should make Neels on the night of the 11th or by noon on the 12th. We plan to take a night at Blood mountain cabins and be back on the trail the next morning so by the 13th we should be NOBO again. Look for 3 guys none of which could be considered small. It would be very cool to meet up and share a story or something.

Seatbelt
05-03-2016, 16:47
We should make Neels on the night of the 11th or by noon on the 12th. We plan to take a night at Blood mountain cabins and be back on the trail the next morning so by the 13th we should be NOBO again. Look for 3 guys none of which could be considered small. It would be very cool to meet up and share a story or something.
We will probly meet you somewhere between Unicoi and Low Gap shelter on Sat the 14th. Just guessing.

PacDaddy
05-04-2016, 18:09
Seatbelt how old are your boys?

Marta
05-04-2016, 23:39
Wow! Congratulations on what you've done so far. Best wishes on the next stage of the adventure!