PDA

View Full Version : Start/End Point Help

PinkyLovesPie
05-03-2016, 08:11
Hi there, my husband and I are planning a section hike between the Shenandoah Nat. Park, VA and Blue Mountains, PA (as listed in the photo below. Can anyone tell me what the starting point/ending point towns are? (for shuttle purposes).

We've never been on the A.T. before and thought we'd start on what we thought we found as the easiest. Seems we can't find what the actual starting and ending towns are! Going by this picture, can anyone offer any help? Would be much appreciated. It will be our 25 wedding anniversary trip, so want it to be special but feeling a bit confused with the planning at the moment. Just purchased the A.T. Guide, but am still trying to figure it out. Thanks in advance!

moldy
05-03-2016, 08:57
You are a little confused (or I am). The photo you refer to references the 100 mile section of Appalachian Trail that transits Shenandoah National Park Starting near Waynesboro Va (AT milemarker 861.3 at the South end) and Possums Rest Overlook (AT milemarker 965.5 on the North end). (Near Front Royal VA). The Blue Mountain Trail in Central PA is about 280 miles North of that point.

backtrack213
05-03-2016, 09:01
Waynesboro is the closest town to the park if you are heading north. The first town you hit after leaving SNP is front royal. Front royal you can contact the front royal hostel and get a shuttle where you need for a fee. Same with waynesboro there are other shuttle you can choose from in the guidebook.

PinkyLovesPie
05-03-2016, 09:21
Very helpful information! Thank you both, so much. So, if we want to trek the 100 miles (and we do) then we would park at Front Royal, VA and then shuttle down to Waynesboro, VA, is that right? I admit, I am confused by the photo. So, we do not actually even enter PA? Is that right? Thanks so much for your help and patience.

PinkyLovesPie
05-03-2016, 09:22
I forgot to clarify that we are indeed planning to hike northbound.

backtrack213
05-03-2016, 09:33
Yes, hopefully the shuttle will travel that far if not you may be able to grab a bus of some kind but contact them in advance and see what they can do. There are more shuttle options in waynesboro then in front royal. Call around and see who can help you. You also will not hit PA unless you keep moving north another 100 miles past SNP.

PinkyLovesPie
05-03-2016, 09:39
Super! Thank you so much! We're just starting out with the planning stage, so this is really helpful to know. Appreciate you taking the time. Will also check into bus options.

PinkyLovesPie
05-03-2016, 10:12
You are a little confused (or I am). The photo you refer to references the 100 mile section of Appalachian Trail that transits Shenandoah National Park Starting near Waynesboro Va (AT milemarker 861.3 at the South end) and Possums Rest Overlook (AT milemarker 965.5 on the North end). (Near Front Royal VA). The Blue Mountain Trail in Central PA is about 280 miles North of that point.

Thank you SO much for adding the mile markers. Just found them in our A.T. Guide! Makes a HUGE difference to see it in print as Rockfish Gap as our starting point. I see that the picture was completely wrong now whereas before I had no idea! Thank you so, so much!

Berserker
05-03-2016, 12:07
For shuttlers in the area check out the AT Shuttle List (just Google "AT Shuttle" and it's one of the first things that pops up). This gives the names of individuals and businesses that run shuttles up and down the AT. I have gotten most of my shuttles off of this list. They usually charge per mile. For parking go to http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/. This site lists every possible parking spot along the AT from large safe parking areas to remote pullouts that fit 1 car.

It sounds like you have a guide already, but if not look at the AT Companion or AWOL's AT Guide. They both have similar information that helps with planning.

illabelle
05-03-2016, 12:23
Pinky, the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) maintains a PDF listing of AT shuttles organized from Georgia to Maine. Link below will get you there. Just call one of the names listed, tell them your time frame, agree on the cost, and set up where to meet and when. Used this list MANY times!

http://appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/transportation-options
Oh, and I love pie, too!

Looks like Berserker beat me to it!

PinkyLovesPie
05-03-2016, 20:26
Thank you both so much for the link! What a help that is and very much appreciated! Any other tips or web resources you feel like sending my way, please feel free. :) Great info for this novice!

shelb
05-03-2016, 23:33
We did this hike a few years ago! It is awesome! Below is a link to a parking lot guide (unofficial). When we went, our shuttle driver suggested we ask permission to park at a near-by camp between one of the last shelters and Front Royal. Sorry, but I can't remember the name. It was perfect!

Good luck!