PDA

View Full Version : Bag to quilt...what to buy???

saltysack
05-03-2016, 10:53
After fighting with my down bag for a few years I've decided to switch to a quilt for all seasons. I toss and turn a lot and get tangled up with the bag...I currently use a marmot helium 15* down bag from late Sept to late April then switch to a 45*JRB Sierra stealth quilt. Looking for a good affordable, light 10* quilt....will be used I top of a xtherm mat. Prefer to be under $400....Will be used mainly on southern AT with a few fall trips out west. Any recs appreciated....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hosh
05-03-2016, 11:02
I have 2 EE quilts, 30 & 20. Love them both, well made, light and a good value.

10 deg 850 fill, reg/reg, 22 oz, $335 to your door

saltysack
05-03-2016, 11:11
I have 2 EE quilts, 30 & 20. Love them both, well made, light and a good value.

10 deg 850 fill, reg/reg, 22 oz, $335 to your door

Thx...are EE conservatively rated? I sleep lil cold think 10* good choice?

Hosh
05-03-2016, 11:21
I don't think conservatively rated is the right term. For me, head wear and foot wear become a key ingredient as temperatures drop.

I was just in 45 deg overnights (guessing here, but we could see our breath at 8 pm) at 5300' in GSMNP and slept well in the 30 deg, no straps, foot box closed, ss top baselayer, lightweight beanie.

If I remember, the higher end quilts have a little more fill weight at a given temp rating than EE. They are/were more expensive

I would email Tyler at EE and get his advice.

Cheyou
05-03-2016, 11:23
Thx...are EE conservatively rated? I sleep lil cold think 10* good choice?

I have a EE 20° quilt. Camped on the AT in the low 20° under a tarp was warm and comfy. I'm a male was using a Thermarest xtherm short with long johns.

Cheyou
05-03-2016, 11:31
I have a EE 20° quilt. Camped on the AT in the low 20° under a tarp was warm and comfy. I'm a male was using a Thermarest xtherm short with long johns.

Pad chioce is as important as quilt choice. Would have bin cold with a lesser pad.

DuneElliot
05-03-2016, 11:32
For price and quality and customer service, you can't beat EE. Looking at their down fill weights comparable to to the same size and temp rating in other bags, they often contain an 1oz or so more of the same quality down. With a quilt, you also want to take your pad into concern,

Dogwood
05-03-2016, 12:46
Have you considered buying a used Katabatic Sawatch quilt? Stock Katabatic quilts(no overfill necessary) are one of the most conservatively temp rated quilts. Although quilt systems open up a can of worms of a fiddle factor and lots of ifs, ands, and buts I absolutely do believe Katabatic quilts can be said to be conservatively/accurately temp rated. Plus their attachment system is the best in my book critical in 10* winter temps when one expects to sleep at or possibly slightly below the quilt temp rating for a toss and turner. For myself, also as a toss and turner, I know if I'm opting for a quilt in those 10* temps and want to/need to! stay warm IMO there is less room for sleep system temp rating discrepancies, losing warmth, user/gear fiddle factor questions, etc. compared to using a 45* quilt in 45* temps.

I've never seen two people with the same quilt system considering the user, specific sleep clothes, under insulation, maybe shelter choice, etc are part of the sleep system.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/fs-katabatic-gear-sawatch-15-quilt-66-850fp-wr-down/

MuddyWaters
05-03-2016, 14:16
A good deal on high quality quilts is hammock gear currently, and for past few yrs.$100 cheaper than some others, and also offer custom work and overfill, which the busier cottage makers that have gone "mainstream" no longer do.

Stevep311
05-03-2016, 14:27
A good deal on high quality quilts is hammock gear currently, and for past few yrs.$100 cheaper than some others, and also offer custom work and overfill, which the busier cottage makers that have gone "mainstream" no longer do.

I would agree that HammockGear is an excellent choice and they're quilts are definitely rated conservatively.

cneill13
05-03-2016, 15:39
+1000 on Hammock Gear

My Hammock Gear Burrow 20 Degree Quilt is my favorite piece of equipment. I favor by recommendation the sewn foot box.

http://www.hammockgear.com/down-quilts/

Carl

soumodeler
05-03-2016, 16:33
Just switched from a bag to a ZPacks quilt (40*) and so far I am liking it. Used it for my section thru the Smokies last week. Temp rating was dead on for me and the quality of the bag was great. I would size up one more in length if I were to to it again though as I personally like to have something bunched up around my neck.

DuneElliot
05-03-2016, 17:10
Out of curiosity I compared the same size and type (0F) of quilts from EE (Revelation) and Hammock Gear (Burrow). Approximately the same length and width. EE's quilt had two more ozs of down (same 850 fill). So that should give you an idea that their ratings are pretty conservative also.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Both have a variety of color options and sizes. EE gives you the added option of sewn or open footbox, and vertical baffles vs horizontal baffles, which was the selling point for me (down doesn't shift to the sides while moving with vertical baffles).

Hosh
05-03-2016, 17:27
Personally, a open foot box is better due to the ability to vent in higher temperatures. The opening that is left after zipping and clinching the foot box is pretty small. The weight penalty is almost negligible

gbolt
05-03-2016, 18:55
Many would say that Quilts above 30º should be snapped for venting purposes. Below 30º that hole can cause a lot of heat loss; so most go with a Sewn Foot Box now. Hammock Gear and Undergrount Quilts are used by many Hammock Hangers. ZPacks puts out a very nice quilt but tends to be more expensive. EE has a lot of ground dwellers that are switching from Sleeping Bags. It was interesting to read DuneElliot's comparison. I looked at EE but couldn't be swayed from Hammock Gear Burrow and an UGQ 50º Flight Jacket. I like the personal touch of the Cottage Industry and being able to email or phone and discuss a purchase. The most important thing is that a person is happy with the purchase for years to come.

Cheyou
05-03-2016, 19:46
I'm glad my foot box opens . I put a sock in the hole .

martinb
05-03-2016, 20:23
!0*? I'd be looking at something with a hood. I like the mont bell bags because you can move around and still have a hood. You will need head gear anyway, check these out.

Stevep311
05-03-2016, 21:21
I'm glad my foot box opens . I put a sock in the hole .

regarding the hole, it is a probelm that needs to be dealt with especially in a 0* to 30* quilt that is not a sewn footbox. I ordered my HammockGear Burrow 10* with a footbox baffle. I am able to pull a bit of the baffle into the hole then cinch it down tight and it solves the problem.

saltysack
05-03-2016, 21:41
Many would say that Quilts above 30º should be snapped for venting purposes. Below 30º that hole can cause a lot of heat loss; so most go with a Sewn Foot Box now. Hammock Gear and Undergrount Quilts are used by many Hammock Hangers. ZPacks puts out a very nice quilt but tends to be more expensive. EE has a lot of ground dwellers that are switching from Sleeping Bags. It was interesting to read DuneElliot's comparison. I looked at EE but couldn't be swayed from Hammock Gear Burrow and an UGQ 50º Flight Jacket. I like the personal touch of the Cottage Industry and being able to email or phone and discuss a purchase. The most important thing is that a person is happy with the purchase for years to come.

I was thinking same about the sewn foot ax for a winter bag....I like the Velcro set up my 45* quilt but for cold weather rather have closed as my feet get cold.

saltysack
05-03-2016, 21:47
!0*? I'd be looking at something with a hood. I like the mont bell bags because you can move around and still have a hood. You will need head gear anyway, check these out.

I already have a lot of hoods on my sleep layers....

Cap 4 quarter zip hoody, montbell ul down parka, Houdini, helium 2 rain parka all have hoods....and fleece beenie...I've got more "HOODS" than Harlem!!!!![emoji51]

Rex Clifton
05-03-2016, 21:50
I have both Hammock Gear and Underground Quilts products and would give a slight edge to Hammock Gear.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Dogwood
05-04-2016, 03:45
Personally, a open foot box is better due to the ability to vent in higher temperatures. The opening that is left after zipping and clinching the foot box is pretty small. The weight penalty is almost negligible

Poster stated he already has a 45* quilt. A 10* quilt is going to be his winter quilt. Less need for venting. GREATER need for maintaining warmth in that temp quilt during winter and with his tossing and turning sleeping habit.

… Below 30º that hole can cause a lot of heat loss; so most go with a Sewn Foot Box now. Hammock Gear and Undergrount Quilts are used by many Hammock Hangers. EE has a lot of ground dwellers that are switching from Sleeping Bags…

yar, yar, and yar

Just switched from a bag to a ZPacks quilt (40*) and so far I am liking it. Used it for my section thru the Smokies last week. Temp rating was dead on for me and the quality of the bag was great. I would size up one more in length if I were to to it again though as I personally like to have something bunched up around my neck.

I hear ZP's sleeping bags referred to differently. So what is it a quilt or a hoodless sleeping bag the way you have yours set up? It might help as ZP does offer various options i.e." zip, no zip, full zip, 3/4 zip, zipper draft tube, no zipper draft tube, pad straps. no load straps,… Seems it could be best calling it a hybrid bag?…something in between a FF Vireo and FF Flicker.

Joe makes a good comment here: An Elastic cord can be cinched tight around your neck to keep out drafts. The listed length of the bag extends to the neck of a person that height. Size up a length if you want extra room to wrap the quilt around your ears or tuck your head in.

One of the features one might consider is having a down filled collar in a winter quilt such as offered in Katabatic Elite Series quilts. It can make difference trapping in the heat. And again the pad attachment system is the best pad attachment system to avoid drafts especially important in a winter bag and as a tosser and turner.

Hosh
05-04-2016, 12:47
Poster stated he already has a 45* quilt. A 10* quilt is going to be his winter quilt. Less need for venting. GREATER need for maintaining warmth in that temp quilt during winter and with his tossing and turning sleeping habit.

He also said he was going on the southern AT and out West in the Fall. Hardly extreme winter conditions, so still a need for venting. Stuffing clothing or some other insulator in the bottom of the foot box will prevent drafts and heat loss from the minimal opening.

Dogwood
05-04-2016, 13:14
Maybe better need to switch to his 45* quilt too? :)

Not always a need to haul around the extra wt of a lower temp rated quilt?

saltysack
05-04-2016, 13:22
He also said he was going on the southern AT and out West in the Fall. Hardly extreme winter conditions, so still a need for venting. Stuffing clothing or some other insulator in the bottom of the foot box will prevent drafts and heat loss from the minimal opening.

I get what your saying but I tend to sleep cold...especially my feet. The summer trips Ive taken I've never opened up the foot box on my 45* quilt. Really should invest in down socks but to pricey....honestly I hate warm weather trips so typical plan accordingly. Even with a good 15* down bag I rarely get to warm unless it's over 40*. Even with sewn foot box shouldn't be an issue regulating temperature. Thx all for the great information!

Hosh
05-04-2016, 17:16
Whelp, that's a pretty cold sleeper.

Seems like you were going to do the Collegiate Peaks loop this September. You might want to consider some good head and foot wear. Not to prolong beating the EE drum much longer, I have their Hoodlum and their booties. Both are synthetic and the Hoodlum has a nice collar that drapes over your shoulders. The synthetic material is easier to clean and the weight penalty is pretty trivial.

saltysack
05-04-2016, 18:20
Whelp, that's a pretty cold sleeper.

Seems like you were going to do the Collegiate Peaks loop this September. You might want to consider some good head and foot wear. Not to prolong beating the EE drum much longer, I have their Hoodlum and their booties. Both are synthetic and the Hoodlum has a nice collar that drapes over your shoulders. The synthetic material is easier to clean and the weight penalty is pretty trivial.

Thx...looking at that vs going w long and wide option for head coverage if need.....

Venchka
05-04-2016, 22:51
What is the weight/bulk penalty if you bought a 20 degree quilt and add the 45 degree quit on top if/when you know that temperatures will be below 20 degrees?
That said, my WM Alpinlite feels like it is plenty wide for tossing and turning.
Good luck with your choice.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

gbolt
05-05-2016, 16:43
HG Burrow 20º 15D Argon Outer 10D Inner 20.2 oz.
UQ 50º Flight Jacket also Argon Outer 10.35oz. Together is still under 2lbs.
When in doubt I take both and it is why I purchased both. Still Wondering about staking them to avoid needing a 0º TQ.

saltysack
05-05-2016, 17:00
Looking like HG 20* with 2oz over stuff should be good to around 10-15* in reg/wide around 24oz.....$300

Studlintsean
05-05-2016, 17:17
I agree with others in that if you get cold feet, I would look into a quilt that is fully closed at the bottom. I personally like a bag for that cold (not trying to persuade you) and use the WM Alpinelite mentioned above. I'm a bigger guy (5'11, 220, 46 chest) and have plenty of room in that bag with a MB exlite.

Venchka
05-05-2016, 20:02
Looking like HG 20* with 2oz over stuff should be good to around 10-15* in reg/wide around 24oz.....$300

Did you see the WM Versalite in the for sale ads here?

Wayne

saltysack
05-05-2016, 20:29
No but really toss and turn a lot...tired of getting wrapped up in a bag with a hood..I've really come to like quilts better. Should be fine on top of xtherm.

Venchka
05-05-2016, 22:19
Fair enough. Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.