PDA

View Full Version : Upper/Lower Walnut Bottoms Info Needed (36/37)

doingtime
05-04-2016, 06:56
Looking to section hike starting on the 22nd from Davenport Gap to Hot Springs. I want to camp at 37 the first night (Lower Walnut Bottoms) but it's full for the 21st. Anybody got these reservations and have room for one?

I called the GSMNP office and they said it was perfectly fine to camp @ 36 (upper). Does anyone have info on 37 they could share? I have a long drive and want to make sure I'm set for the day/night.

doingtime
05-04-2016, 09:00
I meant to say does anyone have info on 36 (upper). I understand this is more of a horse camp, but it's used for overflow if 37 is full.

HooKooDooKu
05-04-2016, 09:09
Didn't learn until after I had camped at #37 that it is one of the most popular campsite in GSMNP... which basically means there are a lot of mice. So far it is the only camp site I've ever stayed at where I personally had a food bag damaged by mice. I'm not sure if it was while I had it sitting on the ground while preparing a meal of if it was while it was on the bear cables. While I've never personally seen it, I've been told by a relative that has also camped a lot in GSMNP that they have actually watched a mouse climb the cable that you hook to the bottom of the tree to access the packs on the bear cables.

Of course other options would be to camp at Davenport Gap Shelter (but given that you're starting your section hike from "Davenport Gap", I'm guessing you knew that and didn't want to say there as I've read it sometimes has a reputation of being a part-hut). So another option might be to camp at #35. It's only about 3.5 miles from the Cosby camp grounds and is actually located closer to Davenport Gap than #37.

Oh, and BTW, there is a GSMNP specific sub-forum (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php/82-Great-Smoky-Mountain-National-Park).

HooKooDooKu
05-04-2016, 09:14
Never stayed at #36 (haven't even walked by it yet), and the "Little Brown Book" doesn't provide any details either.

doingtime
05-04-2016, 09:26
Thanks for the info. I was thinking of the shelter @ Davenport Gap, but figured that would not be a wise choice. 35 looks interesting.

I did not pay attention to the specific sub forum. My apologies.

Hosh
05-04-2016, 09:43
I was just at 37 a week ago Monday. Fortunately didn't have problems with the mice. The area by the creek was pretty crowded, 6 groups. There is a large area a bit further up the trail towards 36 that was empty, it's off the creek a 100 yards or so.

We met a couple coming down Big Creek. They had stayed at 36, no issues mentioned, and it was their second or third time. It's a short walk from 37 to 36.

TNhiker
05-04-2016, 09:55
I've stayed at 36 a few years ago...

much smaller than 37....

not as many mice....

while its a horse camp---when I stayed there, there was little evidence of horse people using it...

there re was a small patch of grass where I put my tent up---campsite sits right beside trail...

its a a short walk up from 37...