PDA

View Full Version : SpaceBag - Keep or Regift?

drsukie
12-29-2005, 16:44
A well-intentioned friend gave me a SpaceBag "carry-on space saver" bag for Christmas. It's intended for airplane or other suitcase travel. It's basically a fancy ziplock bag, a really big one.

It's nice, BUT, I've always just stowed stuf in heavy-duty ziplocks or waterproof stuffsacks.

Thoughts: 1) Keep and use (it's heavier weight than ziplocks/stuffsacks, 2) Sell on E-Bay, 3) regift to one of my travel buddies who doe snot hike - -but let them know it is just an "as-is" gift...

Any thoughts/ideas welcome? :confused: Sue

Cuffs
12-29-2005, 17:02
A well-intentioned friend gave me a SpaceBag "carry-on space saver" bag for Christmas. It's intended for airplane or other suitcase travel. It's basically a fancy ziplock bag, a really big one.

It's nice, BUT, I've always just stowed stuf in heavy-duty ziplocks or waterproof stuffsacks.

Thoughts: 1) Keep and use (it's heavier weight than ziplocks/stuffsacks, 2) Sell on E-Bay, 3) regift to one of my travel buddies who doe snot hike - -but let them know it is just an "as-is" gift...

Any thoughts/ideas welcome? :confused: Sue

I use the space bags when I have to fly. The TSA also recommends them. In case you and your bags are selected to be searched, they can just lift and look into the space bag vs having someone rifle thru your underwear, and have them fall on the floor! :confused: Stuff sacks might be ok for this, but since they are not see-thru, you may still have them opened and searched...

The largest ziplock bag I have found is 2 gal. This bag also works good for travel/flying.

drsukie
12-29-2005, 17:05
I use the space bags when I have to fly. The TSA also recommends them. In case you and your bags are selected to be searched, they can just lift and look into the space bag vs having someone rifle thru your underwear, and have them fall on the floor! :confused: Stuff sacks might be ok for this, but since they are not see-thru, you may still have them opened and searched...

The largest ziplock bag I have found is 2 gal. This bag also works good for travel/flying.

Oops! Should have clarified -- she gave this to me to use for my 2006 Thru-Hike. I am more inclined to use the ziplocks and stuffsacks. :o

Anyone's thoughts regarding using the SpaceBag for hiking the AT ??

Thx, Sue

Peaks
12-29-2005, 17:14
What does it weight, and how does its weight compare with compable products such as zip locks or stuff sacks?

Finally, does it's weight justify the safety and convience that it offers? (Do you need it?)

drsukie
12-29-2005, 17:22
It's actually a wee bit lighter than an extra-large ziplock - freezer bag version - but also a lot more fragile-seeming - it is very thin material. The ziplock portion itself is enormous!

I can see it being useful for trips on airplanes, etc. where you are not digging in and out all day long, all week long, month long....etc.

So, I am much more inclined toward the "usual" - if a ziplock breaks or rips, I can easily replace it at any store. BUT, if any hikers have used these and think they are worth it, I'd love to know. I know it is much pricier than ziplocks, and I already have a ton of stuffsacks. I'd hate to take it, expecting it to be a workhorse, and then find out it's toast within the first coupla weeks...

Sue

ScottP
01-06-2006, 13:20
I've used these, they aren't nearly as good as using ziplocks. The seals on them just aren't the greatest. The Space Bags I saw/used were much thicker and larger than ziplocks, so I thought they'd work well for maps and books. I went back to using two large ziplocks with the seals facing opposite directions.

As a disclaimer, it did rain heavily every single day and night for a week, and it was a canoe trip rather than a backpacking tirp, but I still wouldn't recommend space bags for backpacking.