PDA

View Full Version : Slip-sliding right out from under my tarp

Just Tom
05-04-2016, 09:07
I recently picked up a Borah Gear bug bivy with a silnylon floor to use under my shaped tarp. I really like the bivy, but I'm having issues with the bivy sliding on the polycro I typically lay down when there is even the smallest incline. And I'm not talking a little slipping, I'm talking waking up a foot or two sticking out from the tarp. In wet weather, it is a struggle to stay under coverage. Assuming that I wish to continue laying down something under my tarp to keep me and all my belongings somewhat out of the dirt, is there any floor material that works better than polycro? Tyvek is even more slippery (I tried it). I'm not inclined to treat the outside bottom of the bivy with something to make it sticky as that will just collect debris. I have contemplated getting a 1x3 foot square of that anti-slip material people put under carpets, but I'm not sure how much something like that would weigh. I wonder if a cuben ground cloth would solve the problem. I would never have considered such an expensive option for a floor, but what is a decent night's sleep worth. Any tips or tricks?

Busky2
05-04-2016, 09:31
Get some seam sealer and put some dots like the size of a silver dollar on the floor material on one side only and you will be better off. I put it on onside of my Neo air mattress, my tent floor and my foot print that I use in shelters and under the tent NO MORE SLIPPING IN THE NIGHT.

orthofingers
05-04-2016, 09:39
You could try a few dollops of silicone caulk on the bottom of your bevy. Spread it out a bit so that it doesn't feel like an acorn under you. You could even use it in a sprayer diluted with mineral spirits. That would result in a very thin layer. You said you weren't keen on treating the underside of the bivy because it would collect debris but if you only did it in a few strategic places it might not be too bad.

DuneElliot
05-04-2016, 09:59
Sil-nylon seam sealer won't collect debris and will give you some traction. I need to do it to the bottom of my sil-nylon tent also...that stuff is slicker than ice! :rolleyes:

Dogwood
05-04-2016, 13:41
Don't use a dedicated full coverage groundcloth. Your Borah silny bug net inner(um, some call it a "bivy") floor is your sleeping floor, is your groundcloth. An unfolded WP map, rain jacket/pants, camp towel, shoes, etc can be used to store gear on outside the bivy under the tarp.

You say you don't want dirt on the bottom of the "bivy." You'll alternatively likely get dirt on a ground cloth. CF floor net inners IMO pick up the least amount of dirt compared to other common UL options. Kinda pricey, and likely more wt, complexity, and bulk going to a separate CF ground cloth in your shelter system when a CF floor inner could solve all those issues. I notice them coming up for sale used in the $100 price range which is near what you'll pay for a new CF ground sheet.

With some wear Tyvek gets less slippery. Just a washing in the machine is usually all it takes to reduce the slipperiness and stiffness without adding the wt of caulk or Seam Seal. It also gets less WR/WP and can start to pill with even greater wear adding to collecting dirt at which time it's time to easily replace.

Just Tom
05-04-2016, 14:13
For what it is worth, a "bivy" is what Borah calls it (http://borahgear.com/bugbivy.html), so who am I to rename it :)

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. I knew I would be told to skip the ground-cloth, but I like it give me something to sit / kneel on when crawling around under the tap. It does indeed capture most of the muck, but then I store it on the outside of the pack, vs the bivy which tends to be on the inside.

I'm taking all input under consideration, any other tips or tricks welcome too.

Leo L.
05-04-2016, 15:32
I tuck my flip-flops under the matress in order to provide an elevated rim to prevent slipping off.

Dogwood
05-04-2016, 18:37
I tuck my flip-flops under the matress in order to provide an elevated rim to prevent slipping off.

Along these lines I try to set up with my feet slightly raised but having my head slightly raised too…but not in a depression/hole. I'm calling it the banana method of sleeping. :)

Huli
05-05-2016, 20:28
The silicone or seam sealer is recommended by most manufacturers. I would go that route.