PDA

View Full Version : Gear weight apps????

4runner
05-04-2016, 09:25
Anyone have an iPhone app that they really like for tracking various gear weights?

I have Gear Grams but I don't like it, so before doing the trial and error thing, I thought I'd ask.

Many thanks!

4r

JC13
05-04-2016, 09:31
Not an app but I have been really enjoying using this. https://lighterpack.com/

4runner
05-07-2016, 05:54
JC, thanks that looks great, but I'm really after an app so I can use it on a phone. My only computer is far from my gear "closet".

No one else has any other suggestions????

JC13
05-07-2016, 09:34
The only app that jumped out at me when when using googlefoo was Gram Weenie. $0.99 on the iTunes store.

Venchka
05-07-2016, 19:37
Gear weight APP? Right.
Buy a digital scale. Weigh your stuff. Write the weight on a Post-It note and stick it on the item. Pretty soon a pattern develops. You put the lightest stuff in a pile. The pile goes in your pack.
I might be old, but I don't need no APP or spreadsheet to tell me what stuff to put in my pack.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

capehiker
05-07-2016, 21:19
The only app that jumped out at me when when using googlefoo was Gram Weenie. $0.99 on the iTunes store.

This is what I have been using for the past year. Worth the $.99 imo.

Connie
05-07-2016, 21:30
I like Gear Grams because I can make a master list, then make selections to different lists: that helps me objectively look at what I have for different hikes in different seasons.

I find I am doing more different hikes, in different states.

I don't like the fact is uses "flash" so it won't work with my iPod Touch. I can't even see my own lists with my iPod Touch.

I will try lighterpack, to see if it is easier to use. I can see, with my iPod Touch, the lists that others post here.

Abi
05-08-2016, 05:42
I use my Google account. Access your Google drive (spreadsheet with tabs) from desktop computer, download Google Drive / Google Sheets from the App Store. It's free, at least. You can color code and make tabs, lock columns, etc much like Excel.

BrianLe
05-08-2016, 14:25
I'm a fan of using my own spreadsheet. Doesn't have to be complicated --- but can be if and in what specific places you want it to be. You don't get a download of pre-entered data, but I like weighing my own stuff on my own scale, so little loss for me there, and I can add specifics about my own personal version of each item --- like when I bought it, maybe what I paid for it, what modifications I've done or caveats about use, perhaps as simple as "weight includes dry sack that replaced included stuff sack" --- that sort of thing.

The problem in general for me in using anyone else's gear app is that it works great if your brain is wired the same way and your experience and expectation base lines up well with whoever created it. So --- spreadsheet! :-)

And, of course, a spreadsheet works fine on a smartphone or tablet of any variety, so long as you don't code in features specific to one particular spreadsheet app.

For me, there's a tab with just all items with weights in oz and grams and notes plus a limited set of category codes, then other tabs for per-trip-type packing checklists. If doing a new type of trip for the first time, just clone the closest existing checklist and start modifying; I find that to be a good way to think rationally through what I want to carry (and what I want to leave behind).

Maui Rhino
05-08-2016, 16:57
I recently started using the GearZoo app. I haven't fully switched to it from my old spreadsheet system, but so far I like it. I'm an Android user, so I'm not sure if it's available for iPhone.

Connie
05-16-2016, 20:07
geargrams works with my iPodTouch, now.

There is a no-charge no-ads geargrams app at the Apple Store.

I especially like it, because I have a master list then make individual lists for different hikes and different seasons.

I am even adding camping gear.

ryply76
10-21-2016, 15:42
Thanks for all the tips!

JumpMaster Blaster
10-21-2016, 18:03
Not an app, but a spreadsheet I use reigiously. Not only will it give you base pack weight, total pack weight, and skin out weight, but it will also let you track how much $$$ you'respending on gear. It's perfect for someone like me who already has a master weight spreadsheet for gear and likes to compare. Plus I love spreadsheets.

http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/2755/backpacking-gear-planner-2/

MikekiM
11-13-2016, 10:24
LighterPack.. I've been using it for a few years. Not an app, but you can access it through your mobile browser.

I've been trying GramWeanie and GearGrams.. nothing has come close to LighterPack for flexibility between desktop and idevice.

It isn't perfect (why can't I reorder my lists? Seriously?), but it works well enough.