PDA

View Full Version : Sick of ti cooking !!!

Cheyou
05-04-2016, 09:58
I have had it with ti cooking. I can't cook popcorn in it without burning . What I need is a cook pot I can cook real food in . Don't want to spend time cleaning or heavy stuff. I use esbit , canister stoves ,alcohol, depending on the trip. My GSI soloist is the best real food cooking pot I have . It is not a very wide pot . What's your choice for real food cooking ? Can't afford to buy 10 pots or pans . Help me narrow the field. Long live real food !

tiptoe
05-04-2016, 10:28
I used anodized aluminum pots made by GSI or Coleman (sorry, I don't recall the models) and both work fine. There are many options, not expensive.

RockDoc
05-04-2016, 10:36
I agree with you about Ti pots burning everything (I tried one and returned it ti REI).
Anodized aluminum is good and light, steel billy pots are good for more serious cooking.

popcorn is not real food... maybe cook some eggs.

Cheyou
05-04-2016, 10:45
popcorn is not real food... maybe cook some eggs.[/QUOTE]

I won't b taking your advice on cooking real food . Thanks

zelph
05-04-2016, 11:20
If you have patience, this ti kit can work for you. It has the most efficient fuel systems.
This is the last solo kit you'll ever have to purchase;):

Titanium Pot with lid weighs 69 gr – 2.4oz (lid weighs 16gr – 0.5oz)
Starlyte Burner with lid 16gr – 0.5oz (alcohol burner)
BGET with alum. storage container 10gr – 0.4oz (esbit burner)
Titanium Caldera Cone with sleeve 17gr – 0.6oz (enclosed pot support)
Mesh Storage Sack 11gr – 0.4oz

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/modified-toaks-550-titanium-pot-with-handles/

Cheyou
05-04-2016, 11:49
I have read about that system. It's great for boiling water. Super light, durable. Ti sucks for cooking. With less the 10lbs base weight a heavier pot won't kill me. Can I put ridges like your pot in a GSI pot ? And use the rest of your system? I would test that for u. ;0)

illabelle
05-04-2016, 12:01
Don't know that you'll like my answer, because it's not lightweight. But I cook for two, so the weight is shared. We supplement our titanium pot with a standard steel frying pan. It's not a backpacking model, but a regular one you'd buy for your kitchen. We removed the handle, and it weighs about 10-11 ounces, same as a backpacker frying pan with the folding handle. The pan has a thick base, so it distributes and holds the heat well, and adds much opportunity for variety to our trail diet. I haven't tried to make popcorn with it, but I have no doubt it would work.

Alligator
05-04-2016, 12:34
I have two ti pot sets and I agree with your assessment. I a have an older GSI Bugaboo cook kit that I will bring if I am actually cooking something not rehydrating it. It's the mess kit, I leave the cup and bowl home. I keep screws in the cup at home actually. My buddy has the big set. He uses it for canoeing, car camping, and now keeps it in his trailer as his kitchen set. Good nonstick. The pot and fry pan weigh 11.7 but the gripper I think weighs 2.3 oz. It's about $30 for the set. It might weigh less now, my set is over 10 years old. It works well for 2-3 people IMO.

Cheyou
05-04-2016, 15:22
Don't know that you'll like my answer, because it's not lightweight. But I cook for two, so the weight is shared. We supplement our titanium pot with a standard steel frying pan. It's not a backpacking model, but a regular one you'd buy for your kitchen. We removed the handle, and it weighs about 10-11 ounces, same as a backpacker frying pan with the folding handle. The pan has a thick base, so it distributes and holds the heat well, and adds much opportunity for variety to our trail diet. I haven't tried to make popcorn with it, but I have no doubt it would work.

like a one egg wonder

illabelle
05-04-2016, 15:37
like a one egg wonder

bigger than that. it's about 6 or 8 inches in diameter.

zelph
05-04-2016, 15:52
I have read about that system. It's great for boiling water. Super light, durable. Ti sucks for cooking. With less the 10lbs base weight a heavier pot won't kill me. Can I put ridges like your pot in a GSI pot ? And use the rest of your system? I would test that for u. ;0)

YES, sure thing....as long as the diameter of your pot is 95mm. :)

http://toaksoutdoor.com/95mmpots.aspx

I think your stove needs to be put in a "simmer" mode to make it easier to cook in a Ti pot. How is it that people out there are "cooking" and "baking" in thin aluminum pots like the Imusa pots or other non-stick pots?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42nCgENAmeA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qbu4Aw45ow

How is it that popcorn can popped in the thin aluminum pans like jiffypop?

Secondmouse
05-04-2016, 18:30
YES, sure thing....as long as the diameter of your pot is 95mm. :)

http://toaksoutdoor.com/95mmpots.aspx

I think your stove needs to be put in a "simmer" mode to make it easier to cook in a Ti pot. How is it that people out there are "cooking" and "baking" in thin aluminum pots like the Imusa pots or other non-stick pots?

How is it that popcorn can popped in the thin aluminum pans like jiffypop?

because they're aluminum. not Titanium. I understand what the OP is saying - titanium localizes heat, aluminum spreads it much more efficiently.

I have some very nice stainless steel pans for cooking on at home and they have a 1/4" plate of aluminum on the bottom...

The Cleaner
05-04-2016, 19:00
34741347423474334744Here's my MSR 2 liter Ti cook pot cooking steel cut oats on an MSR Pocket Rocket and my Svea stove heating water on a cold winter morning.I also cooked the steel cut oats on the Svea too.I don't have any problem.You do need a little extra fuel and water to clean the cook pot and I only heat water in the pot on the Svea,so it never needs cleaning.It just takes a bit more time but when I'm backpacking I'm in no hurry.That's why I go out.I wouldn't have an alky stove and I'd only use Esbit for a fire starter. I carry a Ti 4 oz. tubular 3 prong grate for cooking on the fire sometimes.Sounds like someone needs a little more time to learn how to cook in the woods.:rolleyes:

zelph
05-04-2016, 19:49
because they're aluminum. not Titanium. I understand what the OP is saying - titanium localizes heat, aluminum spreads it much more efficiently.

I have some very nice stainless steel pans for cooking on at home and they have a 1/4" plate of aluminum on the bottom...

As with thin aluminum, the same goes for Ti..............low heat and stir your food frequently so it doesn't burn. Try it, you'll be surprised. don't be stingy on the virgin olive oil ;)

Come on all you cooking people ....chime in here and teach some cooking :D

Hoofit
05-04-2016, 19:58
Well that's just great ...I just put out sixty greenbacks on an Evernew Ti pasta pot, 1 liter.
At four ounces, it seemed like a good way to start lightening up!
Am I hearing that slowing down and simmering more will help when I heat up stuff like Knoor sides and Tuna?
Can't see how it would ruin the morning coffee on simmer...
Hey, I have all the time in the world to enjoy the woods...what's the rush?!

The Cleaner
05-04-2016, 20:02
As with thin aluminum, the same goes for Ti..............low heat and stir your food frequently so it doesn't burn. Try it, you'll be surprised. don't be stingy on the virgin olive oil ;)

Come on all you cooking people ....chime in here and teach some cooking :D I still can't find the flame control switch/valve/knob on any alcohol stove.Then if you have any fuel left over after cooking you can't put it back in your fuel bottle.

zelph
05-04-2016, 22:40
I still can't find the flame control switch/valve/knob on any alcohol stove.Then if you have any fuel left over after cooking you can't put it back in your fuel bottle.

You have to want to cook with alcohol to know where to find the switch/ slide valve............it's on top :rolleyes:

Left over fuel stays inside the stove....put the lid on to prvent vaporization. 4 ounces of fuel goes in and is in suspension, won't spill out, great safety factor.:cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPuwCTHVOWY

MtDoraDave
05-05-2016, 06:40
The "MSR Heat Reflector with Windscreen" has a round aluminum disc (the heat reflector) that may work as a heat dissipator underneath your ti pot for "cooking" on a ti pot. Perhaps trim it so it fits inside your ti pot, so you don't have to fold and re-flatten it every day.
Lighter and cheaper than a new, heavier pot.
*I haven't tried this, so I don't know if it will work - it's just a thought.

http://www.moontrail.com/images/P/standard_windscreen.jpg

Cheyou
05-05-2016, 07:28
Does anyone use an Oilcamp xts pot ? If so do you like it

GDM
05-05-2016, 11:21
I still can't find the flame control switch/valve/knob on any alcohol stove.Then if you have any fuel left over after cooking you can't put it back in your fuel bottle.
ummm... wasn't sure if sarcasm or not, but look at the Trangia alcohol stove, or one of it's titanium copycats... Heat/flame control, and can save the fuel for another time..

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Secondmouse
05-05-2016, 11:49

Come on all you cooking people ....chime in here and teach some cooking :D

you don't have to teach me anything about cooking. and growing up cooking in a bare aluminum Boy Scout mess kit, I know about thin aluminum. but even with that I've never had food burn and stick like my Ti cup.

Ti is not lighter than aluminum. it is lighter and stronger than steel. it can be made thinner than aluminum and still retain strength but an aluminum pot of the same strength would need to be thicker and heavier (and less expensive). however, it would dissipate heat much better...

Tacblades
05-05-2016, 21:34
I agree TI is the worst cooking metal for sure, great for boiling water but thats not cooking really.

If i am cooking real food (not often these days) i either use my stainless steel set from tatonka or i use a 6in non stick aluminium frying pan from ikea with the handle removed.

Deacon
05-06-2016, 06:31
You have to want to cook with alcohol to know where to find the switch/ slide valve............it's on top :rolleyes:

Left over fuel stays inside the stove....put the lid on to prvent vaporization. 4 ounces of fuel goes in and is in suspension, won't spill out, great safety factor.:cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPuwCTHVOWY

Hey Zelph, this looks great. Have you tested this stove under a Fosters Caldera Cone? Mine is the green Fosters can. Just wondering about the room under the can.

zelph
05-06-2016, 08:29
I have a Trail Designs cone for the fosters pot and will do some testing to see if the slide valve can be opened, remain attached and then placed under the cone. No doubt the XL will be off center but still may heat the pot efficiently. The incoming air on cones comes from one side of the cone so everything might work out well. I'll report back when testing is complete. A small wire attached to the slide can be extended through one of the air intake holes and provide for a means of adjusting the slide to simmer mode. Interesting and thought provoking:-?

The XL with slide valve was originally designed for use during "fire ban" restrictions.

rocketsocks
05-06-2016, 11:35
Titanium is over rated unless your Cookin' on the moon, the price to push a pound outta orbit is ridiculously high...Even our best and brightest freeze bag meals. I like non stick aluminum the weight savings of titanium is so negligible while the price isn't.

QiWiz
05-06-2016, 11:44
I like to cook real meals, dry bake muffins, etc. I find that if I put my ti pot into a cozy after bringing things to a boil, instead of trying to simmer, I get nicely cooked food with no bottom burning and an easy clean up. I use Reflectix for my cozies and give the food about 50% more time in the cozy than whatever time I would simmer. I like ti pots because they can take the heat for dry baking. Aluminum is very iffy to do dry baking.

zelph
05-06-2016, 12:58
Titanium is over rated unless your Cookin' on the moon, the price to push a pound outta orbit is ridiculously high...Even our best and brightest freeze bag meals. I like non stick aluminum the weight savings of titanium is so negligible while the price isn't.

Regardless of the price, folks still want to know how to "cook" with titanium pots or even pop popcorn. Poping corn is easypeasy, just use plenty of canola, or coconut oil and keep pot in motion till all is popped:D

Having titanium pots/utensils is like having a piece of history. Going to the moon gave us titanium;) going to the moon was an expensive project, we still pay for it today when purchasing Ti :D

show me the monkey
05-06-2016, 17:15
I have had it with ti cooking. I can't cook popcorn in it without burning . What I need is a cook pot I can cook real food in . Don't want to spend time cleaning or heavy stuff. I use esbit , canister stoves ,alcohol, depending on the trip. My GSI soloist is the best real food cooking pot I have . It is not a very wide pot . What's your choice for real food cooking ? Can't afford to buy 10 pots or pans . Help me narrow the field. Long live real food !

Have you tried using a pot cozy? I haven't burnt a meal since.
In case someone hasn't already mentioned this, titanium actually weighs more than aluminum.

Cheyou
05-06-2016, 18:14
Yes I have a pot cozy and I use it . I don't want to just rehydrate food . Is it possible that alm is superior to ti when it comes to cooking ? I think it is . So I will carry the extra 3 oz to use a cook pot that works better for me.

zelph
05-06-2016, 20:23
Yes I have a pot cozy and I use it . I don't want to just rehydrate food . Is it possible that alm is superior to ti when it comes to cooking ? I think it is . So I will carry the extra 3 oz to use a cook pot that works better for me.

Good idea, it will work for you.....I can feel it in my bones. What size will you get?

zelph
05-06-2016, 20:30
Let's ask Sarah Kirkconnell.....

Sarah, how should we go about "cooking" in a titanium pot? Real cooking, not just popcorn. Thank you in advance.

rocketsocks
05-06-2016, 20:41
Regardless of the price, folks still want to know how to "cook" with titanium pots or even pop popcorn. Poping corn is easypeasy, just use plenty of canola, or coconut oil and keep pot in motion till all is popped:D

Having titanium pots/utensils is like having a piece of history. Going to the moon gave us titanium;) going to the moon was an expensive project, we still pay for it today when purchasing Ti :Dwhats funny to me about that is spending $40 bucks on a Ti cup and wanting to bring a 2lb. bag of popping corn....jiffy pop in town man, or bring aluminum foil for a tent and like ya say just keep shakin'

Del Q
05-06-2016, 20:55
Maybe take "ti" out of your opening...........just stop cooking

I LOVE no-cook mode. If I ever do a thru hike maybe I would shift gears occasionally but I prefer not cooking. There are a TON of great no-cook food options.

...and nothing ever sticks to anything, nothing to clean, less weight, less gear, simpler hiking life

Cheyou
05-07-2016, 06:41
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;2065236]whats funny to me about that is spending $40 bucks on a Ti cup and wanting to bring a 2lb. bag of popping corn....jiffy pop in town man, or bring aluminum foil for a tent and like ya say just

this is all u can do make fun of me ?

rocketsocks
05-07-2016, 15:36
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;2065236]whats funny to me about that is spending $40 bucks on a Ti cup and wanting to bring a 2lb. bag of popping corn....jiffy pop in town man, or bring aluminum foil for a tent and like ya say just

this is all u can do make fun of me ?hell no, I could prolly do way more being you chap so easy, but it's not my style, sorry ya took offense, I usually am pretty clear in my offending, this was t one of those times.

SWODaddy
05-07-2016, 17:01
I have a bunch of titanium stuff...even with the nonstick coatings - everything sticks.

While heavier than Ti (2oz heavier than my evernew 900ml pot), I've had really good results with my Primus "LiTech" trek kettle. The lid is perfect sized to cook anything bun/english muffin sized and nothing sticks to it. The pot is big enough to cook a pasta side in no problem. Diameter is perfect for a 230g fuel canister.

bikebum1975
05-07-2016, 18:20
You're burning popcorn?! Move it more doesn't matter what that material is. Hell I've seen people use canteen cups to cook in. Lower your heat source temp. Still if you're looking for a kettle my top favorite pot is the mors pot. The small is perfect for solo cooking. The bonus are the handles you can add a bail kit to it to. Cheap lightweight and near bombproof. Have yet to jump on the ti bandwagon

scope
05-08-2016, 20:09
The Evernew version of the Trangia stove is made so that if you place the pot directly on it, no pot stand, it's less hot, slower, and uses fuel less quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zelph
05-08-2016, 23:15
The Evernew version of the Trangia stove is made so that if you place the pot directly on it, no pot stand, it's less hot, slower, and uses fuel less quickly.

If you place a pot of cold water on it I suspect it will cause the stove to extinguish.

Connie
05-08-2016, 23:22
I use the Vargo Titanium Sierra 750 open design much like the original Sierra Cup, only 750 ml.

I like the sloping sides. I have and use a GSI spatula.

I have a Zelph Starlyte stove, that flame pattern puts the flames evenly on the bottom and up the sloping sides.

Perfect.

I t is important the stove flame is a good match for the cookware you choose.

fastfoxengineering
05-09-2016, 03:36
Thin aluminum burns food just as bad as thin titanium. Nonstick coatIngs wear sooner or later if using metal utensils. Just slow down and watch your food more. I use my evernew ti pots at home all the time. Makes me more confident using them in then backcountry.

Cheyou
05-09-2016, 09:49
My first post was repossessed on Backpackinglight. I am not a member. I have caused quit a stir or shake with my straying from the party line. The anti- popcorn, pro ti lobby is up in arms . The eating of popcorn on trail is not tolerated. The preference of non ti cook wear is a code violation . The lobby is after me with the full weight of ti. To crush those who stray the path. My ti equipment must b sent back . My name on a list . Never able to purchase ti ever. Yes the hall of ti shame. My apology to all the sellers of ti pots and pans and those of the way. Yes I did cook popcorn on the trail . Yes yes more then once . No the pot wasn't ti. Have mercy on my soul.

rocketsocks
05-09-2016, 10:15
Why, what's so bad about titanium, works great for me. Tell em all the get stuffed. Seriously though maybe just move things around a bit...many use it, nothing wrong with it.

Cheyou
05-09-2016, 12:25
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;2065685]Why, what's so bad about titanium, works great for me. Tell em all the get stuffed. Seriously though maybe just move things around a bit...many use it, nothing wrong with it.[/QUOT

Im just poking fun . Love being called popcorn guy at backpacking light. I should change my name. It's a whole grain snack ;0) . Some like bags some like quilts some tents other tarps ........

scope
05-09-2016, 12:51
If you place a pot of cold water on it I suspect it will cause the stove to extinguish.

Nope, has two sets of jets, unlike Trangia. Works as described.

zelph
05-09-2016, 15:05
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;2065685]Why, what's so bad about titanium, works great for me. Tell em all the get stuffed. Seriously though maybe just move things around a bit...many use it, nothing wrong with it.[/QUOT

Im just poking fun . Love being called popcorn guy at backpacking light. I should change my name. It's a whole grain snack ;0) . Some like bags some like quilts some tents other tarps ........

Hey "Popcorn Guy" it's all in the interest of cooking with Ti. You are an inspiration for those that wanna cook with Ti but have not been able to.

My intent was to have the real "cookers" out there to chime in and give some tips on how to cook with Ti.......and it's working.:)

Link to Popcorn Guy
https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/real-cooking-with-titanium-pots/

CJOttawa
05-13-2016, 10:40
Does anyone use an Oilcamp xts pot ? If so do you like it

I was warned not to use pots with heat-exchangers with alcohol stoves. Specifically, the makers of the Caldera cone indicated the combo tends to result in un-burned fuel getting past the exchanger, resulting in an inefficient burn. No idea if it's true but I'll take the advice considering how many pots they've tested.

Cheyou
05-13-2016, 12:26
I don't have a cone. Hard to shake popcorn with one :0)

Cheyou
05-13-2016, 12:28
[QUOTE=Cheyou;2065710]

Hey "Popcorn Guy" it's all in the interest of cooking with Ti. You are an inspiration for those that wanna cook with Ti but have not been able to.

My intent was to have the real "cookers" out there to chime in and give some tips on how to cook with Ti.......and it's working.:)

Link to Popcorn Guy
https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/real-cooking-with-titanium-pots/

i grew up in Nothern Illinois. fox river area

zelph
05-13-2016, 16:31
[QUOTE=zelph;2065755]

i grew up in Nothern Illinois. fox river area

I grew up in Chicago, fished the Chain-o-Lakes area extensively. :-)

allmebloominlife
05-18-2016, 16:15
I use a GSI aluminum fry pan and it works great. I've made eggs, French toast and cooked steaks on it using a snow peak stove. I'm just a weekend warrior usually on the Pinhoti or up in Big Frogg TN area but I'm like you. I prefer real food.....and maybe cold beer. :-)

zelph
05-18-2016, 21:30
I use a GSI aluminum fry pan and it works great. I've made eggs, French toast and cooked steaks on it using a snow peak stove. I'm just a weekend warrior usually on the Pinhoti or up in Big Frogg TN area but I'm like you. I prefer real food.....and maybe cold beer. :-)

What stove do you use and how do you keep it a low temperature so as not to scorch/burn your food?

Do you hold your fry pan above the stove or does it sit on top of the supports while the food cooks?

Connie
05-18-2016, 22:29
I have a SOTO-OD1R that has a regulator feature that provides a good simmer.

The SOTO Windmaster is said to have that. I know this feature works well.

I like the GSI expedition non-stick pan. It has a folding handle that folds inside the pan, that is very secure in place in use.

I have heard new JetBoil with the low height have the regulator simmer feature. I have the older boil water fast JetBoil, and so I can't tell you more about it.

I have had another brand, said to simmer, that isn't anytjing even close to a simmer.

Every stove and cooking pot should match up well, so it does not tip your food on the dirt.

The windscreen is usually an essential component, and all components need to work well together outdoors.

If you must lift the cookware, it is not a simmer.

allmebloominlife
05-19-2016, 09:15
It's the Snow Peak Giga Power stove. It has an adjustable flame control. Once you get it lit you can adjust the flame pretty low for cooking eggs or you can turn it up to boil water for freeze dried meals. You will need to set up a wind break in windy conditions. Just don't use a typical windscreen you would use for an alcohol stove.

http://snowpeak.com/collections/stoves/products/gigapower-auto-stove?variant=671132193

allmebloominlife
05-19-2016, 09:20
Forgot to add that it sits on top of the supports. It has 4 supports so it's pretty stable with a 10" or less pan.

handlebar
05-21-2016, 17:59
I don't have a problem burning stuff in my Evernew 1.3L pot. It is paired (usually) with a Featherfire alcohol burner that come with an integrated pot stand and damper to reduce the flame to a simmer. It IS necessary to occasionally stir the Knorr sides or Mac n' cheese. I start the Knorrs with about half a cup more water than on directions (and with ollive oil added). If it's a bit soupy I add plain flavored Idahoans to thicken and add a few calories). For the Mac n Cheese I start with about 3 cups of water and a dollop of ollive oil---no need to drain. Once these are boiling, I switch the burner to simmer and wait, sometimes removing from heat into my MYOG pot cozy to finish.

zelph
05-21-2016, 19:17
I'm in the process of testing heat diffusers for canister stoves. I'll be back later with a video that shows a test for thermal feedback to the canister.

zelph
05-21-2016, 19:46
Here is one of the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHvx25lV-vw

Singto
06-11-2016, 01:12
https://www.amazon.com/Outop-Outdoor-Camping-Cookware-Backpacking/dp/B00E6MIV0O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1465621783&sr=8-2&keywords=camping+cook+pots

Two sizes (4 pots total) and the lids serve as a beverage cup while the larger base pot cooks the food. If you look, you find them a bit lower priced and of course they're not as light as Ti.

Engine
07-13-2016, 04:24
Ti doesn't have to stick if you're patient about waiting on the meal. Even items which are supposed to simmer for 15-25 minutes can be cooked with Ti and an alcohol stove which barely gets the water boiling before running out of fuel. Lightly oil the pot, add water and contents, bring everything to a boil, place the pot in the cozy, go finish setting up your tent and whatever else you need to do for about 30 minutes. When you return, everything is ready to eat.

We "cook" stuff like Zatarain's Jambalaya or Mahatma red beans and rice with this method and it works great. In addition, the weight added by the cozy is saved from not having to carry as much fuel.

By the way, an old blue closed cell sleeping pad can be easily made into one darn efficient and very lightweight cozy which is custom fit to your pot...

TexasBob
07-13-2016, 09:01
I cook and simmer in my non-stick evernew ti with a fancy feast stove without a simmer ring. I stir a lot (lexan spoon) and just lift the pot off the stove if it looks like it might burn, stir awhile and then set the pot back on the stove. It takes some practice, patience and a little care but works for me. I don't like freezer bag cooking for stuff like Knorr's or Lipton's. Never tried popcorn.

xrayit
07-13-2016, 09:56
IMHO a general purpose pot / cook kit is exactly that General purpose ... Not really perfect at anything but somewhat ok for most things. I have Al,Ti and SS cook kits in different sizes and configurations. Some only boil water like the kelly kettle some only boil one cup of water and others are only for baking of day bread or a chicken. Al oh with that I have many stoves that are application dependent as in boiling water fast / melting snow or baking muffins. I have pots like the stainless steel zebra for cooking over wood fires and fosters pots that only boil water over an alcohol stove. Good luck getting a fosters can clean after you cook oatmeal in it ... Way better option is just use the fosters for water. Same for Ti I have some Ti kits that are perfect at boiling water with esbit tabs. I wouldn't bake a chicken with esbit tabs that would be like driving a railroad spike with a tack hammer. Choose your menu and then match your heat source / cooking pot requirement to fit menu, pretty simple

Gambit McCrae
07-13-2016, 10:00
I just switched to using a fancee feest alc stove and a simmer ring, using a ever new pasta pot. I have cooked ramen, pasta sides, rice sides, cream of tator soup...no burning or sticking at all.

SoCal Mike
08-21-2016, 01:37
I have cooked real food with the GSI Bugaboo mess kit and snow peak giga stove; and a Trangia 27. Non stick aluminum pots/pans with both set ups.

Five Tango
08-21-2016, 08:46
Hey Zelph, this looks great. Have you tested this stove under a Fosters Caldera Cone? Mine is the green Fosters can. Just wondering about the room under the can.

I could not find the Starlyte with slide mod on Zelph's site.Are they for sale anywhere? Gotta have one!

Deacon
08-21-2016, 16:42
I could not find the Starlyte with slide mod on Zelph's site.Are they for sale anywhere? Gotta have one!

Maybe shoot him a note. Zelph has a "Contact Us" section on his home page.