PDA

View Full Version : Dried Shrimp

Dogwood
05-04-2016, 17:25
What's for dinner? Shrimp…dehydrated shrimp in a convenient size .5 oz packages. Ok, maybe not for a whole dinner but makes for a different snack and seafood protein additive at a low wt. Great adding to Knorrs Pasta and Rice Sides. Try a .5 oz pack added to Teriyaki Rice or Teriyaki Pasta or Parmesan Pesto Penne or Alfredo Broccoli varieties. Badia brand, found at WallyWorld for $1.70. buying in build in 12 count packages gets the cost down to around $1.50 per package.

Tip: let soak to rehydrate and don't overcook or else they get tough.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Badia-Dried-Shrimp-.5-oz/10311638?reviews_limit=10&

Secondmouse
05-04-2016, 21:05
your link says they don't sell it within 50 miles of Alpharetta. where do you get it?..

SouthMark
05-04-2016, 21:50
Available at the Walmart here in Tuscaloosa. WinnDixie used to sell a foil package of shrimp.

zelph
05-04-2016, 23:27
Have you tried them right outta the package dry? Sounds tasty dry as a snack:-? wonder if they are too salty dry. will stop in Tuscaloosa this fall and pick up a dozen....I like shrimp :) My wife and I spent the winter over in Columbus, MS at a corps of engineers campground as "hosts" will be there again this fall.

MuddyWaters
05-04-2016, 23:50
Many convenience stores have rack of these sold as snack. Never tried soaking, tough and chewy in dried state, not salty at all, concentrated dead shrimp flavor

Dogwood
05-05-2016, 02:23
Found in the spice aisle at a Alpharetta area Wally World among many Badia products. I've alternatively bought them at Hispanic(Mexican) bodegas too. Same locations typically have powdered coconut milk as well.

Dogwood
05-05-2016, 02:29
Asian grocers may have a similar product. Super Global and Hmart are large Asian grocers in the Alpharetta area. Booth have quite large Produce Depts and many unusual produce varieties at below wally world prices.

Last Call
05-05-2016, 06:36
They sell them at a lot of the convenience stores in southern Louisiana, they eat them like potato chips down there....they are good!

Gambit McCrae
05-05-2016, 07:25
I've dehydrated shrimp in the past, makes good jearky.. PreseasonD it

QiWiz
05-05-2016, 16:20
No at my Walmart either, but found on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Badia-Dried-Shrimp-0-5-ounce-bags/dp/B001SAO8PE/ref=sr_1_5_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1462479389&sr=1-5&keywords=dried+shrimp+for+cooking

SouthMark
05-05-2016, 16:34
zelph, let me know when you are back in Columbus, I will ride over and visit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wil
05-05-2016, 21:15
Are all of these shell on? Tried those, didn't like 'em.

Now I dehydrate my own. Buy medium/large, boil in highly salted water, slice in thirds lengthwise. They do take awhile to reconstitute nicely, I put them in a little water as soon as I hit camp, later bring the water to a boil and then let cozy for 10 minutes or so, then add the jambalaya mix or seafood chowder mix or whatever. Minced or diced clams can also by dehydrated and go great with the Mountain House seafood chowder, if you can find it.

zelph
05-05-2016, 21:56
zelph, let me know when you are back in Columbus, I will ride over and visit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

will do. I'll be heading your way on my way to the Native American Festival at Moundsville.

scrabbler
05-05-2016, 22:19
Can someone explain why no one is selling larger, shelled, de-veined shrimp? Im guessing they dont rehydrate well, or something along those lines. Or maybe they are for sale and I just dont know where yet, I've looked???

Dogwood
05-05-2016, 23:15
Are all of these shell on? Tried those, didn't like 'em.

Now I dehydrate my own. Buy medium/large, boil in highly salted water, slice in thirds lengthwise. They do take awhile to reconstitute nicely, I put them in a little water as soon as I hit camp, later bring the water to a boil and then let cozy for 10 minutes or so, then add the jambalaya mix or seafood chowder mix or whatever. Minced or diced clams can also by dehydrated and go great with the Mountain House seafood chowder, if you can find it.

THx for the dehydrating ideas. Your cooking dried shrimp process is exactly how I cook/reconstitute them.

Wil
05-05-2016, 23:20
Can someone explain why no one is selling larger, shelled, de-veined shrimp? Im guessing they dont rehydrate well, or something along those lines. Or maybe they are for sale and I just dont know where yet, I've looked???Adventure foods used to sell some decent sized freeze dried shrimp. But they've been out of business for years now. I always meant to email Jean and ask for her source but I thought it would be bad form as they were talking about reorganizing and starting up again. Obviously Mountain House has a source, for their very good seafood chowder. So somebody is doing it in bulk, somewhere.

Grinder
05-06-2016, 08:14
I bought some from a local oriental market. I couldn''t eat them. Way too fishy! Kind of like I imagine Cat Food to taste. I wonder if Walmart version are better. I love fresh boiled shrimp.

swisscross
05-06-2016, 11:21
I buy small precooked frozen shrimp from the grocery store (walmart).
Defrost them, slice them in half and dehydrate them.
No salt added.

I also make salmon jerky but use uncooked fish. It is a fatty fish and don't think it would last very long before going rancid but never worried as it gets eaten within days.

mandolindave
05-06-2016, 11:55
Dehydrated shrimp sounds terrible. I would rather have the best trail mix ever, rather than the worst shrimp ever. If I craved seafood, I would opt for carrying the weight of canned crab.

Sorry ( again ) for hijacking, but someone brought up frozen shrimp. I think it would be great for stores at Trail Towns to have more frozen foods available. At least you could have a decent meal on the first night back on trail

Dogwood
05-06-2016, 12:26
I bought some from a local oriental market. I couldn''t eat them. Way too fishy! Kind of like I imagine Cat Food to taste. I wonder if Walmart version are better. I love fresh boiled shrimp.

I know what you mean about some brands being very salty and fishy. These Badia brand have not been salty or fishy although slightly chewy before being reconstituted were still soft somewhat softer than a Gummy Bear or stick licorice texture. I think some dried shrimp brands are produced in the same factories as anchovy or sardine which may account for the fishiness I too have experienced with some other brands. Buying dried shrimp from places that regularly turn over inventory would be a place I would buy from too. They get softer as Wil says when let to stand in water a bit. I too usually soak them first by putting them in ahead of whatever else is for dinner as my water is coming to a boil. I treat the shrimp the same as reconstituting dried ****ake mushroom caps. Dried ****ake mushroom caps can be found for about $1 per package at some Dollar Generals/Dollar stores.

dzierzak
05-06-2016, 12:29
I know what you mean about some brands being very salty and fishy. These Badia brand have not been salty or fishy although slightly chewy before being reconstituted were still soft somewhat softer than a Gummy Bear or stick licorice texture. I think some dried shrimp brands are produced in the same factories as anchovy or sardine which may account for the fishiness I too have experienced with some other brands. Buying dried shrimp from places that regularly turn over inventory would be a place I would buy from too. They get softer as Wil says when let to stand in water a bit. I too usually soak them first by putting them in ahead of whatever else is for dinner as my water is coming to a boil. I treat the shrimp the same as reconstituting dried ****ake mushroom caps. Dried ****ake mushroom caps can be found for about $1 per package at some Dollar Generals/Dollar stores.

I love how we can't say *****ake....

Dogwood
05-06-2016, 13:03
Dehydrated shrimp sounds terrible. I would rather have the best trail mix ever, rather than the worst shrimp ever. If I craved seafood, I would opt for carrying the weight of canned crab.

Sorry ( again ) for hijacking, but someone brought up frozen shrimp. I think it would be great for stores at Trail Towns to have more frozen foods available. At least you could have a decent meal on the first night back on trail

How about not making it an either trail mix or shrimp decision? I like them together mixing cashews, pecans, or almonds or sesame seeds for example to dried shrimp. As said you'll usually find dried coconut milk in the same purchase places as the dried shrimp. Add the dried coconut milk, nuts or seeds, and a pack of the dried Shrimp to a Knorrs Side Teriyaki Rice or Teryaki Noodles. Dash it with a good tablespoon of Dried Red Curry powder.

One .5 oz Badia Dried Shrimp isn't anywhere near resembling a seafood feast. It's an additive. If you really want more shrimp add two .5 oz Badia Packages of Dried Shrimp. This info is offered as options to consider.

Frozen shrimp which can be bought in small 3 oz or so packages at places like Krogers are rather small size much like these Badia Dried Shrimp plus there's water wt and they defrost and spoil fast.

The BumbleBee Brand 4 oz canned medium sized shrimp are comparatively larger size but then there's again the issue of water wt and tin can garbage. Plus the 4 oz wt doesn't include the wt of the tin.

Dogwood
05-06-2016, 13:04
Shartake mushrooms?

Dogwood
05-06-2016, 13:55
Another possible recipe that might be considered is adding the dried shrimp to a cold peanut butter alternative asian Noodle made from SOBA Buckwheat Noodles. Adding dried coconut milk and dried PB to shrimp some chopped peanuts and possible some seaweed.

Venchka
05-06-2016, 20:14
There are foods that should be consumed fresh. Shrimp, crawfish, oysters, etc. come to mind. To prepare any other way is a sacrilege.
He said baring his South Louisiana Roots.

Wayne
Lafayette HS Class of '64.

Sent from somewhere around here.

scrabbler
05-06-2016, 21:33
Shartake mushrooms?

Good one Dogwood. Never trust a fart.

Wil
05-06-2016, 21:57
There are foods that should be consumed fresh. Shrimp, crawfish, oysters, etc. come to mind. To prepare any other way is a sacrilege.A week out and home-dried shrimp prepared and reconstituted the way I described, mixed into something like Hawk Vittles Jambalaya or Mountain House seafood chowder is not to be written off. The texture isn't quite there but because they reconstitute small (e.g. large shrimp become medium/small) the flavor that survives is concentrated and not bad at all.

Dogwood
05-06-2016, 23:25
There are foods that should be consumed fresh. Shrimp, crawfish, oysters, etc. come to mind. To prepare any other way is a sacrilege.
He said baring his South Louisiana Roots. ...

Fair enough but please define fresh seafood.

My ex brother in law is a commercial shrimper. I asked him the question about what he considers the freshest shrimp. According to him he says the shrimp that are caught and immediately flash frozen. He says the so called "fresh shrimp", that which hasn't been frozen, will sometimes lie dead unfrozen for multiple days on a multi day commercial shrimping trip if caught in the beginning of the trip.

Makes one wonder how fresh the "fresh fish" advertised really is. Fresh Alaskan salmon, fresh mahi mahi,, etc in east coast grocery stores? The freshest I've ever had was meeting the tuna boats coming in from a day trip in Hawaii with just caught several hrs ago wahoo, mahi mahi, and tuna or boats in Alaska with that days catch of huge halibut or 100's and 100's of lbs of salmon or cod. Benefit of eating shrimp as seafood in the U.S. is that the stocks haven't yet been decimated to human overfishing, pollution, or loss of habitat.

Dogwood
05-06-2016, 23:31
A week out and home-dried shrimp prepared and reconstituted the way I described, mixed into something like Hawk Vittles Jambalaya or Mountain House seafood chowder is not to be written off. The texture isn't quite there but because they reconstitute small (e.g. large shrimp become medium/small) the flavor that survives is concentrated and not bad at all.

Yup, which is why in some cultural cuisines the dried shrimp are ground into a powder for flavoring where the shrimp flavor is intensified. The intensified flavor means one needs les of this sometimes pricey to other societies lifestyle and income. It is here in wealthy countries like the U.S., where large consumptions of meat commanding a high price, the REAL price, are consumed with reckless abandon.

Miel
05-07-2016, 07:16
He said baring his South Louisiana Roots.

Wayne
Lafayette HS Class of '64.

Sent from somewhere around here.

LSU grad school mid-1980s Master's degree. Fond memories.

Miel
05-07-2016, 07:17
Fair enough but please define fresh seafood.

My ex brother in law is a commercial shrimper. I asked him the question about what he considers the freshest shrimp. According to him he says the shrimp that are caught and immediately flash frozen. He says the so called "fresh shrimp", that which hasn't been frozen, will sometimes lie dead unfrozen for multiple days on a multi day commercial shrimping trip if caught in the beginning of the trip.

Makes one wonder how fresh the "fresh fish" advertised really is. Fresh Alaskan salmon, fresh mahi mahi,, etc in east coast grocery stores? The freshest I've ever had was meeting the tuna boats coming in from a day trip in Hawaii with just caught several hrs ago wahoo, mahi mahi, and tuna or boats in Alaska with that days catch of huge halibut or 100's and 100's of lbs of salmon or cod. Benefit of eating shrimp as seafood in the U.S. is that the stocks haven't yet been decimated to human overfishing, pollution, or loss of habitat.

Loss of habitat and overfishing? You must be excluding the northeast.