PDA

View Full Version : Thru hike money

brother brzo
05-04-2016, 17:52
Ok, been wanting to do a thru hike for years now, and it seems like I may have an opportunity to do it in the next month or two. Problem is, not sure if I have enough money to do it right now.
Have about $1500 at the moment that is available for the trip.
I am looking for work, so I don't know how much I would be able to save in the meantime. Is that enough to do the whole trail if I do it frugally, is it possible

brother brzo
05-04-2016, 17:58
By the way, already have most, if not all of the year I would need, so that is not a concern

show me the monkey
05-04-2016, 18:05
Depends on a lot of factors. Do you have all of your gear? Will you be resupplying via maildrops? Travel to and from the trail? Motel stays in towns?

garlic08
05-04-2016, 18:11
Most say you need at least twice that amount, possibly more. $1000/month is a good estimate, but you don't know how fast you hike yet. Think of how much it costs you to eat when you're not on the trail, then increase that because you won't be getting deals in supermarkets, and increase it again because you'll be eating a lot, and there'll be lots of restaurants. Say $10/day. A five month hike could cost you $1500 in food alone (I spent about that much on a 3.5 month hike).

lonehiker
05-04-2016, 18:23
It is not enough.

johnnybgood
05-04-2016, 18:40
You would surprised how fast that $1500 gets spent. There are shuttles into towns and back for re-supplies. Then the food itself will eat (pun intended) away most of that money over time. I would hike with the assumption that you will run out of money and not let it be a concern.
Enjoy the trail while out there and get back out there again next year with more saved money to reach the next goal. Don't let the free spirit of a life long ambition be diminished and unfulfilling due to lack of money for a thru hike. The trail will be waiting for you when you decide to rejoin it again.

One Half
05-04-2016, 18:50
I would say, hike until the money runs out and then go home.

Malto
05-04-2016, 19:07
No, it is not enough to hike the whole trail.

Hoofit
05-04-2016, 19:18
Five grand plus gear is more like it but hey, you may be very frugal and have lots of drops sent to you and have the transportation taken care of.....

Greenlight
05-04-2016, 19:26
Gurus correct me if I'm wrong, but if the gear is inappropriate, a shakedown at Mountain Crossings will eat up most of that $1500. How will you feed yourself after that?

1. Hiker boxes
2. Trail magic
3. Hiker feeds
4. Yogi-ing
5. Rubbing dirt off of Gummi Bears and Skittles on the trail
6. Starvation

Are you really willing to take the chance? If I was single, between jobs, had that $1500 in the bank and the equipment I've got in my storage room right now, I'd be gone tomorrow. But I'd have no expectation of hiking the whole trail. If through some sheer stroke of good fortune you made it to Katahdin on that budget, I'd buy your book. "Hiking Hungry?" Who knows. I'd still hit the trail. Make sure you leave enough for a bus ticket home.

saltysack
05-04-2016, 19:35
Gurus correct me if I'm wrong, but if the gear is inappropriate, a shakedown at Mountain Crossings will eat up most of that $1500. How will you feed yourself after that?

1. Hiker boxes
2. Trail magic
3. Hiker feeds
4. Yogi-ing
6. Starvation

Are you really willing to take the chance? If I was single, between jobs, had that $1500 in the bank and the equipment I've got in my storage room right now, I'd be gone tomorrow. But I'd have no expectation of hiking the whole trail. If through some sheer stroke of good fortune you made it to Katahdin on that budget, I'd buy your book. "Hiking Hungry?" Who knows. I'd still hit the trail. Make sure you leave enough for a bus ticket home.

I'd hope the OP has knowledge of his gear.....

OkeefenokeeJoe
05-04-2016, 23:08
Hell no it is not enough, unless you are an accomplished moocher.

$3000 minimum for a thru hike.

$4000 preferred.

$5000 ideal.

I suggest you get off your a-double-you-know-what and go get a job at McDonalds, Hardees, Taco Bell, Home Depot, or hang out where the illegal alien day laborers hang out and take all the odd-jobs you can find. In 4-6 weeks you should be able to add a couple of grand to that $1500 easily.

OkeefenokeeJoe

MuddyWaters
05-04-2016, 23:53
Ive spent more than that on a one month hike.
Not nearly enough for 99.9% of people

Impossible ...no.
Improbable....hell yes.

med2
05-04-2016, 23:54
Check out will wood on YouTube. http://youtu.be/KQvUVKtZ3wA

med2
05-04-2016, 23:58
I would say, hike until the money runs out and then go home.
Good advice

Mags
05-05-2016, 00:23
$1500 makes for a great hike on The Colorado Trail. Consider that instead perhaps?

Googan
05-05-2016, 00:50
$1500 makes for a great hike on The Colorado Trail. Consider that instead perhaps?
I agree with this. He knows more about it than me. You can have an enjoyable hike somewhere else, but on the AT its not going to take you very far. Maybe even do a section of the AT.

bigcranky
05-05-2016, 06:45
$1500 makes a great luxurious Long Trail hike, too, with money left over :)

To the OP: it may still be possible for someone to do a thru-hike on $1500, but it's less and less likely each year. Twenty or thirty years ago the conventional wisdom was $1 per mile, or $2200 for the trail, but prices have gone up a bit since then, and there are FAR more places to spend money along the trail. My personal experience is that I need $800-1000/month on the trail, which makes for a comfortable hike with a hot meal and a cold beer when I get to town, and a place to spend the night/zero day once a week to shower, resupply, and clean gear.

Mags
05-05-2016, 11:30
$1500 makes a great luxurious Long Trail hike, too, with money left over :)

Oooh..nice one. And then perhaps do the BMT after. 600 miles of awesome backpacking. Transit costs lower than the CT as well.

dudeijuststarted
05-05-2016, 11:40
Please don't. Try to have $5000 devoted to the hike before you set out. Trail magic is not intended as a primary source of sustenance.

Blissful
05-05-2016, 11:43
You might find this BLOG (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com/2015/02/guest-blog-letter-of-1000-at-thru-hike.html) of interest - Letter of a $1000 thru hike. Some have done it.

Mags
05-05-2016, 12:43
You might find this BLOG (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com/2015/02/guest-blog-letter-of-1000-at-thru-hike.html) of interest - Letter of a $1000 thru hike. Some have done it.
The summary from The Fine Article:
1. Hike fast
2. Eat cheap food aka hiker box food
3. Make friends
4. Work for stay everywhere
5. Become someones trail slave
6. Become a breatharian

1. Is excellent advice as a "fast" (which really means few town stops) is a good way to save money indeed.

2 -5 Is depending upon others. Like most of these so-called cheap thru-hikes, these are subsidies that can not/should be counted on. Add the true cost of the of these subsidies in and the real cost is much different.

6. breatharianism /brɛθˈɛəriənɪzəm/is the belief that it is possible for a person to live without consuming food. Breathariansclaim that food, and in some cases water, are not necessary for survival, and that humans can be sustained solely by prana, the vital life force in Hinduism.

Er...yeah... :) (To be fair, I think point 6 is tongue-in-cheek..somewhat).

The author, half-kiddingly talks about stealing food from a pizza buffet and outright begging.

So to sum up the steps for a "cheap" thru-hike:

1. Hike Fast and avoid lengthy town stops. This works for many.

2. Mooch, beg and steal.
3. Hope for many work for stays and ample hiker boxes
4. Don't eat a lot

To quote the first known published recreational outdoor book in the US:"” If you cannot travel honorably, and without begging, I should advise you to stay at home” (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17575) " (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17575)

Let's stop posting these "cheap" thru-hikes as they really aren't and are misleading and not helpful for someone planning.

Two gentlemen on this site did well documented hikes of spending ~$700-$800/month for their thru with actual costs factored in.

Only Animal is a person I know of who did a truly inexpensive AND documented sub-$2000 thru-hike without hidden subsidies such as packages from home and people paying for this lodging and meals.. I have a lot of respect for that. However his methods, by his own admission, aren't for everyone (5 gallon bucket for example).

Dogwood
05-05-2016, 13:02
If you have to ask "is $1500 enough to thru-hike the AT?" than it certainly is NOT enough.

$1500 makes for a great hike on The Colorado Trail. Consider that instead perhaps? This!

$1500 makes a great luxurious Long Trail hike, too, with money left over :)… This!

OR a Sheltowee Trace Thru-hike Or a 500+ mile AT/BMT Figure 8 OR a long segment of the AT OR a Superior Tr Thru-hike OR a Sierra/JMT Thru-hike Or ….Or….Or….! ALL the thru-hikes mentioned including the Long and Colorado Trails I thru-hiked for $1500 OR LESS. I'm in a different situation than you but I'm sure you could have a GREAT shot at thru-hiking ANY of those at $1500 enjoying yourself if LD hiking is your passion. :-?

Dogwood
05-05-2016, 13:06
Let's stop posting these "cheap" thru-hikes as they really aren't and are misleading and not helpful for someone planning.

+100000000000000000000000000 Here Here

DuneElliot
05-05-2016, 13:27
I agree with so many of the above sentiments. Either hike the AT until you run out of money, work until you have enough money or pick a shorter trail or two to thru-hike.

Anything is possible, but on $1500 I doubt you'll enjoy it as much as if you'd waited and saved.

perrito
05-05-2016, 21:12
Redbeard addresses $$$ here:
https://youtu.be/KQvUVKtZ3wA

Jake2c
05-06-2016, 07:30
I am on the trail now, probably an average spender. I have spent in excess of that and currently at mile 850+. I did bring down cost by stoping zero's that started usually late in an evening when I got to the place I wanted to stay, taking the next day off, staying another night and leaving in the morning. Now I camp as close as I can to where I want to spend a day, hike in early the next morning, use the day doing what I used to do on my zero, sleep one night in a bed and hike the next morning. Cut my hostel/motel bills in half just that easy. I couldn't do it on 1500 that is for sure. There would be way to many cuts I would have to make and I would not enjoy the experience that way (I don't find much of this that enjoyable anyway just so you know).

Dogwood
05-06-2016, 13:43
Redbeard addresses $$$ here:
https://youtu.be/KQvUVKtZ3wA

This is just the type of information that should be taken into context of the individual's experiences and habits offering this information. Many times people will hear info like this and totally ignore that aspect which is significant especially surrounding the topic of trail budget which basically has an infinite number of individual conditions and possibilities. It's just as applicable as anyone being exposed to FKTers or someone like Andrew Skurka's experiences making uh hem ignorant comparisons having little or no idea who these people are, their abilities/skill sets, their backgrounds, their hiking styles, etc.

For a Newbie Wannabe first time LD hiker/AT thru-hiker one is adapting to the stresses and newness of LD trail life with typically many unknown individually specific challenges and lack of knowledge. Adding complexity to the situation with a shoestring budget, when the goal is to have the most enjoyable journey and actually hike the entire AT, contributes further risk to not accomplishing these goals.

JumpMaster Blaster
05-06-2016, 16:51

1. Hiker boxes
2. Trail magic
3. Hiker feeds
4. Yogi-ing
6. Starvation

I'd skip the gear shakedown at Mountain Crossings altogether if on that tight of a budget. FWIW, I'd ask for free opinions right here on WB.

soumodeler
05-06-2016, 21:34
I'd skip the gear shakedown at Mountain Crossings altogether if on that tight of a budget. FWIW, I'd ask for free opinions right here on WB.

The shakedown is (was?) free at Neel Gap. They will make some suggestions that you don't have to take if they cost money, but a lot of what they suggest is leaving stuff behind.

perrito
05-09-2016, 17:15
Joe Brewer's advice:
https://youtu.be/NiiU7opMHJU