PDA

View Full Version : Taking Care Of My Medicine On The Trail

Googan
05-05-2016, 00:51
How should I keep my medicine on the trail. I'm just trying to avoid the disaster of messing up my medicine.

Deacon
05-05-2016, 06:40
A couple things:
Wally World has little ziploc type baggies that are about an inch and a half square that are great for some common meds.

However, for some of the more tightly controlled pain relief meds (oxycodone for example), you must have the written prescription with you. The blister packs work very well as each pill is protected from moisture, and, the prescription can be imprinted on the edge of the pack by your pharmacy.

I've found that just carrying a bottle of pills can result in powdering of the pills due to vibration of each step.

illabelle
You might wanna define what the problem is. Is it a liquid? Needs to be kept cool? If it's just pills, there's no issue.

Diamondlil
I'm putting mine in small ziplock bags, the kind you get with jewelry. I picked them up at Michael's, 100 for $2.00+/-. I put my AM's and PM's in separate little bags mark them. I'm sending re supply boxes so I'll have a weeks worth on me and have a weeks worth in each box. If corse I'll have a few extra days in my first aid kit just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcranky
05-05-2016, 09:05
Film can, with a tissue to keep the pills from bouncing around. That and my inhaler are kept in a ziploc sandwich bag inside my ditty bag.

nsherry61
05-05-2016, 10:51
Film can, with a tissue to keep the pills from bouncing around. . .
If you know a diabetic, you can bum an empty glucose test strip container from him or her. They are slightly smaller than a film canister, have an attached lid, and most importantly, are lined with a desiccant, so anything inside stays absolutely dry (assuming the user kept the lid closed after they were done using the bottle). Then, a cotton ball on top and you have one of the worlds most awesome pill containers. Test strip bottles also make great micro geocache containers for the same reasons.

Turk6177
05-05-2016, 12:18
I keep all my medicine in a small zip lock style bag. REI has several sizes. I put mine in my "junk drawer" stuff sack with all my other grab and go items, such as my wipes, TP, headlamp, first aid kit, glide, emergency matches, etc. I just dump out the proper pills in the morning out of the ziplock style bag. If your pills are so similar looking that you can confuse them, then store them in separate little zip lock bags and use a marker to identify what is in the bag.

Dogwood
05-05-2016, 13:15
Daily portions, which for me are more than 20 different supplements, are divided into Snack Size Ziplocs placed into a larger quart Size Ziploc gently rolled up with rubber bands around placed inside either my trail food bag or cookware. Be discreet about pill use. It raises attention. If prescription meds especially pain relievers make sure you have documentation or be able to prove your legal without undue hassle. For this reason alone I label all my supplements, how many I have, what they are, and daily dosage. Anyone asks I can relate exactly what I take each one for. I've had to do that twice at NPs being detained for more than an hr each time. Smaller thicker plastic bags with a tight Ziploc like seal are good for smaller amounts of pills.

OCDave
05-05-2016, 13:20
Googan,

How many medications are you using? How many require multiple doses/day?

If you have a high pill burden, it might be worth considering a pharmacy that will package your medications together by dose time. Pillpack for example; https://www.pillpack.com I don't know what the premium would be for their service. Perhaps your local pharmacy could offer a comparable service.

Good Luck

Googan
05-05-2016, 15:54
Googan,

If you have a high pill burden, it might be worth considering a pharmacy that will package your medications together by dose time. Pillpack for example; https://www.pillpack.com I don't know what the premium would be for their service. Perhaps your local pharmacy could offer a comparable service.

Good Luck

2 medicines. They're just expensive and it would be bad for me to have them compromised by humidity, water or anything else.

QiWiz
05-05-2016, 16:00
Each med in its own small ziplock, labelled with a sharpie, all the ziplocks go into my first aid pouch, which also has tape, bandaids, bacitracin ointment, and some repair stuff like needle and thread. This pouch is always inside the pack but near the top so it is kept cooler (than in an outside pocket) but still accessible.

OCDave
05-05-2016, 16:02
2 medicines. They're just expensive and it would be bad for me to have them compromised by humidity, water or anything else.

Ask your pharmacist if they are available as unit dosed/ blister packs. Hospitals purchase most meds packaged this way. It provides expiration date 3-5 years rather than 12 months.

Slosteppin
05-05-2016, 20:36
I also pack my pills in the small "ziploc" type bags. Then I go another step. A local outfitter carries small plastic screw top jars. The pills won't get crushed in the small jars. This also eliminates any chance of pills getting wet.

Deacon
05-06-2016, 06:42
Googan,

Good Luck

Walmart (and possibly your pharmacy) packages pills in the little push out foil cards for free. Just tell them you want them that way. Since each pill is separate, they are well protected from humidity.

Gentle
05-06-2016, 21:31
I'm in the same boat. For controlled substances I'm stuck carrying the bottle, but both bottle or ziploc bags can have a desicant (sp?) placed inside them or some rice to absorb moisture. As for bottles (as others have mentioned) stuff with tissue or something similar to reduce rattle and help prevent powdering.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk