PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Hiking Poles

Singto
05-05-2016, 07:03
At Cheaper Than Dirt: Chinook Technical Outdoors Back Country 3 lightweight (weight unknown) aluminum FLIP LOCK poles for just over $16 per pair + shipping.

All time favorites are Cascade Mountain Lightweight (less than 8 ounces per) composite flip lock cork handled for about $45 per pair on Amazon.

The Cleaner
05-05-2016, 07:26
There's a ton of free ones at most trailheads.They're called hiking sticks and last week I picked up a friend of mine currently thru hiking at Hot Springs.He made it from Springer Mtn. in 28 days using only one free,reusable all natural stick.:sun

Busky2
05-05-2016, 08:50
PLUS 1 on the Cascade Mt. Tech Hiking poles (http://www.cascademountaintech.com/Quick-Lock-Trekking-Poles-p/1010.htm)

DuneElliot
05-05-2016, 09:06
I also have the Cascade Mtn Tech flip-lock poles. I was advised very intently to avoid anything with twist lock.

Mouser999
05-05-2016, 09:16
Head on over to wallyworld. Under $20 gets u a pair. Mine have been holding up for months

Pots
05-05-2016, 09:18
I bought $20 adjustable poles from walmart and they haven't broken yet!

Greenlight
05-05-2016, 09:24
I, too, recommend the stick. Found this one in a cave at Turkey Run SP in eastern Indiana.

There's a ton of free ones at most trailheads.They're called hiking sticks and last week I picked up a friend of mine currently thru hiking at Hot Springs.He made it from Springer Mtn. in 28 days using only one free,reusable all natural stick.:sun

nsherry61
05-05-2016, 10:45
FWIW: I find a stick or a single walking pole of any kind to be of marginal use.

They help occasionally on obstacles, but in 45 years of backpacking and experimenting with them, I've never found the trade-off of dealing with a single pole to be worth the occasional advantage.

Conversely, after the first time I tried trekking poles (about 5 years ago) I have become a complete convert. Trekking poles are a pain to deal with, especially on bushy trails, but wow, the performance advantage of using them is profound for me!

And, the performance advantage has increased significantly with time.

In my first year of using trekking poles, they helped noticeably, especially on steeper and longer climbs. But, over the last few years of using them, my body has acclimated to them such that I don't pay close attention to where I place them anymore, they just go naturally where they need to (most of the time) just like my feet. And more importantly, my body has started using them in subtle ways that have substantially increased my power and endurance, even on level ground, which I wouldn't have believed would happen the first year I used them.

pesphoto
05-05-2016, 11:38
I bought $20 adjustable poles from walmart and they haven't broken yet!
I used these for a year until I was going up a creek like trail and put one thru a bed of moss, I went down and bent the pole over a log.
But best part of these is you can go get another pair for $20....

pesphoto
05-05-2016, 11:43
...though if i was thru hiking Id probably would get higher quality...

Cheyou
05-05-2016, 11:45
Not a fan of carbon poles. Rockslyvania is tough on them

Connie
05-07-2016, 01:33
I haven't had any hiking poles ever break down.

I have had Komperdells and before that, a "real" hiking stick made of wood. I used that hiking stick for pole vaulting over marshy places on the trail.

No kidding!

Now, I have a 7 oz. YoYo single hiking stick. It is so compact, broken down for my backpack, and so lightweight, it is a pleasure to have. It is user serviceable, if the webbing cord needs replacement. I like that. I was never good at replacing the shock cord. It seems sturdy enough for any use I anticipate. I do not have "rocksylvania" in my hiking future plans, and I avoid the rock scree slopes in The Rocky Mountains. The single YoYo hiking stick is certainly sturdy enough for my Deschutes tarp.

Singto
05-07-2016, 05:28
Head on over to wallyworld. Under $20 gets u a pair. Mine have been holding up for months

With FLIP LOCKS?

Singto
05-07-2016, 05:34
I used these for a year until I was going up a creek like trail and put one thru a bed of moss, I went down and bent the pole over a log.
But best part of these is you can go get another pair for $20....

Exactly. All trekking poles can break under ABOUT the same stresses so replacing a $20 set is far less painful then replacing a $100+ set.

lemon b
05-07-2016, 07:27
Wal marts are ok. Currently, I have Komperdells, and a single Wal Mart. Three thru hikers walked into a hardware store I was working at in Lee, Ma. They were about to get tossed out on account of smelling till i caught wind and got en what they needed. Only one was having real hiking pole issues so I brought him in back to our general repair stuff room with tools, sprays all that stuff. A place customers ain't suppose to go, except for family. Don't know what he did, but he left with good as new poles. Guess what I'm saying is thru hikers figure stuff out and make adjustments, but there all gonna need some tlc once in awhile. Don't even remember the trail names but they were family to me.

Dogwood
05-07-2016, 14:00

Doesn't get out of pocket cheaper than that. I have the same found hickory stick weighing 9 oz that has saved me countless times from falling and assisting with fords that I picked up in Ga on a 06 AT NOBO thru-hike that I also thru-hiked the Long Trail with. Has tape wrapped around it for multi purpose uses, a hallowed out handle that I store a survival kit in, and 100's of signatures on it of people I met traveling those two trails.

RockDoc
05-07-2016, 14:09
A few years ago there was a barrel full of beautiful hand made wood swirl hiking poles at Wood's Hole Hostel, for a donation as I recall. I think they were made by a relative of the owners... I got one and stowed away my techie pole in my pack, just to hold up my Gatewood Cape at night. I got so many comments and nice conversations because of this unique wood pole (never happens with techie poles). And the fingers and hand love to worry all the bumps and lumps on the handle, gives them something to do while hiking.

I left it in my friend's garage and he later returned it to me, laser engraved with my trail name! What a prize. Thanks Woods Hole folks!

Dogwood
05-07-2016, 17:20
A few years ago there was a barrel full of beautiful hand made wood swirl hiking poles at Wood's Hole Hostel, for a donation as I recall. I think they were made by a relative of the owners... I got one and stowed away my techie pole in my pack, just to hold up my Gatewood Cape at night. I got so many comments and nice conversations because of this unique wood pole (never happens with techie poles). And the fingers and hand love to worry all the bumps and lumps on the handle, gives them something to do while hiking.

I left it in my friend's garage and he later returned it to me, laser engraved with my trail name! What a prize. Thanks Woods Hole folks!

That account brings back many good memories at Wood's Hole Hostel. I remember seeing the barrel many yrs ago and then later. Good story.

Abi
05-08-2016, 05:48
At Cheaper Than Dirt: Chinook Technical Outdoors Back Country 3 lightweight (weight unknown) aluminum FLIP LOCK poles for just over $16 per pair + shipping.

All time favorites are Cascade Mountain Lightweight (less than 8 ounces per) composite flip lock cork handled for about $45 per pair on Amazon.

Looks like maybe a single pole not a pair?

Mouser999
05-10-2016, 13:54
Twist locks. 6 months later still in good shape

dgoggins
05-10-2016, 18:33
I didn't know the cascade trekking poles were on amazon! I thought they were only sold at Costco..so thank you for saving me a trip.

Heather_VT
05-13-2016, 09:49
Mountainsmith Pinnacle Trekking Poles (http://goo.gl/if7XS9)

$25

Komperdell Basic Trekking Poles (http://goo.gl/ApIdRa)
$40

Cascade Mountain Tech Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles (http://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Mountain-Tech-Carbon-Trekking/dp/B00EJP43FA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1461247149&sr=1-6&keywords=trekking+poles&linkCode=ll1&tag=hithjm-20&linkId=ec0ae6cd5452b49bd1e85da33d448426)
$45

Outdoor Products Summit Trekking Pole (not sold in a pair, need to buy two) (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Products-Summit-Trekking-Pole-Blue/36547637)
$16

Kelty Upslope 2.0 Trekking Poles (http://goo.gl/S5pVGp)
$31

Secondmouse
05-13-2016, 14:49
Komperdell makes REI poles, right? anyone know if the tips are replaceable?..

cmoulder
05-13-2016, 16:02
YES! (http://www.komperdell.com/images/pdf_faq_en/14.pdf)

and a few more characters to satisfy the minimum!:)

-Rush-
05-13-2016, 17:21
I picked up a pair of these on Massdrop.com for $60/each. Super light and super strong. Never slip.

https://backpackinglight.com/fizan_compact_poles_review/

Heather_VT
05-16-2016, 09:02
The Fizan ones are so tempting! When I first heard of them, they weren't available in the US so I decided not to go through the trouble of buying them. I ended up getting a pair of Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork trekking poles, which have worked well.

left52side
05-16-2016, 09:23
There seems to be A great set on amazon listed under hiker hunger trekking poles.
Check them out,top quality materials at A minimum price. under 60.00 for the pair.

-Rush-
05-17-2016, 01:08
The Fizan ones are so tempting! When I first heard of them, they weren't available in the US so I decided not to go through the trouble of buying them. I ended up getting a pair of Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork trekking poles, which have worked well.

I just noticed I said $60/each.. I meant $60/pair.

Connie
05-17-2016, 05:11
I got the YoYo hiking pole(s) at Amazon: collapsible, aircraft aluminum, wrist strap, lengthened grips down the pole, and repairable by me, unless I destroy the aluminum shaft. 7 oz.

These have webbing instead of elastic shock cord. I have never been clever enough to replace elastic shock cord. These are a design even I can replace what they use, if necessary.

I have never bent a hiking stick shaft, so I think this one is a bargain.

49" total length, is specified for my Deschutes tarp.

I think they have an adjustable length model. I just hold it further down the shaft on the lengthened grip. Rather than adjust the length, I prefer the lengthened grip for steep terrain.

The brown (bronze-brown) color is a more subtle color.

I do like more subtle colors for clothing and gear. I have "neon green" or orange if I need it.

Heather_VT
05-17-2016, 08:09
That's a great price. Had that drop happened a couple of years ago (before I bought my current trekking poles), I totally would have bought them.

Odd Man Out
05-17-2016, 10:27
My Fizan Mass drop poles shipped yesterday. Looking forward to them. I currently have BD alpine Ergo Corks. Very nice, but heavy. Wanted to try something lighter.

Also, several years ago on the show Shark Tank a guy was on with a device he "invented". It was basically a pimped out single trekking pole. He enthusiastically explained all of its benefits. When he was done, one of the sharks looked at him and said "Congratulations. You've invented the stick." Needless to say he was not funded.

-Rush-
05-22-2016, 12:49
They are back on MassDrop. Already unlocked at $50 which is a steal. I think you need to sign up to see the listing.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fizan-compact-poles

Specs

Fizan
Material: Aluminum alloy 7001
Basket: 2 in (5 cm)
Flexy Locking System
Eva grip with neoprene strap
E-basket with carbide tip
Made in Italy

Compact 3

3 telescopic sections: 1.7, 1.6, and 1.4 cm thick
Extension: 22.8 – 52 in (58 – 132 cm)
Weight per pole: 5.6 oz (158 g)

Compact 4

4 telescopic sections: 1.7, 1.6, 1.4, and 1.2 cm thick
Extension: 19.3 – 49.2 in (49 – 125 cm)
Weight per pole, with straps: 6 oz (169 g)

Included

2 poles with removable straps
Rubber tip protectors
Hiking baskets
Small snow baskets

ShippingDomestic and international orders will be shipped by Massdrop.
Estimated ship date is Jun 10, 2016.
After the drop ends, check the discussion page for updates.

left52side
05-25-2016, 15:35
I just ordered A pair of the cascade mountain tech because of the reviews on here of them.
I have two pairs of the wally world brand and honestly they are holding up fine but wanted to check out some carbon ones after using A set of my buddies on A recent day hike.

Singto
05-27-2016, 02:00
I prefer carbon poles to aluminum alloy. Far less of a lightning rod. I own both but will only use the alloy sets on short hikes when I know there won't be any inclement (lightning) weather.

Singto
05-27-2016, 02:01
Mountainsmith Pinnacle Trekking Poles (http://goo.gl/if7XS9)
$25

Komperdell Basic Trekking Poles (http://goo.gl/ApIdRa)
$40

Cascade Mountain Tech Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles (http://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Mountain-Tech-Carbon-Trekking/dp/B00EJP43FA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1461247149&sr=1-6&keywords=trekking+poles&linkCode=ll1&tag=hithjm-20&linkId=ec0ae6cd5452b49bd1e85da33d448426)
$45

Outdoor Products Summit Trekking Pole (not sold in a pair, need to buy two) (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Products-Summit-Trekking-Pole-Blue/36547637)
$16

Kelty Upslope 2.0 Trekking Poles (http://goo.gl/S5pVGp)
$31

Nice post!

Singto
05-27-2016, 02:11
Looks like maybe a single pole not a pair?

At the time, they were selling with a 25% discount that If you placed 2 in the shopping cart and went to checkout, you would have found a final cost of $16 for TWO plus shipping. My shipping was about $7 which came out to less than $12 per pole...good price for flip lock poles.

volleypc
07-05-2016, 15:38

I made it well into New Hampshire all the way from Georgia. The ends were greatly worn and almost up to the aluminum when I finally broke it going downhill to fast trying to beat a storm to town. The screw comes loose, but a little loctite cures that problem.

Odd Man Out
07-05-2016, 17:10
Used my Fizan poles on a 40 mile section in SNP. Very nice. They were much easier to swing than my heavy BD Alpine Ergo Corks. They have an interesting locking mechanism. Other twist locks seem to lock at the bottom of the outer segment, clamping down on the inner segment where the two segments join. The Fizan turns this around. The locking mechanism is at the top end of the inner segment deep inside the pole. You can pull the poles apart for easy cleaning and maintainance, revealing that the locking mechanism is just a single plastic plug screwed on the tips of the inner segments. As a result, the outside of the pole is smooth, looking almost like a solid fixed length pole.

DuneElliot
07-05-2016, 17:20
After more than 100 miles O have to say I still love my Cascade Mtn Tech flick-lock poles...no obvious wear on the carbide tips, no vibration and the handles and holding up well. Have never had slippage from set length during hiking or under pressure from tent set-up. My step-mom liked mine so much she bought a set for herself.

Miles 2 Go
07-10-2016, 20:48
I started with Walmart trekking poles with the flip locks that after a year the locks no longer worked. So I up graded to Black Diamond Z-poles that were fixed length. I now use Easton AL 2 trekking poles with twist locks because I needed adjustable poles for my shelter. One thing I found that set them apart was how comfortable the grips were to me. I found the Walmart okay, but the Black Diamonds were the best followed closely by the Easton. As far as flip locks being better I was skeptical that the twist locks would hold up. So far may twist lock poles have been working fine. As far as finding inexpensive poles, just keep searching the internet for close outs, that how I bought my Easton AL 2 for $20.00 off Amazon last year.

cmoulder
07-11-2016, 06:57
I started with Walmart trekking poles with the flip locks that after a year the locks no longer worked.

Just curious, but why did they no longer work? Did you tighten the screw that makes the cam/clamp hold more tightly? Not much to go wrong with a flicklock other than outright breakage of the clamp or stripping the screw.

lyagooshka
07-11-2016, 10:14

Ditto there.
Wally World hast them from $18 on up (to over $50).
Very few things I would get there, but the poles are one.

I typically agree with the "free" ones that come as part of the trail, but I like a set of "man-made" ones just for the collapsibility.

Alex

Miles 2 Go
07-11-2016, 21:44
cmoulder,
They would start to slip and I would tighten down the screw some. I did this a few times over the course of a hiking year. What happened is I could no longer tighten up the screw because the clamp maxed out/closed completely and the poles were still slipping.

Rex Clifton
08-27-2016, 19:38
Buy used. Anything inexpensive and new is going to be ****.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

AfterParty
08-27-2016, 20:45
Goodwill my brother got me some lekis.

MtDoraDave
09-03-2016, 14:09
PLUS 1 on the Cascade Mt. Tech Hiking poles (http://www.cascademountaintech.com/Quick-Lock-Trekking-Poles-p/1010.htm)

I was just looking around their website, and you can buy the lower, middle, or upper portion replacements, as well as the locking mechanism replacements, rubber boots, or baskets. So if you break a pole because it gets stuck between rocks as you are falling or something, lets say the lower section breaks - you can replace it for for $9.

I'll be getting a pair of these soon(ish)

OwenM
09-04-2016, 04:50
The Outdoor Gear poles from WalMart are garbage. Just don't.
I broken a flick lock one in the store just locking it, and can collapse random samples(had a video on my old phone) of the screw type with one hand.
Made the video after chunking a pair on my return from a short trip where I left my BD Trail poles in my other vehicle and had to grab the WalMart poles en route(my tent requires trekking poles). They almost got me dunked in a river by collapsing a few hundred yards into my hike, and collapsed several more times when I had to weight them individually negotiating obstacles.
Lesson learned, and I've since kept a cheaper pair of BDs in my less used truck while the Trails live in the trunk of the car I usually drive.

MtDoraDave
12-08-2016, 08:13
I only had one collapse on me once - after using them hard on a climb, and twisting slightly with each step, I unknowingly loosened it. Tightened it back up and it hasn't been a problem since then - just make sure they are tight before setting out. During my last section hike, I noticed the steel/carbide tip on another walmart pole was gone. That's two tips in 500 or so hiking miles. I also noticed one of them was getting finicky with the twist lock adjustment...I had a hard time getting it to tighten/ lock. An issue because I have to change the length from hiking to holding up my tent.
Rather than buying ANOTHER replacement, I went ahead and ordered the Cascade Mountain poles through Amazon last Friday. They showed up yesterday (Wednesday), and I am happy. They are, indeed, lighter and I like the flick locks as opposed to the twist locks.

Using the rubber tips inside my house on the tile floors, one of them makes that slight rattle that poles make, the other is quiet. It has never bothered me with my aluminum poles so it won't bother me now - just wanted to give an honest and thorough report.

ScareBear
12-08-2016, 08:37
I, too, recommend the stick. Found this one in a cave at Turkey Run SP in eastern Indiana.

Spent many a night at Turkey Run SP. Excellent area.

ScareBear
12-08-2016, 08:39
Just one correction. Turkey Run SP in Indiana is in West-Central Indiana. Certainly not Eastern Indiana....it is WNW of Indianapolis...

ScareBear
12-08-2016, 08:48
Wal marts are ok. Currently, I have Komperdells, and a single Wal Mart. Three thru hikers walked into a hardware store I was working at in Lee, Ma. They were about to get tossed out on account of smelling till i caught wind and got en what they needed. Only one was having real hiking pole issues so I brought him in back to our general repair stuff room with tools, sprays all that stuff. A place customers ain't suppose to go, except for family. Don't know what he did, but he left with good as new poles. Guess what I'm saying is thru hikers figure stuff out and make adjustments, but there all gonna need some tlc once in awhile. Don't even remember the trail names but they were family to me.

The Walmart poles are Outdoor Products. Certainly made in China. That said, they are 20 bucks, weigh about the same as most aluminum poles, have an anti-shock feature, and are reasonably durable. I have had the twist lock "fail" on one of six poles. The key is not to extend the pole to the stop mark or past it. I would recommend these poles as a starting point, especially to see if you like poles.

I am a fan of Black Diamond poles. They are made to withstand the rigors of backcountry/randonee skiing. The flip-locks are bomb-proof. They are not cheap. I do not believe these are made in the US anymore, either.

Carbon fibre poles can degrade rapidly once there has been a cut of some kind to the fibre. Ordinary nicks won't do it. It has to be a pretty good ding. The same ding would like impact the tensile strength of an Al pole as well. Never straighten a bent or curved/warped pole. Throw it away.

I don't wear the loops, ever, at any time. YMMV...just sayin....

Greenlight
12-08-2016, 13:31
Just one correction. Turkey Run SP in Indiana is in West-Central Indiana. Certainly not Eastern Indiana....it is WNW of Indianapolis...

You are absolutely correct, I don't know what possessed me to write east.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbwood5
12-08-2016, 16:59
This year in May I went across the Grand Canyon and back. I forgot my trekking poles and me knees were hurting a bit when I finished day 1 (South to North rim). I went into the gift shop on the North rim and was happy to see they had hiking poles. With no price on the pair, I was dead sure I would be paying well over $100 since this was a National Park gift shop. I was quite delighted when they rang up $26 plus change. They worked quite well back across the canyon and through Zion a few days later. I honestly couldn't tell much difference between these and my expensive Leki's. Both are the older style twist lock shafts and I know that they have to be disassembled every few years and cleaned.

I think the bottom has fallen out on the price for trekking poles.

devoidapop
12-15-2016, 08:53
One issue I have had with bargain trekking poles is that the metal tips tend to wear down pretty quickly. You can replace them with a heat gun and some glue.

kevperro
12-19-2016, 10:09
One issue I have had with bargain trekking poles is that the metal tips tend to wear down pretty quickly. You can replace them with a heat gun and some glue.

For sure.... I'm a long-time user of the cheapo Walmart twist-locks and the tips wear quickly. You end up with a rounded tip which slips much easier than the well-made carbide tips found on the more expensive poles.

But alas.... Walmart poles work just fine. I find no problem with the twist lock mechanism that so many people claim as bad. I've bent a few.... by errantly placing the pole in proximity to a rock that wouldn't move. It is a situation where I think any pole would bend so I find myself living with cheaper poles rather than worrying that I'll damage "expensive" ones.

Guyler
12-19-2016, 11:29
Anyone used a stick pic/smartphone adaptor with the Amazon Cascade poles?

Dogwood
12-19-2016, 13:15
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/webkit-fake-url://BE112B66-DAA5-435C-9286-C0897E1B1510/PL5008.jpg

Yellow Groove Bamboo Brand $0 Very unique. Bamboo is hollow stem but STRONG when cut next to a node. Other bamboo clumps are found throughout much of the U.S. Bamboo varieties are not all tropical. Groves exist in most U.S. states. Most folks are very happy to have someone interested in their bamboo clumps and groves and very agreeable to allowing another to cutting down one or two 3/4" stems. OK, have to take the U.S. way and buy something $3 1/2-3/4" 4-5' long rigid bamboo garden stakes can be bought at Garden Centers and big box stores. Sustainable and abundant Again, cost is $0

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/webkit-fake-url://FCDE2FEE-F5FC-4550-A820-BB4A3C1C4357/sticks(1).jpg

Diamond Willow Brand $0 Unique. Found throughout much of the U.S. Sustainable. It's actually a deformed diseased wood. Able to be carved. Again, cost $0. Got to be an American always spending money buy one for $15. Have seen gorgeous each unique stair railing and furniture like bed frames and tables made from what was going to be sent to the land fill.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/webkit-fake-url://CF462DA5-D7B0-463E-AE00-2B7A509FD834/_BEN3242c__96069.1340035480.1280.1280.jpg

Twisted Hickory Brand $0 Also as uniques as can be. Again $0

All these "trekking poles" entail an adventurous memorable experience in finding and making one yourself with the experience as unique as the finished trekking pole is unique, something to be cherished that YOU found and "built."

Now, of course that doesn't mean I can't also appreciate the $140 Black Diamond and $170 Komperdell sets I've also bought but the operative word here is inexpensive.

Dogwood
12-19-2016, 13:16
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/webkit-fake-url://E8DF782F-34EB-4861-82FC-E3B7F7520E95/PhyllostacysSpectabilis.jpg