PDA

View Full Version : Is this the SMALLEST shelter?

RITBlake
12-29-2005, 18:35
Is this the smallest shelter on the AT? Don King and I came across it one day and had to take a picture. It was four slanted and rotted out bunks, hardly big enough to hold four adults. Nice spring for a water source. Fire pit and register showed people stayed here. Why I dont know, there was a beautiful new shelter just a mile or so after this one.

Can someone id this one?

Blue Jay
12-29-2005, 18:38
It's in Vermont just north of Kid Gore, but I can't remember the name, give me a minute.

Hammock Hanger
12-29-2005, 18:39
I don't remember what shelter that is, but I believe the unoffical Earl Schaffer Shelter near Peter's Mt Shelter is the smallest.

Hammock Hanger
12-29-2005, 18:41
It's in Vermont just north of Kid Gore, but I can't remember the name, give me a minute.

?Caughnawaga Shelter?????

Blue Jay
12-29-2005, 18:44
Caughnawaga

Blue Jay
12-29-2005, 18:46
Damn HH beat me, now I lose the million dollars. Actually the smallest one (2 person) used to be just south of Damascus, but again someone will beat my hopeless memory. You can fit a few more in Earl's.

Cookerhiker
12-29-2005, 18:48
Small size-wise, what about the old McQueen's Knob shelter in Tennessee?

Hammock Hanger
12-29-2005, 18:51
Damn HH beat me, now I lose the million dollars. Actually the smallest one (2 person) used to be just south of Damascus, but again someone will beat my hopeless memory. You can fit a few more in Earl's.

would that be McQueen's Knob Shelter????:confused:

Cookerhiker
12-29-2005, 18:56
would that be McQueen's Knob Shelter????:confused:

OK - I win!!:clap

max patch
12-29-2005, 18:59
Anyone remember the Hobbit Hut in VT?

WF's description was a real hoot; "Small cabin with 4 minibunks and mini furniture, water from adjacent minicreek. Can sleep minipeople comfortably, but not too many."

AT was supposed to be relocated away from the HH sometime in the early 90's.

I wonder if this shelter still exists and if the old AT is now a blueblaze to it.

Hammock Hanger
12-29-2005, 19:03
OK - I win!!:clap

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap Sue

RITBlake
12-29-2005, 19:06
Small size-wise, what about the old McQueen's Knob shelter in Tennessee?

That is small, don't remember seeing that.

Here is another small one, cold spring shelter. Not only is it small, but its OLD. The floor is the sleeping surface.

Why arn't more shelters built like the Hexacube shelter. It was great!

Cookerhiker
12-29-2005, 20:54
That is small, don't remember seeing that.

Here is another small one, cold spring shelter. Not only is it small, but its OLD. The floor is the sleeping surface.

Why arn't more shelters built like the Hexacube shelter. It was great!

I thought about Cold Spring too. I stayed there on a long section hike, Fall of '04. 5 of us managed to squeeze in. Two hunting dogs which showed up had to stay outside!

Kerosene
12-29-2005, 23:20
Kid Gore Shelter is quite a bit nicer than Caughnawaga, and they're so close that you can hear people from the other shelter if the air is just right. There used to be a shelter just north of I-76(?) outside of Frederick, Maryland that was built by the CCC in the '30s that was very small and dark, but fortunately I was going on to Dahlgren Campsite and a shower for the night.

veteran
12-30-2005, 00:08
Kid Gore Shelter is quite a bit nicer than Caughnawaga, and they're so close that you can hear people from the other shelter if the air is just right. There used to be a shelter just north of I-76(?) outside of Frederick, Maryland that was built by the CCC in the '30s that was very small and dark, but fortunately I was going on to Dahlgren Campsite and a shower for the night.

That is I-70 and it is Rocky Run Shelter (1941)—Sleeps 4. Built by the CCC.

http://gallery.backcountry.net/albums/papabear_2003_HF_Duncannon/aav.sized.jpg