PDA

View Full Version : First over nights ever...

THEDON
05-05-2016, 15:16
Wife and I have day hiked the SNP from I-64 to Pen-Mar. I'm going to solo the 40 miles between Pen-Mar and Pine Grove state park. I'm 63 and we got into hiking the AT last year when we moved from Ohio to the Shenandoah valley area here in VA.

Planning day 1 (this Sunday) to the Antietam shelter (8 miles), Monday 8 miles to Rocky Mt. shelter, day 3 Tues 10 miles to a tent site ( according to Gutthook app) at AT mile 1088 and then 13 miles to the the park on Weds. Planning all tenting at the shelters.

Been doing day hikes with the pack this year and 8-10 miles is no problem at about 20 lbs. Total weight (with no water) including meals and snacks for these 4 days just over 25 lbs.

Gear is osprey atmos 65 and rain cover (sleeping bag is also in a trash bag), BA copper spur 2 (debating on bring the ground cloth) therma-rest neo air regular, Marmot Aspen 40 degree bag, silk liner (wife insists), etekcity stove/fuel and just the GSI dualist pot (not the rest of the stuff that came with it) a coffee mug and spork. first aid kit ( just some basic stuff and deet) toilet and hygiene stuff, a trowel and a knock off pair of crocs. Sawyer squeeze and the 2 liter bag for it, a smart water bottle and a 2L Geigregg bladder the kids got me. A pair of trekking poles.

Have about 30 miles on a new pair of Keen targhee mids ( switch out from trail runners as wanted better ankle support) and no hot spots or blisters.

Clothes- just a pair of convertible pants, rain jkt, 2 shirts, 2 briefs and 2 socks. 2nd shirt is because rain expected on Tues/Weds. and thinking I may appreciate something dry if needed. Clothes were sent out to insect-a-shield for tick treating and back pack was sprayed with sawyer permethian spray. I think I'm good to go--oh yea I'll have paper maps in addition to the app (along with a rav-power battery to charge phone if needed).
Any thoughts?
Don

dudeijuststarted
05-05-2016, 16:01
maybe a little overkill on the anti-insect treatment but whatever. if i hiked in briefs my thighs would be hamburger. Consider taking body glide or switching to something like compression underwear.

That's a great stretch of trail. Have fun.

OkeefenokeeJoe
05-05-2016, 16:24
Walk in reverence on those sacred, hallowed Southern grounds.

OkeefenokeeJoe

1azarus
05-05-2016, 16:34
sorry, "dude just started", but I think the clothing tick treatment is a wonderful idea. it really really works spectacularly. you have wisely planned pretty low mile days so the odds of having trouble with your feet are small, but I would bring some duct tape (or other treatment of your choice) in case you do develop a hot spot on your feet. I do agree with the body glide suggestion... although I have never used body glide, I do like having an ointment to put on my feet before hiking all day in the rain...I've always used hydropel, but that isn't available any more so have just switched to GurneyGoo. Some similar ointment is handy if you get monkey butt, as I unfortunately know from experience. I guess ibuprofin isn't a bad idea, too. The big idea is to complete the adventure feeling pretty good!

it should be a great trip!

bigcranky
05-05-2016, 17:32
Having had a confirmed case of Lyme disease, I'm all for permethrin on all my clothing and some of my gear. Ticks suck.

As for the hike, have a great time. Take it easy, stop at the overlooks, enjoy each moment.

Rocket Jones
05-05-2016, 17:58
Absolutely agree about the anti-tick measures. Had a "mild" case of Lyme that was caught very early, and it still kicked my butt for a couple of months.

THEDON
05-05-2016, 19:00
Thanks all, some good ideas..
I do have some body glide ,but never had a problem in all our hikes. That being said, an ounce of prevention, I'll bring some glide along (1st aid has a little one dose chaffing gel but that would be, now that I think about it, after the fact...),. Briefs-- Exofficio compression--not sure I like them but going to try--other pair is Addidas hiking a bit looser. I've got duct tape around a pencil in first aid kit and some leukotape around a pole. "Vitamin I" is in kit, Blister stuff part of kit.

Hikes in Rain
05-05-2016, 19:12
First overnight (outside?) ever: don't expect to sleep very well. So many new stimulatory inputs! But that's OK. Enjoy it. Losing a night's sleep won't hurt, and you're in for such a nice new experience. If it's not raining or threatening to, consider "sleeping" under the stars. The night sky can be amazing. You'll most likely sleep more than you think you did, and you'll enjoy the sights, sounds, smells, the cool of the night air, while you're awake. Don't worry, there's nothing out there that will hurt you. Just enjoy.

Huli
05-05-2016, 20:06
Go to the hardware store and get a bit of tyvek. Google search for how to make a rain skirt. I am headed out this weekend to make mine. Going to get a bit extra and make a ground cloth too.