PDA

View Full Version : Verizon service at Fontana?

r2davis65
05-06-2016, 07:22
How is Verizon cell service at Fontana Dam? I'm slack packing the Stecoah to Fontana Dam stretch on Saturday. Just wondering if I'll be able to call or text from the dam area.

map man
05-06-2016, 08:12
I have Verizon and this time last year I remember getting good reception just up the hill from the Fontana Hilton, near the restrooms. It's the only place I tried to make a call in that area and I'm guessing that reception will be good as well on the road walk leading to the dam.

HooKooDooKu
05-06-2016, 09:42
I too have Verizon. It's been a while since I tried to use my cell phone around there... but from what I recall of my experience, I was not able to get service right at the dam. But similar to map man's experience, I seem to recall getting service along the road leading to the dam.

The verizon coverage map shows very spotty coverage in the area. The map shows a tiny pocket of coverage between the Fontana Marina and the Fontana Hilton. It show no coverage right on the dam, but shows another tiny pocket of coverage as you enter GSMNP on the far side of the dam.

la.lindsey
05-06-2016, 10:13
No service at the dam. You'll have decent service at the shelter though, so make your call there before you get to the dam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyPaper
05-06-2016, 10:13
How is Verizon cell service at Fontana Dam? I'm slack packing the Stecoah to Fontana Dam stretch on Saturday. Just wondering if I'll be able to call or text from the dam area.

I also was able to use the Verizon network near the "hilton", but not down at the dam.

TNhiker
05-06-2016, 14:03
same experience with me...

i have however, gotten cell service when ive been on a canoe on the lake............and at CS 76............and at CS 51 as well....