PDA

View Full Version : Standing Bear to Hot Springs

daddytwosticks
05-06-2016, 07:23
If life does not get in the way, I'll be starting a section hike next Friday from Standing Bear hostel area north into Hot Springs. I've never ventured across this part of the trail. I've checked past posts about this area and understand that this section of the trail seems to have a high frequency of bear encounters. Just wondering if anybody has been through this section recently and can provide information on trail conditions, bear activity, how water is flowing, etc. Also, any stretches of trail where it's sometimes hard to find water? Maybe I'll see some Whiteblazers out hiking? Thanks in advance for any information. :)

doingtime
05-06-2016, 08:48
Can you wait a week? I'm planning on doing this stretch the following weekend?

I've hiked from Max patch to Lemon Gap and there was multiple creek crossing and plenty of water through this stretch.

AO2134
05-06-2016, 10:15
I was hoping to do Davenport Gap to US-19 beginning on May 20. Unfortunately, no one can make this trip. I don't want to afford the shuttle cost ($250). It is just too much for me.

Farfyter
05-06-2016, 10:37
Wondering about bear activity also, we will be starting at Lemon Gap and going to Standing Bear the same day.

LuckyMan
05-06-2016, 12:09
I started at Davenport Gap last fall and hiked north to harpers ferry and DC, saw bears the first three days of the hike and elsewhere- they all ran like hell from me, are hunted with dogs and most are desperate to avoid people - unless some idiot has fed them.

wornoutboots
05-06-2016, 13:45
You'll see plenty of hikers in this section & still a few thru's, water is plenty & bears will be around, just camp smart. I saw 2 cubs & a sow last week at Davenport gap shelter just S of there & I read a journal recently that hikers had to chase a bear away from Groundhog Creek Shelter. I hope the weather is nice! It's a great section & I hope you hit Max Patch in perfect conditions like I did a few weeks ago! Have a Blast!

kolokolo
05-06-2016, 14:06
If life does not get in the way, I'll be starting a section hike next Friday from Standing Bear hostel area north into Hot Springs. :)

Hey, I'm starting next Saturday SB from Sams Gap, and hope to get to Hot Springs on Monday. May see you on the trail or in town.

daddytwosticks
05-06-2016, 16:04
Can you wait a week? I'm planning on doing this stretch the following weekend?

I've hiked from Max patch to Lemon Gap and there was multiple creek crossing and plenty of water through this stretch.

Can't delay a week...about the only weekend available until Memorial Day weekend. Thanks for the water info. Western NC is currently in a moderate drought...that's the reason I asked. :)

daddytwosticks
05-06-2016, 16:05
Hey, I'm starting next Saturday SB from Sams Gap, and hope to get to Hot Springs on Monday. May see you on the trail or in town.

Looks like I'll be a day ahead of you. Will be pulling into Hot Springs on Sunday afternoon if all goes according to plans. :)

daddytwosticks
05-06-2016, 16:06
You'll see plenty of hikers in this section & still a few thru's, water is plenty & bears will be around, just camp smart. I saw 2 cubs & a sow last week at Davenport gap shelter just S of there & I read a journal recently that hikers had to chase a bear away from Groundhog Creek Shelter. I hope the weather is nice! It's a great section & I hope you hit Max Patch in perfect conditions like I did a few weeks ago! Have a Blast!

I expected to see some thru hiker stragglers in this section. Thanks for the info about the bears. :)

Theosus
05-10-2016, 07:17
Not too recently... did it in October and there was plenty of water. Beautiful hike. Walnut Mountain shelter was one of my favorite nights on the trail, period. Its just downhill from a semi-bald mountain top where you can watch the sunset. The apple trees were loaded with fruit then, we had free apples. This time of year it's probably going to be pretty busy. At both shelters they have springs for water, the one at walnut mountain was way down a hill but decent flow. The other one at groundhog creek was free flowing out of a pipe, almost like a garden hose flow. Max patch should be great this time of year too.

Farfyter
05-17-2016, 10:40
Just finished Lemon Gap to I40. Only bear sign was a pile of poop in the trail going up Snowbird near Wildcat Springs. Plenty of water .

daddytwosticks
05-17-2016, 16:12
It was a great hike. Windy and cold at Walnut Mtn. shelter on Saturday night. Didn't see a bear but one hiker saw one right before Groundhog Creek shelter on Friday afternoon. Very good trail conditions. Got very good cell phone reception (Verizon) throughout the hike. Water was generally plentiful and the guide was dead on wrt locations (AWOL guide). Water was hard to find north of Garenflo Gap. There was a stream which was just about dry just north of Garenflo and the noted water source at Deer Park shelter was great (stream). Met some really nice hikers throughout my journey. Coming into Hot Springs, you can really see the devastation due to the wildfires on the mountain sides north of town. Great section! :)