PDA

View Full Version : Fall flip flop - Southbound Hunting issue

Jay Laveroni
05-06-2016, 08:26
I am starting my Southbound Hike in New York in Mid September and am concerned about hiking during the hunting season in the southern states. Anyone experience any issues regarding safety?

bigcranky
05-06-2016, 09:38
You can check the various state game websites to see the exact seasons, but in general there is bow and black powder hunting mid fall, and firearms seasons later in the fall (mid November or thereabouts). Bow and black powder aren't an issue, and really only the opening weekend of firearms season for deer will see an appreciable number of hunters near the AT. (On one hike on opening weekend in TN we saw probably two dozen hunters along the AT.)

I use a blaze orange pack cover, and on opening weekend I'd try not to be on the trail at dawn or dusk :) Other than that, I've not had a problem in many years of fall hiking in the South. It's true that there have been hikers injured by hunters on the AT, but these cases are pretty rare. (And they always involve the hunter making a very bad decision on when to fire. That doesn't help the hiker, of course :( )

fiddlehead
05-06-2016, 09:47
You may hit some deer hunting seasons if you go slow.
Archers are nothing to worry about.
They are generally better hunters, must be close to their prey and no stray bullets.

The advice about the orange pack cover is not bad, for a hunter behind you.
But most will be in front of you.
So and orange vest or florescent orange streamers or something tied to the front of your shoulder straps is better.
An orange hat is also very important.

I did a SOBO winter hike in 2001/2002 and saw deer season in 11 of the 14 states.
If it was the first day of deer season (when lots of hunters are out), then we took the day off. T
That only happened once and we never really felt in danger.
Most hunters are aware of where they are hunting and are good sportsman.

Good luck and have fun.

Sarcasm the elf
05-06-2016, 10:10
To the best of my knowledge, there has only been one incident in the history lf the A.T. where a hiker was accidently shot by a hunter (and in that case the victim survived) so no it's not something I worry too much about. As others have said, wear hunter orange so that you don't blend in with the background and don't worry too much about it.

la.lindsey
05-06-2016, 10:10
All of my friends are hunters (I live in rural Tennessee). I've had this discussion with them, and other than putting something orange on my pack during deer season, I wouldn't even worry about it. Hunters see you, they hear you, they likely smell you (especially if you're smoking). Also, you're on an established trail, so they should already be looking out for people to begin with.

Obviously there are always idiots and accidents can happen, but you can't prevent every tiny bad thing thing in life. I have a blaze orange hat. If it's cold I wear it. If it's not, I put it on my pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwoSpirits
05-06-2016, 10:13
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever encountered or had problems with what the deer hunters may leave behind in any given area? Specifically talking about gut piles or any other remains that might be too close to a shelter or tenting area, or a water source? That would be another issue to be alert to, in addition to staying visible and trying to avoid the dawn/dusk hours.

AngryGerman
05-08-2016, 08:23
Check local and state hunting regulations before you head out. PA requires all folks in the woods during hunting season to wear a certain amount of blaze orange regardless of where you are and what activity you are partaking in. With that being said; take precautions, wear the blaze orange pack cover and think nothing of it.

On a side note; fall/winter IMO is the best time to hike the AT. If you are near Hawk Mtn. in PA during the peak foliage turn there are some beautiful spots to relax and take in the raptor migration and colors. That area of Schyulkill County has amazing picturesque views.

wornoutboots
05-08-2016, 09:37
It's really a non issue, I've been a Lasher for quite some time now, have hiked a lot in hunting season & have seen very few hunters. The few I have seen, bear hunters in VA & a sprinkling of deer hunters normally just give you the cordial nod. I will say there are a few shelters, "Jerry's Cabin" for one that hunter use are their party spot so I would avoid shelters all together. I agree, the brighter the colors the better!! Have a Blast, Autumn is the a superior time to be in the woods!

egilbe
05-08-2016, 14:24
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever encountered or had problems with what the deer hunters may leave behind in any given area? Specifically talking about gut piles or any other remains that might be too close to a shelter or tenting area, or a water source? That would be another issue to be alert to, in addition to staying visible and trying to avoid the dawn/dusk hours.

Bears and coyotes make short work of gut piles. They are usually cleaned up within an hour.

Spirit Walker
05-09-2016, 12:59
Where we live in PA, hunters often leave the deer's carcass next to the trail. Since we hike with a dog, that can be annoying as we have to wrestle him away from the remains. After a few weeks, though, the bones are usually picked clean.

Plain Pete
05-11-2016, 09:31
About 15 years ago a hiker on the AT was killed by a hunter here in N. Ga. Only fatality I can remember happening. I often meet hunters who are using the trail for access or to drag game out, but most avoid the trail while hunting. Wearing orange is a good idea.