PDA

View Full Version : Question on needle size for Jardine Quilt

SteveK
12-29-2005, 18:49
Hi Everyone:

My wife and I are trying to sew a Jardine Quilt, and had a question on the needle size I should use. I have a Bernina Record Sewing machine, and I bought a #60 needle, which is typically used for organza, or other very light fabrics. Is this needle close to the size I need ?

Any other comments, hints, or recommendations are welcome !

Thanks,

Steve

Patrick
12-29-2005, 19:43
SteveK,

I assume that the 60 is the metric measurement. That would be equivalent to an 8 for Singer, which is the machine I use. I've used between a 12 and 16 (80 - 100 metric), mostly depending on what I had laying around. I'm currently using a 12 for my underquilts, I think. They're the same thickness as Jardine's quilts (two layers of 3D, two layers of 1.1 nylon).

I haven't noticed a huge difference in this range, but I think you'll find the 60 to be a little thin. It's fine for the nylon, but when it comes time to sew the insulation, you mind find it lacking. The insulation tends to catch on stuff a lot and pull the needle laterally.

I made a Jardine quilt this summer and found it an excellent project. If I could offer some suggestions, I think it's a lot easier to pin rather than clothespin the "stack" together and it's MUCH easier to sew the whole thing with the insulation facing down, not up. I find that the insulation gets hung up a lot less that way.

I have a Make Your Own section up on my website. If this is your first project of this type, you might find it useful. Good luck with your project.

Mike
12-29-2005, 22:53
Is this needle close to the size I need ?

Unfortunately I am not allowed to divulge the secrets from his quilt kit. These are highly protected defacto copyrighted, patented techniques that only those who have paid money for his quilt kit are allowed to know. Come on, I cant give you this information. Do you know how many years it took Ray to figure out the right size needle to use on his quilt. Next thing you know you might be asking me if I think it is OK for you to install a beak on your homemade non-Jardine designed tarp....

peter_pan
12-30-2005, 08:20
Size 11 needles woork well for this type of project... Size 10 does well but if your experience is limited and you fight the material any, you will break a few size 10 and belows...IMHO.

Good luck on your project.

Pan

SteveK
12-30-2005, 12:09
Unfortunately I am not allowed to divulge the secrets from his quilt kit. These are highly protected defacto copyrighted, patented techniques that only those who have paid money for his quilt kit are allowed to know. Come on, I cant give you this information. Do you know how many years it took Ray to figure out the right size needle to use on his quilt. Next thing you know you might be asking me if I think it is OK for you to install a beak on your homemade non-Jardine designed tarp....

I ordered the quilt kit from Jardine. What irritates me is that Jardine supposedly won't answer any questions on his kits (except problems with orders). Evidently this is a new policy, but it's poor customer service in my opinion !

lbbrown
12-31-2005, 10:17
Steve- Congratulations on your purchase. You will greatly appreciate how detailed Rays instructions are when you are finished. It may seem frustrating at first, but take your time! Grab a beer or a cup of coffee and read the instructions. Then read them again! Lay out the material and familiarize yourself with all the components. Both of your questions are answered in the instructions. If you make a mistake while you are sewing, just use a seam ripper and take out the stitches. Take your time!! When I first started sewing I got so pissed off at the slippery material and bad stitches that I threw my $30 scissors across the room , sticking them into my wifes gym bag.You can imagine how well that went over. Once you are done with your project, you will be very proud of your accomplishment. My Mother says I sew better than my 5 sisters. So far I have sewn 2 quilts a tartptent and a backpack. Take your time and enjoy making your own stuff. MYOS!!

Youngblood
12-31-2005, 10:24
...When I first started sewing I got so pissed off at the slippery material and bad stitches that I threw my $30 scissors across the room , sticking them into my wifes gym bag. ...
I trust she wasn't holding the bag at the time.:) When I first started I made sure I had a beer before I started and one within reach at all times.