PDA

View Full Version : Packing for air travel to A.T.

TrishaU
05-07-2016, 10:38
Goal: carry-on backpack for domestic flights on the big three (American, Delta, United), traveling coach to Atlanta or Bangor. Anything sharp or flammable is shipped ahead (tent stakes, stove). A quick trip to the post office and the grocery store, then a shuttle to the Appalachian Trail. No worries about shipping the bulk of the gear separately.
The questions: My research shows that the Kelty Redwing 50 is too big for carry-on (26 x 16 x 3), but owners write that they usually are waived through, since it is a soft-sided backpack that probably will fit into the overhead bin. Should I risk the $25 check-in fee, or go with one of the smaller options (Kelty 44 or 40)? I am figuring on a total weight of 35 to 40 lbs.
Any tips from your experience taking your pack onto a plane? For instance, carrying earplugs and an inflatable neck pillow and hoping I don't get bumped from a window seat. Or wearing my heavier hiking boots in the security line, then switching footwear before boarding.
Any tips for a gate-checked backpack? Such as, having a feather-weight duffle bag for electronics and "must keep with me" gear as my personal item, and hopefully having a chance to plastic wrap the backpack, since no TSA locks will keep it secure in transit.
Thanks for letting me tap the hive mind on this.

Cheyou
05-07-2016, 13:00
I bring a nylon backpack with string shoulder straps to carry on plane stuff . I baggage check my pack. All my backpacking gear fits inside my backpack. Nothing in the outside pockets. Never lost any gear . Name tag on pack. Hope that helps.

colorado_rob
05-07-2016, 13:13
I have to ask: WHY the "big 3"? If I had to choose my least favorite airlines, I think those three would be near the top of the list.

Southwest Airlines has direct flights from OK city to Atlanta, at least (and probably direct flights to Boston, where you can catch bus to Bangor or vice-versa).

No baggage fees. No change fees. Much friendlier flight crews. It boggles my mind why people still choose to fly United, American and Delta, except for destinations where they have no choice.

Don H
05-07-2016, 13:27
What's wrong with checking the pack in as baggage?

Alaska Air lost my pack once, other than that no problems.

Venchka
05-07-2016, 13:36
35-40 POUNDS? You're going to need a better pack.
When I have flown with my backpacking gear I put the loaded pack, hiking sticks, etc. in a duffel bag. In your case shop thrift stores for a disposable duffle bag. It helps if the hip belt is removable.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Venchka
05-07-2016, 13:37
Forgot to say: in a duffle bag and check it.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Patrickjd9
05-07-2016, 13:55
The disposable/thrift shop duffle bag is a really good idea. I use an oversize duffle that the whole pack goes into for airline trips, but they are shorter trips where I or someone else has a car.

MuddyWaters
05-07-2016, 16:11
Only thing you cant take in luggage is fuel.
And most shuttlers have it to sell to people.
No need to stop anywhere.
Check pack, food and all. You can put it in duffel or wrap in heavy plastic and tape.

Feral Bill
05-07-2016, 16:33
Only thing you cant take in luggage is fuel.
And most shuttlers have it to sell to people.
No need to stop anywhere.
Check pack, food and all. You can put it in duffel or wrap in heavy plastic and tape.

Stoves, especially liquid fuel stoves, are likely to be rejected, as well.

Don H
05-07-2016, 19:45
The disposable/thrift shop duffle bag is a really good idea. I use an oversize duffle that the whole pack goes into for airline trips, but they are shorter trips where I or someone else has a car.

When I travel with Scouts to Philmont we use a cheap cloth laundry bag to put our packs in. Tie the drawstring tight and stuff it inside the bag. Some then seal the opening with duct tape as added precaution. You don't want any strings or straps hanging out to get caught in the conveyors.

Use a Marker to write your name on it to help ID it.