PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ridge Parkway 4 Day Hike Suggestions

redstart
05-07-2016, 20:52
Looking into possibly doing a 4 day hike on the AT in the Blue Ridge Parkway in mid October and would like some suggestions. I am thinking around 40 miles for the trip. I would be driving down from Chicago, so ideally would like to stay in a hostel/hotel after the drive down and then be shuttled to the start of the hike and hike back to my car. Any suggestions on start/end point, hostels/hotels, secure parking area for my car, and shuttles would be greatly appreciated!

colorado_rob
05-08-2016, 08:53
I'd personally recommend simply the very northern end of the BR parkway area, starting at Rockfish gap and heading south on the AT to a convenient road crossing 40 or so miles south. I very much enjoyed that section of the AT, in fact, recently (3 weeks ago) repeated a bit of this section. Lot of shuttle help in Waynesboro for reasonable $$$.

Venchka
05-08-2016, 09:18
Perhaps you meant 40 miles in the Blue Ridge Mountains along the Tennessee-North Carolina border?
If so, you could park at Mountain Harbor B&B/Hostel on Hwy 19E. They will shuttle you south. Hike back to the car. Spend the night. Actually, you could spend the night on both ends of the trip.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Venchka
05-08-2016, 09:19
Ps: Mid-October is peak leaf season. Rubberneckers everywhere.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

rafe
05-08-2016, 09:22
Yep, almost anywhere between Daleville and Front Royal. All good hiking. SNP and the next 100 miles or so south of there.

redstart
05-08-2016, 10:12
Thanks for suggestions! I originally was planning on hiking the stretch north of Damascus, but then realized it would be hunting season and decided to look into areas where hunting was not allowed. I'm not afraid of being shot (I know I can wear blaze orange etc.), but thought if there was alternate area without hunting I could hike there in the fall and maybe do the Damascus hike earlier next year.

I know that limits me to the national park areas, and I first looked at SNP but thought with the multiple road crossings etc. that it might not be secluded. Being peak leaf season, I know both BRP and SNP would be busier and I don't mind a few extra people. But I wasn't sure exactly how crowded the trail would get. I also would prefer not to stay at shelters if at all possible - I know SNP allows backcountry camping with a permit, but I wasn't sure about BRP.
I would appreciate hearing thoughts/suggestions on both areas.