PDA

View Full Version : Shelter setup in the rain?

Connie
05-08-2016, 22:17
What shelter, tent or tarp, have you found is the easiest setup in the rain?

What shelter, tent or tarp, have you found is the fastest setup to get yourself and your gear out of the rain?

I have heard of setting up shelter, from inside the shelter. I have done it with my tipi.

I have heard others pull inside their poncho-tarp and stake out the corners from the inside.

Do you have experience with this?

Have you done that with another tent or tarp?

Rain Man
05-08-2016, 22:26
Might be cheating, but I'm a hammocker and it's fairly easy to set up my rainfly quickly, then stand under it to get out gear, hang my hammock, change clothes, etc.

Franco
05-08-2016, 22:32
Not the fastest set up ever but it was done to show you can set up a Notch in heavy rain and keep it dry inside :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFrnmny7Ho0

The Tarptent Moment is faster and easier to do in the same condition.

franco@tarptent

Dogwood
05-08-2016, 23:45
Getting yourself and gear out of the rain while setting up the shelter is as much dependent on the user as the shelter. ie; how the user elects to erect the shelter, the process the user employs can be important. To answer the question I've liked the possible coverage of tarps whether they be shaped like a mid such as designed by Hyperlight Mountain Gear, Locus Gear, or Mountain Laurel Designs or MLD Trail Star or Six Moon Designs Deschutes or even just a flat one in the rain. I can set up from under any of these shelters minimizing the wetness. The other shelter system I like setting up in the rain because it too can be set up from under the outer rain fly is something like made by Big Agnes. Put the Fast Fly option first and then the main body underneath from underneath the rain fly.

Often I'm wet already when time to set up shelter in a downpour. The main goal for me is accessing my shelter and my ground sheet, bivy, etc from my backpack without getting everything else in the backpack drenched(pack liner, pack cover helps here) or the interior of the shelter soaked. Tarp gets unfolded, top is top, bottom is bottom, ground cloth gets partially opened, backpack goes under on the ground cloth. I go under partially removing my wettest drenched outer layers. From under I can set up without ever having to go back outside. Again, the main goal is not soaking everything.

Zero experience setting up a poncho tent while wearing it simultaneously to keep myself and pack somewhat dry in a downpour. I mentally don't see it happening for me. Haven't figured it out.

lonehiker
05-08-2016, 23:54
I used an MSR Missing Link for a couple thousand miles. Was a single wall tent and was perfect setting up in the rain. Always dry from the rain. Perhaps my all-time favorite tent. Switching back to a single wall tent after several years using double wall tent. It feels like coming home.

nsherry61
05-08-2016, 23:59
Tarp is by far the fastest, and easiest, especially in a diamod pitch tied to a tree and staked out with three stakes.
Never had to pitch my poncho when it was raining hard enough to be an issue.

Connie
05-10-2016, 11:26
Thank you.

I am adding this video, because it shows strategies for rain.

http://youtu.be/g0RwcQ6Aifw

dgoggins
05-10-2016, 12:42
Usually most any trekking pole type shelter is just as easy to setup in the rain as not in the rain....like a zpacks duplex. The interior doesn't get wet when pitching.

theoilman
05-10-2016, 16:27
I set up my Tarptent Moment in the rain and the inside stays completely dry, it is designed to be able to. It takes me about 2 minutes to get it up then me get in out of the rain.

fastfoxengineering
05-14-2016, 20:19
Another plus one to hammocking. My tarp rides in an outside pocket on my pack as well as my four tent stakes, rain jacket and small piece of tyvek. I find my trees, grab my tarp and pitch it. I then lay down my small piece of tyvek and figure out what I'm gonna do next. Sometimes I set up my hammock or sometimes I sit on my butt pad and make food.

Setting up camp in the rain definitely stinks

cmoulder
05-14-2016, 20:33
When setting up a Duomid (and other mids or tarps) in the rain, it is possible to put all gear under the mid even before the corners are staked out. After the corners are staked out just unzip the door and climb inside to erect the pole(s) and put down a ground sheet. In fact, the very first time I used my Duomid on an actual trip was Oct a couple of years ago at Judy Springs on Seneca Creek, WV. Just as I was arriving the first fat raindrops were starting to fall and I was able to stake out the corners and throw myself, pooch and gear inside just as the torrents of rain arrived. I think the pitch took maybe a little over a minute... it's amazing how much faster one can work when truly motivated! ;)

Christoph
05-15-2016, 11:11
I have a 3 pound $40 Ebay Dowson Load Mountain tent that I used on my thru attempt last year and a section this year. Takes me about 3 minutes to set up rain or shine. Inside tends to stay completely dry until I put all my stuff in there but even then, it's fairly minimal. Unfortunately there's no perfect way to keep everything dry, but I think I've minimized the process as much as I can by practice and shakedown hikes in the rain (as much fun as those are). Mainly for me it was just a mental thing. Knowing I was bound to get wet in 4-5 months of hiking made it a lot easier. Just dried it out when I could in a parking lot or wherever. I think no matter what tent or setup you have though, the best thing you can do is practice setting up in the rain and just figure things are going to get soaked from time to time.

Shrewd
05-15-2016, 12:15
I've only had to do this once, so take with a grain of salt, but I set my poles and tent fly up first, go under it, took off my pack and jacket and put me under the vestibule, then clipped the tent from inside, didn't really get wet.
I kept my fly and jacket in the outside mesh of my pack for quick access in just such an event, and it worked as I'd hoped.

I'm thinking now though that I might just keep it and the groundsheet rolled up on the outside of my pack

Greenlight
05-15-2016, 13:49
Whether you're tenting or hanging, getting your fly up first and working underneath it seems the best course of action.

I've only had to do this once, so take with a grain of salt, but I set my poles and tent fly up first, go under it, took off my pack and jacket and put me under the vestibule, then clipped the tent from inside, didn't really get wet.
I kept my fly and jacket in the outside mesh of my pack for quick access in just such an event, and it worked as I'd hoped.

I'm thinking now though that I might just keep it and the groundsheet rolled up on the outside of my pack

ChrisJackson
05-15-2016, 15:23
I agree Greenlight, I'm a hanger. Keep tarp in outside pocket. Find trees, string tarp, pull out the two middles, bam- instant shelter- probably takes 2 minutes at most. Then drop pack in the middle of the sanctuary under the tarp, rig the outer lines on the ends...take a minute to chill...rig the hammock underneath. Situate the quilts, find a "kitchen", dig a cathole..., by this time, clothes are as dry as they are gonna get. Change into PJ's...get into the hammock and chill. Make a dinner, sleep.

Franco
05-15-2016, 18:49
"Whether you're tenting or hanging, getting your fly up first and working underneath it seems the best course of action."
yes except that you can't do that with a lot of tents.

nsherry61
05-15-2016, 22:56
"Whether you're tenting or hanging, getting your fly up first and working underneath it seems the best course of action."
yes except that you can't do that with a lot of tents.
Yes, except who really cares since, even if you can't set up your fly before the rest of your tent, 60 seconds worth of rain isn't going to be a significant problem on your inner tent unless it is poring really hard, and then, you can almost always wait 5 to 15 minutes until the rain slacks off and set up in a light drizzle before the next big squall.

Or, use a tarp and end this whole debate, then crawl underneath, and watch and enjoy the storm.

Del Q
05-16-2016, 20:50
Might sound foolish but I have learned to go slower, set pack down (covered), slowly put up tent with a solid, tight pitch.........then shuttle all gear into the vestibule, slide in, leaving all wet gear in the vestibule as well.

Then begin settling in for the night.

I bring a small light shammy so I can mop up any water or wipe the floor down as needed.

I have a So Long 6, pretty easy to pitch in the rain (or snow).

12trysomething
05-17-2016, 07:59
Here is my approach. It is important to have a loading style and gear that accommodates. I hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFYadZntF00

Rex Clifton
08-27-2016, 19:44
Setting up anything on the rain is a royal pain on the ass! That said, when I take my hammock I can set the tarp up first and then the hammock and under quilt. Keeps things pretty dry. For my tent, I set up first fast fly mode (I bought the manufacturers footprint for that reason) then set the tent up. This is not an easy process, however.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

AfterParty
08-27-2016, 20:27
Marmot starlight super easy if the fly is on when I roll it up, which I will have that way for this propose. I have the 2p but I assume the 1p is the same way. Depends on you.

Leo L.
08-28-2016, 04:44
I think that you can setup pretty much any shelter in rain.
I tried this with my MSR Hubba Hubba NX, and while the guy in the shop had stated it wouldn't be possible, it worked just fine:

- select camp spot carefully
- throw out the poles and flat-layout them in full shape
- throw the rainfly atop the poles
- creep in beneath the rainfly (now you are already a bit of out of the rain, and can take your time)
- connect the rainfly to the pole's ends (the rainfly will form a flat dome, stretched by the poles, so now you have quite a shelter already and your partner, if any, can come in as well)
- get rid of your soaking-wet raingear and pack, place it under the soon-to-be vestibule
- unpack the groundsheet, spread it and connect it to the ends of the poles (from now on be very careful to keep off the clean side of the groundsheet with wet/dirty shoes and trousers)
- unpack the stakes, stake out the vestibule from inside the tent
- unpack the inner tent, connect it to the pole's ends and hook it to the arching poles
- strip off any wet and dirty clothes, slip into the inner tent, unpack pad&sleeping bag and start to feel comfortable
You may stake out the suspending lines later, when you have to make a bathroom run anyway. Most likely there will be a lull in the rain at some time later.

This had worked for me several times during my most recent trip.
There had been rain, but no or low wind only.
How to do this in rain and wind I have to work out yet.

Puddlefish
08-28-2016, 10:43
I can set up my Tarptent Notch easily in the rain, because I strap it to the outside bottom of my pack. Dump the gear in the vestibule, back into the tent, close the vestibule, take off my shoes. Easy.

My buddy got a Lightheart Solong, and it might even be easier. Stake the corners, then bring your poles with you, and climb into the tent before it's up. You can set the poles from within.

Bronk
08-28-2016, 14:43
Even if you figure out how to keep your tent completely dry while you set it up you are then going to get in it with all your gear that is already wet. If it rains, you're going to be wet. Accept that idea and you will have a good time. If you don't accept that idea you'll probably be miserable. I'd rather have an extra set of dry socks than a pair of rainpants or gaiters.

saltysack
08-28-2016, 20:46
I can set up my Tarptent Notch easily in the rain, because I strap it to the outside bottom of my pack. Dump the gear in the vestibule, back into the tent, close the vestibule, take off my shoes. Easy.

My buddy got a Lightheart Solong, and it might even be easier. Stake the corners, then bring your poles with you, and climb into the tent before it's up. You can set the poles from within.

Sure is...another plus for the Solong6...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daddytwosticks
08-29-2016, 07:15
Sure is...another plus for the Solong6...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes but when you take down these types of tents with the rain fly attached, everything gets wet when you stuff/roll the sodden bundle. Give me a shelter with the rain fly detached and the ability to set up/take down the rainfly independent of the tent inner. :)

cmoulder
08-29-2016, 07:26
Yes but when you take down these types of tents with the rain fly attached, everything gets wet when you stuff/roll the sodden bundle. Give me a shelter with the rain fly detached and the ability to set up/take down the rainfly independent of the tent inner. :)

Yes, but in agreement with Bronk above, when it's really wet and persistently so, everything is going to be wet (or pretty darn damp) anyway. Keep the sleeping bag/quilt and some sleeping clothes as dry (or least damp) as possible, make the psychological adjustment for wetness, and that's about as good as it gets.

Puddlefish
08-29-2016, 09:22

I was fortunate, in that I was on the trail at a time when there were rarely three days of rain in a row. With the notch, I didn't store the inner and outer portions separately, because for me it wasn't worth the time and the crawling around. If I were on a more remote trail, I'd probably take the extra time to keep the inner bivy dry-ish.

Generally, I had a dry tent the first night of rain, then the tent was evenly damp after getting rolled together. The second day, would often have a dry stretch where I could hang the tent up on a windy ridgeline, bald or such and dry it out. If not, then I didn't particularly mind a night or two in a damp tent.

I hit my comfort/whining limit at three nights in a wet tent, at which point I'd actively start seeking a hostel with laundry facilities. I recommend calling ahead when possible as everyone else wants to get out of the rain at this point as well.

saltysack
08-29-2016, 09:48

They all get wet!!! It gives me an excuse to stop for a nice long break mid day to air it out....[emoji38]
Just have to be careful I about lost one at Wayah bald...wind picked up and almost got away....expensive kite!

twilightzone
08-29-2016, 11:35
I thought that setting up a Tarptent Rainbow/Double Rainbow in the rain/anytime was pretty quick. 1 tent pole and 4 stakes...throw your gear in the tent then adjust as needed! :)

Skyline
08-29-2016, 16:38
Part of the key to keeping the "important stuff" dry is to not need to expose it to rain in the first place.

Toward that end, my single-wall tent and ground cloth are always packed in their own stuff sack, strapped to the rear outside of my pack which hopefully has its own pack cover on it. Tent poles and stakes are in their own narrow stuff sack, strapped securely into one of my pack's mesh side pockets (where you might otherwise keep a water bottle handy).

Upon arrival at camp while raining (unless it appears the rain may stop soon -- you may develop a sixth sense for this eventually), I take my pack off, lean it against a tree, clear a site of rocks and branches, and reach under the pack cover to retrieve the stuff sacks containing my tent and poles/stakes.

I lay out the poles first, then put down the ground cloth, and position the tent on top of that -- quickly. From there it's a minute or so for the freestanding tent to be fully erected. Inside stays relatively dry. I then stake it out until taut, and throw my pack inside. I follow quickly, take off my boots, laying them in the vestibule, and zip up the tent. I use some of those reusable blue shop towels (sold in many stores in a roll) that I carry in a ziploc in the same side pocket as the poles/stakes to sop up the majority of water that has made its way inside (you can't help it -- water will splash from your clothing and the gear -- but if you do it fast and efficiently, not enough to be a big deal).

It's good to dry off not only the tent floor but also the pack cover, rain jacket, etc. Put these in your vestibule if there's room while you continue to make camp.

Now, I have a 95% dry or barely damp tent interior, and I can unpack everything and set up my home for the night, unrushed, and unconcerned with the rain falling outside. If you are soaked, it's a great idea to change into your dry set of clothes ASAP. Don't wait until you get hypothermic.

You will need to leave your tent several times (to get water, privy, hang bear bag, etc.) until you're ready to break camp in the morning. If still raining, and if your tent's config would let rain fall in when you open the "door,", move sleeping bag and anything else important out of the way before exiting. Put on rain gear to protect your dry clothes. Sop up any mess with a shop towel when you re-enter.

Sometimes it will be an all-night rain. For this reason, I often bring something to eat that does not require cooking. Although it would "probably" be safe to cook in my vestibule, ***** happens. I know what a disaster it would be if I caught a quick-burning tent on fire.

When ready to break camp in the morning, if it is STILL raining, I sort of reverse the process. Retrieve water filter, hanging bear bag, and whatever may be outside. Pack up everything I can while inside the dry(ish) tent's interior. Pack away my dry clothes; put wet clothes from yesterday back on (ugh!). Close up the pack, put the pack cover on, put on rain gear/boots, and place the now-covered pack against a tree. Break down the tent as quickly as possible. Shake water from the tent and ground cloth, and quickly put them in their stuff sack. Fold up the poles, and put them plus stakes in their stuff sack. Reach under the pack cover to secure both stuff sacks to your pack, and I'm ready for another day of hiking.

During the day, if the sun comes out and more rain is not imminent, if I find a place with some direct sunlight, I take the opportunity to unpack nearly everything, lay it out, and let the sun dry it. This includes the wet blue shop towels. Everything but the tent should only take a few minutes. Gear will thank you, and it will last longer. The pack gets a few pounds lighter. If I will be setting up camp again tonight, having dry shop towels allows me to wipe down the tent interior when I set it up.

By keeping the wet tent on the outside of my pack, the wet tent doesn't cause everything else inside the pack to get any wetter than it otherwise did. At most, everything else should just be a little damp.

My example uses an old-style (early 00's) Eureka Zeus 2 single-wall tent, plenty of interior room, about 3 lbs. This is my second one. First one lasted about 12 years. That said, it's not for everyone; the Zeus 2 can attract condensation until you learn how to ventilate better and that can be aggravating. The shop towels work well if it does. But many other systems could benefit from the concept of keeping shelter on the outside of the pack.

RockDoc
08-29-2016, 16:42
This is one reason to have an umbrella, so your partner can cover you setting up the tent in the rain. Otherwise, work very fast!

Starchild
08-29-2016, 17:45
Usually if it is pouring rain I am already soaked so while it would be nice to get under cover to set up the tent, practically I am already soaked. Though the situation of a just starting rain may make a difference in staying dry.

The ability to keep the interior of the tent dry while setting up seems to be more of a practical consideration.

Just to add, my car camping pop-up tent (set up time less than 5 seconds of not staked, including removing it from the bag) does well in these fast set up in the rain situations. Takedown is about 30s once the tricky folding is mastered.

Franco
08-29-2016, 18:50
The advantage of integral pitch tents (like all the double wall Tarptents) is that if packing up in the rain you can pack your night stuff , then take the inner down , shove that in your pack, then get your rain gear on and with the backpack already sealed up you can then take the fly down and put that under the lid or inside an outside pocket of your backpack.
When you set it up that night (if you did not get the chance to dry the fly at lunchtime) the fly will still be wet but again you can set it up , get inside take some of your wet gear off open the pack (under cover...) get the inner out and attach that to the fly. So your fly will or could be wet but the inner will be dry.
franco @tarptent

DuneElliot
08-30-2016, 09:14
I would love to see Tarptents offered in CF as an option, even if it's not standard and a special order...I hate silnylon with a passion. A Stratospire in CF would be pretty close to my perfect tent!

soumodeler
08-30-2016, 16:26
I would love to see Tarptents offered in CF as an option, even if it's not standard and a special order...I hate silnylon with a passion. A Stratospire in CF would be pretty close to my perfect tent!

I agree! I would love a CF Notch!