PDA

View Full Version : How is the drive to the Springer Mt parking lot?

her982
05-09-2016, 14:33
TLDR: How is the drive to the Springer Mt. parking lot (dirt/gravel/paved road)?

This summer I will be somewhat near Springer Mt. for a wedding with my husband and kids, aged 3.5 and 1.5 years. We would like to visit Amicalola Falls State Park and maybe spend a night or two there. I would love to see the southern-most blaze of the AT. I grew up literally next to the trail in PA and hike this section frequently, so it would be really special and neat to see Springer Mt. However, my kids can't handle the approach trail. What is the drive to the Springer Mt. parking lot like; it is a forrest service road correct? Can a Honda Civic handle it?

Gambit McCrae
05-09-2016, 14:43
Good parking, I think its about 10 miles down gravel, but and reasonable Honda civic could make the trip fine

Ronbo17
05-09-2016, 14:46
It's a forestry service road, little bumpy in sections, but well traveled. Honda should not be a problem, just drive slow. Stop in at Amicalola, they can give you directions to the parking lot to Springer.
FYI the camp ground is decent, but check out the view at the inn!

la.lindsey
05-09-2016, 14:49
I drove it in my 2005 Toyota Corolla. I wouldn't do it regularly, but it was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FatMan
05-09-2016, 15:14
FS42 is like an interstate when it comes to forest service roads. You can make it in any sedan. Just take it easy and avoid the pot holes.

r2davis65
05-10-2016, 10:13
It wasn't bad last year and I assume it's about the same now. Drive slow and enjoy the ride. Plenty of parking.