PDA

View Full Version : I am devastated. Stuck in Altanta

katyk
05-09-2016, 19:11
I have planned this trip for 6 months. It was my 50th birthday present. I mailed my pack a week ago so I wouldn't have to deal with baggage and lost luggage. It should have arrived this past Friday but the tracking shows that it only left OKC and that's it. So here I am in a hotel room that is eating my money up with no luggage and the mail isn't delivered until 6pm so even if by some miracle it arrives tomorrow I still can't get to Springer to hike and will have to spend more money to stay another night. I am in tears and at a lost on what to do. My ticket isn't open ended so I'm not sure if I can get back with out spending more money. If I don't hike now I won't be able to do it for another year due to my husband's health. I had to move Heaven and earth in order just to get here. I needed to rant but also tell anyone reading this DON'T MAIL YOUR PACK TO ATLANTA!!!!!! This is just heart breaking:(

Secondmouse
05-09-2016, 19:21
wait, you did this because you didn't want to deal with baggage? you could have carried it on.

what did you think you were going to do with it on the trail, have it portered to the next stop?..

Greenlight
05-09-2016, 19:22
Get some crap gear in a hiker box and slack pack back to Springer to pick up your belated gear, Katy! Be an adventurous soul and don't sit there in the motel! Move! :sun You can leave instructions for the Post Office to forward your pack to another Post Office. Think creatively and hike.

katyk
05-09-2016, 19:27
It was too big to carry on and I have had luggage lost more times than I care to remember. It was suppose to be at the hotel two days before I got there. AND no I wasn't going to have it "portered" I'm not a moron. I was going to have it here and take a shuttle to the trail head. And did you miss the part where I am devastated? Snarky comments are not needed

katyk
05-09-2016, 19:31
I don't mind crap gear - anything would be great. This is however my first big hike. So where would I shuttle to? I am really game for anything. I am new to this so any helpful info would be great!!! However the post offices here suck so not sure I would receive my pack even by the end of the trail. Doesn't matter though I am game for adventure!! Thank you I will start trying to make plans.

bigcranky
05-09-2016, 19:53
Well, crap, that's awful and I'm sorry it happened to you. Do you have a tracking number? Can you at least tell that it's actually still in transit?

Ignore the total d*ck comment above. Some people have no empathy for others.

4shot
05-09-2016, 19:56
wait, you did this because you didn't want to deal with baggage? you could have carried it on.

what did you think you were going to do with it on the trail, have it portered to the next stop?..

I hate dealing with carry on. So although I have hiked in places that required flights, I don't carryon. I do not think it is unreasonable to expect luggage to show up at the same airport at the same time as the passenger. and 99%+ of the time, it does. Is it not unreasonable to have a little empathy here?

I have known several hikers to have acquired Lyme's disease on the AT. With your logic, should all hikers therefore bypass or skip any trail that has ticks?

Greenlight
05-09-2016, 19:58
Arrgh, you should have carried your AWOL guide with you. Did you mail the package general delivery? I hope you did. Can you have it forwarded to Amicalola? Someone at Springer should be willing to slack you up the trail even a few miles so that you can get some hiking in while you're waiting. If you mailed the package UPS ground, you aren't going to see an update between OKC and Atlanta, because the truck is on the road, either moving or sleeping. It'll probably be there tomorrow, but crap! I'd still be like you, itching to get started. Make a couple of contingencies. Let us know how you're doing. I want to follow your journal, now! And breathe. Breathe. It's going to get there. You're going to be fine.

P.S. You could slack the approach trail! Then hitch back to the actual AT trailhead.

saltysack
05-09-2016, 19:59
Rei rents gear in hotlanta.....or try hiker hostel they might have extra gear left behind. You don't need much gear to shelter hop...assuming the thrus have cleared out...Not to add insult to injury...this is why I ship mine a week in advance and confirm its arrival before heading out....make the best of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katyk
05-09-2016, 20:03
I have tracked it but it is still in transit. File a report I'm and am trying trying to find a way to a Walmart for some things and pick up other stuff as I go. I will be locating shuttle tomorrow and see what I can do. I am going to hike some way or another

katyk
05-09-2016, 20:04
I tried to do that but as a newbie I trusted too much. Oh well live and learn

katyk
05-09-2016, 20:07
I mailed it USPS priority but not express according to the post office. I am on Wordpress journaling. I will get to the trail tomorrow. I have my AWOL guide for Georgia. I'm looking at it now

aztarheel
05-09-2016, 20:11
Happy belated birthday and congrats on making this trip a reality!

Thanks for the warning on shipping packs to GA, your misfortune might help someone else considering the same thing to avoid a future headache.

Don't stress too much, you should be able to track it tonight/tomorrow, it will get their soon enough. On the bright side, starting mid week out of Amicalola/Springer may provide a more pleasant (aka less crowded) introduction to your hike. And if this is the worst thing that happens over the next 5 months then you've got it made!

katyk
05-09-2016, 20:14
My journal is myhikeoutofmadness.wordpress.com. I'm going to get up early and call REI then a shuttle. This will work some how

Greenlight
05-09-2016, 20:26
That's the spirit that's gonna carry you to Maine.

My journal is myhikeoutofmadness.wordpress.com. I'm going to get up early and call REI then a shuttle. This will work some how

saltysack
05-09-2016, 20:29
Is this a short section hike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egilbe
05-09-2016, 20:52
Welcome to the hiking world. You will learn to take events like this in stride and carry on. Someday you will laugh as much as I am at the snarky comments. Don't let it get you down. This is a small problem, not the end of the world.

4shot
05-09-2016, 20:56
Welcome to the hiking world. You will learn to take events like this in stride and carry on. This is a small problem, not the end of the world.

good advice here. Hiking for long distances will certainly teach you to expect the unexpected...and deal with it. as you are doing.

MuddyWaters
05-09-2016, 20:57
It will likely show up

I would not use USPS for something like that precisely because their "tracking" is really only delivery confirmation, regardless of what they call it.

Ive sent and received a lot by USPS. Everything showed up......eventually. Even when mail delivery person delivered to wrong address and caused delay.

katyk
05-09-2016, 21:03
This is only a section hike. My husband's health isn't good and it took me sometime to arrange this. I am heading to Walmart tonight or tomorrow morning and get somethings and then take a shuttle to the trail head. I and back to being excited and appreciate the advice and encouragement I hope to be back again when things with my husband get work out (hopefully)

dreamweaver21
05-09-2016, 21:35
Here is the thing. Hiking can be hard and the more you learn to adapt and roll with what happens, the better off you are. Actually that is true for a lot of life.

Sitting in a hotel room crying is not adapting, not rolling with it, and not helping at all. There will be other many other challenges along the trail and crying and self pity will not solve a single one of them.

That said, going to Walmart and getting "get by" gear is dealing with it. Calling Hiker Hostel and trying slack packing a day or two while your stuff comes is rolling with it. There are options here, none ideal, but plenty of "good enough" to get moving.

saltysack
05-09-2016, 21:46
Welcome to the hiking world. You will learn to take events like this in stride and carry on. Someday you will laugh as much as I am at the snarky comments. Don't let it get you down. This is a small problem, not the end of the world.

"Carry on" no pun intended?[emoji16]

Dogwood
05-09-2016, 22:32
To confirm you mailed it USPS Priority from OK to Atlanta? Which specific PO in Atlanta did you have it mailed to? Your last tracking # location has the pack having been checked at and left OK? If so your pack may just be temporarily shortly delayed NOT LOST. You could start a claim for both your delayed beyond reasonable mailing time and motel costs explaining your situation persistently to the USPS. It should only be about 3 maybe 4 biz days on the outside getting a properly PRIORITY mailed backpack from OK to Atlanta under normal circumstances. You could head to the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega again explaining your situation to Josh and Leigh. They MIGHT still be heading back and forth between Dahlonega and Atlanta area doing shuttles for other hikers. It might be less expensive staying at the Hiker Hostel awaiting your pack to arrive.

As so correctly stated hiking is about adapting. That reality is coming home to be visited upon you. Heck Atlanta is a great LARGE metropolitan city with infinite number of experiences to appreciate that could enrich the backpacking experience. Use your time wisely. Get out of the hotel. Wander around town. Go to Centennial park or one of the may exhibits or Botanical Gardens. Look forward to not having to haul all that stuff around with you walking around experiencing the Atlanta sights. As Steve Winwood says Roll With It…baby. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6x_bbuSc_4

JumpMaster Blaster
05-09-2016, 22:58
I have tracked it but it is still in transit. File a report I'm and am trying trying to find a way to a Walmart for some things and pick up other stuff as I go. I will be locating shuttle tomorrow and see what I can do. I am going to hike some way or another

That's the spirit! Get a pack of some kind, make arrangements to get your pack forwarded, and hike. There has to be someone out there (outfitter, shuttle service, etc) that can assist. It'll work out somehow, maybe not to the letter like you planned, but it will and you'll be better for it.

The trail provides...

shelb
05-09-2016, 23:04
I wish you the best! I also agree with everyone else.... HIKE! Do whatever you can! Any mileage is good milage!

You can do it!!

Dogwood
05-10-2016, 00:41
Rant no more. How long was your planned section hike? PM me if you're gear doesn't arrive in the next 72 hrs. It's a good chance it will though! I have a tent(no not a brand news Zpacks Hexamid!:D), possible pack(what's your height, frame size, and torso length?) , isobutane stove(MSR Pocket Rocket) and cookware(pot(Snow Peak Mini Solo), spork(GSI), etc), extra Snow Peak and MSR iso canisters, three crates of ready to go backpacking chow, and maybe some other stuff(shirts, what size are you?) to get you rollin down the trail. Don't have a sleeping bag for ya though and my size 14 trail runners wouldn't likely fit.;)

I live in Alpharetta GA about 30 mins north of downtown Atlanta less than 2 miles from Hwy 400 which you should be taking to get up to the Dahlonega/Amicalola Falls/ Springer Mt area. I'm busy this wk or I'd pick you up.

Gambit McCrae
05-10-2016, 08:55

What kind of help are you being? need a swift kick in the arse jerk

Gambit McCrae
05-10-2016, 09:01
Rant no more. How long was your planned section hike? PM me if you're gear doesn't arrive in the next 72 hrs. It's a good chance it will though! I have a tent(no not a brand news Zpacks Hexamid!:D), possible pack(what's your height, frame size, and torso length?) , isobutane stove(MSR Pocket Rocket) and cookware(pot(Snow Peak Mini Solo), spork(GSI), etc), extra Snow Peak and MSR iso canisters, three crates of ready to go backpacking chow, and maybe some other stuff(shirts, what size are you?) to get you rollin down the trail. Don't have a sleeping bag for ya though and my size 14 trail runners wouldn't likely fit.;)

I live in Alpharetta GA about 30 mins north of downtown Atlanta less than 2 miles from Hwy 400 which you should be taking to get up to the Dahlonega/Amicalola Falls/ Springer Mt area. I'm busy this wk or I'd pick you up.

Katy how long is your hike? Hopefully a bit longer then a week as your trip could still be salvaged. Dogwood is a much greater bit closer to you then I am, but all the same lets see what we can do. To get you started, Call Ron Brown- 706-669-0919 He can get you CLOSE to the trail asap. Also contact Top of Georgia, they have used gear for sale at woody gap and Dicks Creek. At the least, you could use these guys for a shuttle, and slack pack the sections of GA. Ron Brown is running to ATL many times a week and when your pack arrives perhaps he could pick it up and connect it to you? Like I said, hopefully your trip is a 2 weeks or more and this is just a hickup

Greenlight
05-10-2016, 09:05
//What kind of help are you being? need a swift kick in the arse jerk//

Bwahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg7X5_K7LhE

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg7X5_K7LhE)

greenpete
05-10-2016, 09:50

I'm on WordPress too. I'll check out your blog.

How far are you hiking? I did Georgia a few years ago and know some cool spots where you can sit, reflect, and get good peace of mind. Best of luck to you.

Hoofit
05-10-2016, 13:11
[QUOTE=Greenlight;2065922]//What kind of help are you being? need a swift kick in the arse jerk//

Bwahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg7X5_K7LhE

Ha Ha! Love it, katlyn, take it easy girl, all will work out for you in the end , one day at a time.....enjoy your hike and all the best to you !

Hoofit
05-10-2016, 13:16
It's Katyk I guess, got your name wrong,darned spellcheck!, sorry about that...

Don't give the "mouse" a second thought.....they'll be plenty more of them in the shelters!

katyk
05-10-2016, 13:39
Just an update... Taking bus to Gainsville at 4. Going try and make contact with a hostel or hotel between now and then. If you have any suggestions they would be appreciated!

Gambit McCrae
05-10-2016, 13:54
Just an update... Taking bus to Gainsville at 4. Going try and make contact with a hostel or hotel between now and then. If you have any suggestions they would be appreciated!

What length hike are you planning to do originally? If you stay at some hostels, and day hike your trip, you could make up your miles, and still have the same hiker environment hanging out at different hostels. Dahlonega, Top Of Georgia, Helen.. Can't wait to hear how your trip turns out!

katyk
03-04-2017, 18:33
Friends,

After reading this from last year, I am grateful for all the advice. I made it to the trail and hiked 32 miles before I had to leave. It was an eye opener but FUN! I am planning to continue my hike this year around the same time and this time, I will check my backpack.

gracebowen
03-04-2017, 18:56
You could still mail it just way earlier.

bigcranky
03-04-2017, 19:09
Did you ever get reunited with your pack?

dcdennis
03-06-2017, 08:13
You took a flight somewhere and mailed a pack ahead for a 32 mile hike? Not sure if crazy or dedicated....

Wowbot
03-06-2017, 09:30
Did you ever get reunited with your pack?

Yes she got it back the next day at noon. An interesting fact is that she did not fly from Oklahoma to Atlanta, she rode a Lyft driver to Greyhound station in Oklahoma and rode that to Gainsville, GA. This is all explained in her blog post that she listed as myhikeoutofmadness.wordpress.com. I think everyone was assuming she flew on an airplane to Georgia.

Evidently, she got her pack back from US mail around noon on May 10. She posted pictures of how the US postal service destroyed her box, but she stated all her items made it and no items were lost. I have lost confidence in US mail, UPS or FEDEX it is for me. She posted all of this on her blog site that she listed in one of her posts. She has a picture of herself signing the Springer Mountain log book on May 11. What is interesting is that during her short section hike, she repeatedly goes back to Hiker Hostel in Georgia. Not sure if she was slack packing or just taking zeros in Hiker Hostel.

I found reading her blog pretty educational. Especially the pictures and comments of the Hiker Hostel. Looks like a pretty nice place to stay for a zero. Now Hiker Hostel is on my list.

I am also puzzled like the other poster of why she rode the Greyhound bus from her home in Oklahoma to Gainsville, GA and ships her backpack by airmail. Does Greyhound really not allow a backpack on board the bus as hand carry in the overhead bin? She states that it was too big for carry on. But me personally, I would check the backpack in the luggage compartment below if I was riding Greyhound. She says that they have lost her luggage before, that is easily remedied by getting off the bus and watching what the driver and other passengers do to her bag. At each stop, if the driver gets off and opens the luggage bin, get off as well and stretch your legs while watching your bag in the baggage compartment.

gracebowen
03-06-2017, 10:05
When you take a greyhound you have to move your bag everytime you change busses. Sometimes its at 2 or 3 am. Im considering mailing my bag for this very reason.

gracebowen
03-06-2017, 10:06
Oh and wobut if she gets out at each stop when is she supposed to sleep.

theory
03-06-2017, 10:11
Thanks for the advice, I would be scared to mail my pack anywhere with what it cost me and how long it would take to replace everything. Just mail unimportant stuff that you may not be able to bring on the plane next time like things you can easily replace if they get lost. Just my thoughts! My pack goes everywhere I go not leaving it behind, treat it like a child.

kf1wv
03-06-2017, 10:44
Thanks for the advice, I would be scared to mail my pack anywhere with what it cost me and how long it would take to replace everything. Just mail unimportant stuff that you may not be able to bring on the plane next time like things you can easily replace if they get lost. Just my thoughts! My pack goes everywhere I go not leaving it behind, treat it like a child.

For hiking trips that include bus transportation, I stow my pack inside a cheap duffle bag to protect it from mishandling and (perhaps unwelcome) attention.

Starchild
03-06-2017, 11:59
Also IDK if this was already said but you could have USPS forward your pack, so you didn't have to stick around and wait in Atlanta, but have it sent to a Hostel, PO or outfitter or anyone else who could accept it.

Feral Bill
03-06-2017, 12:32
When you take a greyhound you have to move your bag everytime you change busses. Sometimes its at 2 or 3 am. Im considering mailing my bag for this very reason.
Please don't take Greyhound. When something goes wrong they have the worst customer service imaginable. You deserve better.

Berserker
03-06-2017, 13:15
Friends,

After reading this from last year, I am grateful for all the advice. I made it to the trail and hiked 32 miles before I had to leave. It was an eye opener but FUN! I am planning to continue my hike this year around the same time and this time, I will check my backpack.
Nice to see a follow-up on how things went, hopefully your trip this year will go much smoother. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that you can pack your stuff in a big duffel bag (or something similar) and check that if you are flying. Then you can mail the duffel bag ahead to your end point. I did this when I did the JMT, and it worked great.

HooKooDooKu
03-06-2017, 14:22
When I flew to CA to hike the JMT, I checked my backpack, simply stuffed in a 'disposable' duffel bag I got at the thrift store. But my travel plans were such that I flew on Saturday, took the Train/bus to Yosemite Sunday, and started hiking Monday. That way, I had a buffer built into my travel plans had my luggage gotten lost.

For the return trip, I bought a roll of Saran Wrap and simply rolled by pack into a neat package that still allowed TSA access from the top, and kept all the straps safely secured for the trips along the conveyor belts.

bigcranky
03-06-2017, 15:13
Yeah, I assumed she flew, too. Glad she finally got reunited with the pack.

I've stayed at the Hiker Hostel several times and enjoyed it.

katyk
03-06-2017, 17:19
I have bought a duffle already. Used it coming back from last year. Needless to say I have learned a lot since then and look forward to learning more on the trail this year

katyk
03-06-2017, 17:21
I thought about UPS and haven't decided whether i will use it or not

llittle_llama
03-10-2017, 13:56
Ao trying again this year? Glad to see you're giving it another stab!!!

George
03-11-2017, 16:59
, I bought a roll of Saran Wrap and simply rolled by pack into a neat package that still allowed TSA access from the top, and kept all the straps safely secured for the trips along the conveyor belts.

that is a great tip - should be an "edited" tip sticky section for items like this without wading through loads of posts