PDA

View Full Version : I70 foot birdge to Harpers Ferry

FiftyNine
05-10-2016, 08:33
Planning to do a hike from the I70 footbridge to Harpers Ferry with my daughter. I want to test out some equipment for thru hike I'm planning for 2017. I hear this section would be easy for my daughter. Does anyone know a good place to park for a few days and shuttle service that will take me to the footbridge from Harpers Ferry. I'm looking to leave on May 18th and take 2 nights and three days.

Greenlight
05-10-2016, 08:44
There's a huge parking lot near the foot bridge, right past the intersection of Canada Hill Road on the National Pike (I-40) I-40 crosses I-70 right there near the footbridge. I only hiked to Dahlgren Backpacker's Camp by the Old South Mountain Inn and then backtracked, but as you know Harpers Ferry is an important and traveled section of the AT. It shouldn't be difficult to pre-arrange a ride back to your car, or find one once you get there.

FiftyNine
05-10-2016, 09:25
I was actually thinking of driving to Harpers Ferry and taking a shuttle from there to the foot bridge and walking back. Either way would work.. We are driving from Ohio which is a 5-6 hour drive before we start our hike. Most likely easier to park at the I70 trail head and find transportation back. We are planning on staying at Dahlgren Backpackers camp the first night, then Hike to Ed Garvey Shelter the next day. The third day go into Harpers Ferry.

Ktaadn
05-10-2016, 10:16
This website is great. I parked at the Visitor Center for a weekend several years ago. Didn't have any issues.

http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/

Ktaadn
05-10-2016, 10:17
I should have mentioned that I have also parked at the I-70 footbridge. Easy to find and again, I didn't have any problems.

Kaptainkriz
05-10-2016, 18:29
I-70 parking can get wicked crowded at times, especially this time of year on weekends. Extended parking in the harpers main lot is safe and allowed for a few days. There is a form for long term parking on the Harpers Ferry website. Fill it out and present it to the gate guard when you get there. They will have you park in a section of the lot that is patrolled often. Free bus gets you to "downtown". I dont know how to shuttle yet so can't help there. Hiking in either direction is very nice and enjoyable especially for beginners. I've got a bunch of mediocre videos of that section of the trail on my youtube channel.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdxYynz7DmRoLfGNWYRI5wsvPi-WJ_OIa

Kaptainkriz
05-10-2016, 18:41
Link to form:
https://www.nps.gov/hafe/planyourvisit/upload/Request-for-Overnight-Parking.pdf

Studlintsean
05-11-2016, 00:43
I have left a car at the train station for a small fee a few times. Contact Teahorse Hostel for a shuttle and questions regarding parking. I have used "Ken" from the ATC shuttle list twice also. Interesting fellar but great guy.

JLorenzo77
05-16-2016, 09:59
I've parked all over the place in Maryland. I really like the parking on alternate 40 right by the Old South Mountain Inn. In fact, I am doing a day hike from there to HF this Friday. Washington Monument SP has hiker parking but it is gated and closes at sunset. I prefer un-gated parking lots so I don't have the stress of getting back there by sunset.