PDA

View Full Version : How can I give back to the trail?

RITBlake
12-30-2005, 01:16
I've been thinking about my thru hike a lot lately and I really want to give something back to the trail. I would be happy to do trail maintainence but I live in upstate NY and it would be impossible, esp in the spring and summer when my schedule is the most jammed.

So I guess what I'm asking is, what other ways can I give back? I can't really afford to make any $ contributions but I would love to do SOMETHING.

I guess my only contribution to date was fixing the computer at Miss Janets house while on my thru hike. It was an interesting work for stay and I was happy to get back online.

Anyone have any suggestions??

Dances with Mice
12-30-2005, 01:29
I've been thinking about my thru hike a lot lately and I really want to give something back to the trail. I would be happy to do trail maintainence but I live in upstate NY and it would be impossible, esp in the spring and summer when my schedule is the most jammed.

So I guess what I'm asking is, what other ways can I give back? I can't really afford to make any $ contributions but I would love to do SOMETHING.

I guess my only contribution to date was fixing the computer at Miss Janets house while on my thru hike. It was an interesting work for stay and I was happy to get back online.

Anyone have any suggestions??http://www.nynjtc.org/volunteers/voffice.html
Check out other "Opportunities" in the left hand column. Not all the work that needs to be done involves Pulaskis.

RITBlake
12-30-2005, 02:06
Pulaskis.

not sure what this means lol

Dances with Mice
12-30-2005, 02:30
not sure what this means lolOh, don't worry. If you ever get a chance to do trail maintenance, you will meet Mr. Pulaski's fine invention.

And Mr. Macleod's. And Mr. Adze's. And learn that a rock bar doesn't play music or serve drinks.

http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_building/itn_12_3_tools.html

TooTall
12-30-2005, 02:32
not sure what this means lol

A Pulaski is a long handled tool with one end an axe blade and the other a hoe blade (http://www.americantrails.org/resources/info/tools5.html). It's used to clear and break new trail.

You might consider volunteering as a trail corridor monitor. It only takes a couple days a year to walk the corridor. You locate survey markers, repaint yellow survey tree blazes, clear a line of sight along the boundary and report any incursions from the trail's neighbors. It's off trail bushwacking that requires maps and some compass work so it's also interesting hiking.

Too Tall Paul

Lilred
12-30-2005, 10:15
Does it have to be the AT? There are some great trails in upstate NY that could use volunteers I'm sure. How bout the one that goes by the finger lakes, or in the Adirondacks. Don't know the specific trail names. You may find a huge need right in your own backyard, so to speak.

weary
12-30-2005, 11:06
...So I guess what I'm asking is, what other ways can I give back? I can't really afford to make any $ contributions but I would love to do SOMETHING. ....
I hear the "can't afford" excuse a lot. And I know it is occasionally true. But most of us have an occasional luxury that we could -- and maybe should -- give up.

My retirement income is skimpy by even hiker standards, but since helping to found the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust and becoming active in my town land trust, I've been surprised at how much money I've been able to contribute. There is nothing like asking others to contribute to make you think seriously about your own contributions.

Nor are huge sums necessary. Among the things people with big money to contribute look for is evidence of broad support from the hiking public. They are as impressed with the number of contributions as they are to the amount of contributions.

Anyway. I spent last evening with the Maine Appalachian Trail Club's Redington Mountain Committee discussing strategies for defeating a proposed industrial energy complex 3,000 feet from the AT in the Saddleback to Crocker section of Maine. It became obvious that we need at least $75,000 to hire lawyers and technical experts to mount a reasonable defense of the trail. WE have $50,000 in hand. The remaining $25,000 could come from 25 $1,000 contributions or a thousand $25 contributions. Or any combination, thereof.

Is there anyone on White Blaze that believes in their heart of hearts that they couldn't eak out $25 between now and when the hearings start, probably sometime late winter or early spring?

Weary www.matlt.org

MOWGLI
12-30-2005, 11:22
I second Lilredmg's thoughts. Being a life long New Yorker until '03, I am familiar with lots of trails in New York. The Adirondack Mountain Club (http://www.adk.org/)(ADK) maintains hundreds of miles of trails in the 'Dacks, the New York New Jersey Trail Conference (http://www.nynjtc.org/)maintains loads of trails in the Shawangunks, Catskills, and the AT in New York. They will also host the next ATC Biennial Meeting in July '07. They are forming a conference committee right now, but I suspect you'll need to be a member before you can participate on the committee. That's pretty standard.

The North Country National Scenic Trail (http://www.northcountrytrail.org/)traverses a good part of the state. You wouldn't go wrong helping any of those efforts.

BTW, although in no position to do so, I gave Weary's MATLT a small contribution last week. I encourage everyone here to do the same, even if it means rolling your pennies.

Footslogger
12-30-2005, 12:01
You're listed as living in Connecticut so there's most likely a local trail club that would appreciate a hand.

Also ...if time permits you can drop down to Trail Days in May and sign up for trail maintenance with Bob Peoples out of Kincora Hostel.

'Slogger

MOWGLI
12-30-2005, 12:31
You're listed as living in Connecticut so there's most likely a local trail club that would appreciate a hand.

RITBlake = Rochester Institute of Technology (I believe), which happens to be a good long way from most long trails excepting the NCT, which runs through Allegheny State Park. The Finger Lakes Trail is also south of Rochester.

RITBlake
12-30-2005, 14:06
Sorry for the confusion. I live in Connecticut and I go to school at RIT in Rochester, NY (you got it Mowgli) I hadn't though about giving time to another trail, there are bunch up here, esp in the finger lake area. I will look in to. Maybe I can get a week off this summer and come down and do some trail work. Lots of great suggestions in here, thanks guys

Mags
01-02-2006, 13:15
RITBlake = Rochester Institute of Technology (I believe), which happens to be a good long way from most long trails excepting the NCT, which runs through Allegheny State Park. The Finger Lakes Trail is also south of Rochester.

Most towns though have the equivalent of an open space board with some local trails. Even the local trails has some trail work that has to be done. Could be a good thing to do.

Spirit Walker
01-02-2006, 17:15
If you have weekends off, there are lots of trail organizations that can use your help. We travel four to six hours to do trail work in PA - and we aren't the only ones willing to drive a good distance to give back to the trail. We also help out at some of the more local parks when they have problems (ice storms, hurricane damage, etc.) If nothing else, when you go hiking, do some clearing as you walk. I am always astonished at home many people step over tripping branches that can be easily moved aside. You may also want to get involved in local conservation efforts.

jlb2012
01-02-2006, 18:29
one idea that came to me is to work the political angle - write letters to your representives (state and federal) indicating your support of national/local trails and requesting that your representives support the efforts of the trail organizations - also work with local organizations to get other people to push the political angle also

A-Train
01-03-2006, 20:38
I like the ideas of doing trail work and becoming a member of a trail club (its only like 30 bucks a year, thats nothing). but another idea is to help future hikers with their thru-hike. Obviously you're here, so you've probably offered advice online, but you can offer to help future hikers plan their trips, by email, over the phone, or in person. Offer to be someones contact person for sending maildrops, or transcribe a journal on trailjournals.com. Often people will post looking for assistance. Just an idea..

Doing trail magic isn't as helpful as people think usually..