PDA

View Full Version : Southern/central VA AT trail head recommendations for 3 day hike

Ccm12
05-10-2016, 20:55
A long time friend and I are planning on meeting up in mid VA (exactly halfway drive for both of us) and do a 2 night, 3 day AT hike. We are estimating we could do about 20-25 miles in this time. We are having a difficult time though gathering information on good places to start and end our hike that will provide assurances of camping areas and water holes along the way. I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had recommendations for good trail heads in the Roanoke/Blacksburg area that might suit our needs. We will have two vehicles so need for shuttles. We can handle easy to hard hikes. Also are there any trail guides or books you would recommend? We would like to only hike the AT. Appreciate any help!!

Studlintsean
05-11-2016, 00:29
Get "The AT Guide" by David AWOL Miller. Look into hiking VA triple crown (Daleville area).

Diamondlil
05-11-2016, 07:56
May I suggest, try one of the outdoor stores like REI they carry pocket guides of trail sections numbered.
6-11 cover the Virginia section of the AT. Find the section you're interested in. They show trail heads, shelters, mileage and elevation. Also parking availability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pastor Bryon
05-11-2016, 08:24
My daughter and I did Catawba area to Daleville last year, 26 miles over 3 days. You get Mcafee and Tinker Cliffs in this stretch. Pretty straightforward, so you don't need a lot of books with you. Three Ridges loop also a great option.

johnnybgood
05-11-2016, 13:28
Buena Vista, Rt.60 to Spy Rock is a scenic 27 mile section . Park a car at Long Mtn. Wayside at Rt60 and the other at Fish Hatchery(Spy Rock) Road near Montebello. The blue blaze to Spy Rock is just beyond the Spy Rock Rd/AT trail connection.

Hikingjim
05-11-2016, 15:29
I second the rt 60 to spy rock as a good option. Cole mountain and spy rock are both very nice
You would also have the option of hiking in the 6.3 miles to hog camp gap and going to the three springs hostel if you wanted to ease into it or arrived later!

I would not recommend the mcafee/tinker section right now because of bear issues at the shelters there. If you don't want to do high miles, it's hard to avoid the problems shelters (lambert meadows particularly, but they're around there at the other shelters too recently)

Ccm12
05-11-2016, 18:41
Many thanks. Just ordered the book.

Ccm12
05-11-2016, 18:42
Awesome.....appreciate this lead.....will check it out.

May I suggest, try one of the outdoor stores like REI they carry pocket guides of trail sections numbered.
6-11 cover the Virginia section of the AT. Find the section you're interested in. They show trail heads, shelters, mileage and elevation. Also parking availability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk