PDA

View Full Version : How can I give back to the trail?

RITBlake
12-30-2005, 01:17
I've been thinking about my thru hike a lot lately and I really want to give something back to the trail. I would be happy to do trail maintainence but I live in upstate NY and it would be impossible, esp in the spring and summer when my schedule is the most jammed.

So I guess what I'm asking is, what other ways can I give back? I can't really afford to make any $ contributions but I would love to do SOMETHING.

I guess my only contribution to date was fixing the computer at Miss Janets house while on my thru hike. It was an interesting work for stay and I was happy to get her back online.

Anyone have any suggestions??

Sly
12-30-2005, 02:20
Well, being away from the trail and not being able to monetarily donate leaves few options. I realize your schedule may be jammed but perhaps you could think about doing a week or two next summer on one of the ATC trail crews. The Long Trail Patrol co-sponsors one. The Smokie Mnt Club goes until late Oct. And there's IT and communications....

For more info...

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.831045/k.9DEA/Become_an_AT_Hero/apps/ka/ct/contactus.asp?c=jkLXJ8MQKtH&b=831045&en=btJQI1PDIiL1K4PDIbLSJ2MEJbKNJaPPIbLQK5PJKeIYLiO 2H

Sly
12-30-2005, 02:28
BTW, If you do find the time to give back, it will make your hike all that more meaningful.

RITBlake
12-30-2005, 02:28
sorry, double post, not sure why

Big Daddy D
12-30-2005, 05:35
RITBlake etal,

Just do what I did-clean as you go.

Since you live in NY, you could put a pair of gloves, a bow saw, pruners, and trash bags on your pack and just go hike a day hike or a short trek or even just drive to and clean up a parking area. Don't wait for some "official" trail gang deal since your time is limited.

I could not even count all the logs, trash, bottles, and rocks I picked up and shelters I cleaned during my thru this year.
So go for it and thanks in advance!
Great hiking in the future,
Big Daddy D

Peaks
12-30-2005, 09:47
There are all types of ways to give back after a thru-hike.

Financially, join the ATC. And then join a local maintaining club also. The maintaining clubs can always use a financial contribution.

Other than that, or more importantly, volunteer your time. If you are not close to the AT, then consider joining one of their weekly volunteer trail crews.

Or support a trail club that is in your area. If you are in upstate NY, how about the ADK? There are some trail that need a lot of work! Or the Finger Lakes Trail.

Not big on trail maintenance? Then get involved with other trail organizations such as ALDHA.

gsingjane
12-30-2005, 10:22
You can also get involved with your local AMC and give back by donating your cyber services. I monitor an email link for our chapter's newsletter and have also helped edit articles. Admittedly it is not as fun as doing trail maintenance but all these groups are so desperately in need of volunteer TIME as well as money. You could also think about becoming an AMC hike leader and helping introduce others in your area to the joys of hiking.

Have fun!

Jane in CT

icemanat95
12-30-2005, 10:32
First off, if you aren't a member of the ATC alreasdy, join. It's not expensive and numbers give the ATC more clout when they talk to government agencies and representatives.

Second: ATC members receive occasional solicitations from the organization for supplemental funding for land purchases or to support legislative or lobbying efforts. Donating a month's pizza and beer money to one of these efforts every once in a while is one way to go.

I mean seriously, how many of us will spend 10-20 bucks a week on pizza, beer, video rentals, junk food or designer coffees? If we cut back on those expenditures to make 5 or 10 dollars a week available to give to trail protection, it'll make a pretty big dent. Figure just 5 bucks a week set aside, 52 weeks in a year, that's 260 bucks a year donated per person who bothers. If 1,000 people do that you've got 260,000 dollars in the kitty to help buy lands or pay for important lobbying efforts, fund trail maintenance crews, etc. If you can afford to do a little more, do that. It doesn't have to take the form of some grand gesture, incremental support is useful as well. Or get more local, the MATC has some good projects ongoing that could use some support, focus your giving there to support their efforts to protect and expand the protective corridor around the Trail in Maine. At least two board members from MATC are active on this forum and aren't about to waste your money.

Even 5 bucks here or there is going to be appreciated, so do what you can.

TJ aka Teej
12-30-2005, 10:47
So I guess what I'm asking is, what other ways can I give back?

What a super question! Stay a member of the community. Try to get to a Ruck or Gathering, and stay connected via the 'net. Put on an AT talk at your school, the local outfitter, or your old high school. You might inspire another hiker, and there's nothing that tops that. Write an article for WhiteBlaze about southbounding. (It's amazing how little MEGA planning info there is out there. I recently posted a ? about late season changes to resupply and hostel options for sobos and got back only a few general responses.) I remember when you started posting questions here before your hike - if you could put something together about what you've learned that'd be great! Look for chances to share what you've learned with the '06 sobos who've been posting here for months, many of whom followed your journal.

RITBlake
12-30-2005, 14:08
RITBlake etal,

Just do what I did-clean as you go.

Big Daddy D

Not sure if you remember, we met back in Gorham at the hikers paradise place, thanks for the advice, not a bad idea

Blake

RITBlake
12-30-2005, 14:12
Lots of great advice in there guys. I wil have to figure something out. I could def do something over the computer, I will look in to that today. I will also look in to the hiking clubs/trails up here in my area. Lots of great ideas to explore, thanks

Hey TJ did you think we were gonna make it???

TJ aka Teej
12-30-2005, 17:18
Hey TJ did you think we were gonna make it???

I *always* think the sobos we see at Baxter are going to make it! :D
You two were the first MEGAs to hike the Hunt Trail down from Baxter Peak this year, and when we met at the campground* it was fun to see your enthusiasm and optimism. But I also remember seeing you guys a day or two later somewhere down the Trail and you both looked a bit sore but sounded pretty determined. That's when I knew you'd do OK.

*proof once again that "it's a long trail, but a small world"!

Mags
01-02-2006, 13:03
Big Daddy D

Not sure if you remember, we met back in Gorham at the hikers paradise place, thanks for the advice, not a bad idea

Blake

That is an excellent idea! Think I may steal it and organize a "trail cleanup hike" come early spring.

The Scribe
01-02-2006, 13:06
There are a lot of things you can do to give back even if you can't get to the trail easily or have a lot of money to give.

As a member of MATC in Maine, they are always looking for help in running the organization. Committees, etc. Get involved in their organization and what they need done that you are good at. Marketing, writing, campaigning, geek work, etc.

The Scribe.