PDA

View Full Version : Friday the 13th

rocketsocks
05-10-2016, 23:57
Friday the 13th is upon us once again, and this time Jason Vorhees is pissed, it seems he's been forgotten, so a geography lesson is in order. The movie Friday the 13th took place at "camp crystal lake" (which is really 'sand pond' in northern NJ) and sand pond is at camp Nobe-Scobo where the movie was filmed and still operates today but a stones throw off the Appalachian Trail. Trivia or trivial, you decide, just remember while hiking in the woods this weekend to look over your shoulder while passing near nobe-scobo. Happy hiking! ;)

rocketsocks
05-11-2016, 00:02
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/webkit-fake-url://f22d1d42-d0a7-40f0-97a2-d7126bee5d5a/imagejpeg

dudeijuststarted
05-11-2016, 01:50
Man! Why is this not in the guidebooks!?

runt13
05-11-2016, 07:35
Opening scene filmed in Blairstown along main street!
RUNT ''13''

show me the monkey
05-11-2016, 08:39
No-Be-Bo-Sco stands for "North Bergen Boy Scouts" and can be reached from the Brink Road Shelter going south on the access road.

rocketsocks
05-11-2016, 11:33
No-Be-Bo-Sco stands for "North Bergen Boy Scouts" and can be reached from the Brink Road Shelter going south on the access road.didnt know that, and thanks for fixin' my lydexic verbiage, I must have looked at that 3 times and still muffed it.

rocketsocks
05-11-2016, 11:54
I'm curious if any of you old time hikers remember when this was filmed and if there was a buzz along the trail?

Ktaadn
05-11-2016, 12:49
I'm more of a Blair Witch fan.

rocketsocks
05-13-2016, 00:23
I'm more of a Blair Witch fan.pretty darn good movie for the budget.

Old Grouse
05-13-2016, 06:23
pretty darn good movie for the budget.
Disagree. I remember walking out of the theater wanting my money back.

rocketsocks
05-13-2016, 06:26
Disagree. I remember walking out of the theater wanting my money back.
oh the horror. I thought the sequel blew, but then most sequels do...felt "The Godfather 2" that was awesome!

rocketsocks
05-13-2016, 06:38
History of Friday the 13thThe superstition around this day is thought to have come about during the Middle Ages, and may have Biblical origins.

Some historians have claimed it was the day on which Eve bit the apple from the Tree of Knowledge, the great flood began and the builders of the Tower of Babel.
In the New Testament there were 13 people present for Jesus's last supper on Maundy Thursday, the day before Christ's crucifixion on Good Friday.
Geoffrey Chaucer made reference to the apparent unluckiness of the day, recording in his Canterbury Tales that it was bad luck to start a journey or a project on a Friday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2016/05/06/templar-medium_trans++fTCWBQ5pcVqNtVYH0DiOsg-ud4CSoy-yLCJBNTKgJQg.jpgOne of the Knights Templar CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

On Friday October 13th 1307 Philip IV of France arrested hundreds of the Knights Templar.
In his novel Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown cites the 14th century execution of Templar Grand Master Jacques de Molay, which took place on Friday the 13th. He cursed the Pope and the King of France, and this spread misfortune down the ages.
It is also possible that the publication in 1907 of Thomas W. Lawson's popular novel Friday, the Thirteenth played a part in disseminating the superstition. In the novel, an unscrupulous stock broker takes advantage of the superstition to create a Wall Street panic on a Friday the 13th.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2016/05/06/%C3%9Altima_Cena_-_Da_Vinci_5-large_trans++tR1WRZ4lb6BOb1-FBRpn-gIbjrdNMGrwZGMfsVweghU.jpgThe Last Supper by Leonardo Da Vinci

A numbers gameThe number 13 has been considered unlucky for many years, even before Christ. The number 12 is historically considered the number of completeness, while its older cousin, 13, has been seen as an outlier.
There are 12 months of the year, 12 gods of Olympus, 12 hours of the clock, 12 tribes of Israel, 12 Apostles of Jesus, 12 Descendants of Muhammad Imams, among many incidences of the pattern historically.
In many Western countries tall buildings are missing the 13th floor. In China the fourth floor and in some cases all floors with the number four are left out of Chinese buildings.
Houses often do not have a number 13, and many hotels, including the Carlton in London, miss out a thirteenth floor.
It is considered very unlucky for thirteen people to dine together, and the first to rise will reach serious misfortune - a superstition upheld by US President Roosevelt. He also refused to travel on Friday the 13th.
Paranoid BritonsIn Somerset, it is said that whoever turns a bed on a Friday turns ships at sea. In Cumbria, babies born on a Friday were laid on the family Bible.
In some areas, calling a doctor for the first time on a Friday is a certain omen of death.
Cutting hair and nails on a Friday is a certain path to misfortune, and many couples will refrain from marrying on a Friday.
Dr Caroline Watt of the University of Edinburgh says that it is the belief in the Friday 13th superstition that could, in fact, prove the greatest risk to the average person:
“If people believe in the superstition of Friday the 13th then they believe they are in greater danger on that day. As a result they may be more anxious and distracted and this could lead to accidents. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
“It is like telling someone they are cursed. If they believe they are then they will worry, their blood pressure will go up and they put themselves at risk.”
The fear of Friday the 13th has a nameParaskevidekatriaphobia - from the Greek words paraskeví (meaning 'Friday'), and dekatreís (meaning 'thirteen'). The fear of the number 13 itself is called triskaidekaphobia.

rocketsocks
05-13-2016, 06:46
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/06/friday-the-13th-how-did-it-come-about-and-why-are-we-afraid-of-i/

Venchka
05-13-2016, 22:34
I'm a "Meatballs" fan myself.
"It just doesn't matter"

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

rocketsocks
10-27-2016, 20:40
Boo!!!!!!!!!!!

ny breakfast
11-11-2016, 18:28
AAAH!!!!!! you got me

rocketsocks
11-11-2016, 18:30
AAAH!!!!!! you got me You'll have that!

rocketsocks
01-13-2017, 22:19
Boo! Anyone hiking this weekend.

Engine
01-14-2017, 06:35
Boo! Anyone hiking this weekend.

Headed out Sunday for a stretch of the FT...highs in the 70's, lows in the 50's...;)

rocketsocks
01-14-2017, 09:24
Headed out Sunday for a stretch of the FT...highs in the 70's, lows in the 50's...;)
Excellent, big foot country, have a great hike!

runt13
01-14-2017, 10:57
I have stayed at the camp several times when in the Scouts. Have also ate at the restaurant in Blairstown many times. And oddly enough I have a uncle Jason Voorhees. Oh yea I was also born on Halloween. Have the number ''13'' tattooed on my legs. No ''BS''

RUNT ''13''

rocketsocks
01-14-2017, 11:59
I have stayed at the camp several times when in the Scouts. Have also ate at the restaurant in Blairstown many times. And oddly enough I have a uncle Jason Voorhees. Oh yea I was also born on Halloween. Have the number ''13'' tattooed on my legs. No ''BS''

RUNT ''13''okay you win! :D

zephyr1034
05-21-2017, 01:27
I'm more of a Blair Witch fan.

A few years ago, when visiting my old stomping grounds in Maryland, I took a very short hike out of Gathland State Park: a side trail north to the shelter, up the access trail to the AT and back to the car on the AT. Any Blair Witch fan knows that part of the film was made in Burkittsville, just down the mountain from Gathland to the east. I'm not superstitious, but it felt a little eerie walking along there.

The movie developed a cult following, and for a while, they were a real nuisance to the residents of Burkittsville. "No Trespassing" signs sprouted around town like dandelions, and there were more problems at the cemetery than anywhere else. The "Welcome to Burkittsville" sign on the highway was stolen so many times that I think they quit replacing it.

DapperD
05-21-2017, 21:45
Friday the 13th is upon us once again, and this time Jason Vorhees is pissed, it seems he's been forgotten, so a geography lesson is in order. The movie Friday the 13th took place at "camp crystal lake" (which is really 'sand pond' in northern NJ) and sand pond is at camp Nobe-Scobo where the movie was filmed and still operates today but a stones throw off the Appalachian Trail. Trivia or trivial, you decide, just remember while hiking in the woods this weekend to look over your shoulder while passing near nobe-scobo. Happy hiking! ;)Some have liked the movie so much they have even tried calling:D:http://www.nj.com/warren/index.ssf/2017/01/who_answers_if_you_call_nj_number_in_friday_the_13 .html

Sarcasm the elf
05-21-2017, 22:53

DapperD
05-23-2017, 13:30
Friday the 13th is upon us once again, and this time Jason Vorhees is pissed, it seems he's been forgotten, so a geography lesson is in order. The movie Friday the 13th took place at "camp crystal lake" (which is really 'sand pond' in northern NJ) and sand pond is at camp Nobe-Scobo where the movie was filmed and still operates today but a stones throw off the Appalachian Trail. Trivia or trivial, you decide, just remember while hiking in the woods this weekend to look over your shoulder while passing near nobe-scobo. Happy hiking! ;)Betsy Palmer, the actress who played Jason's mom passed away nearly 2 years ago this month. She claimed she only did the part because she needed a new car:sunMaybe we can have a "Betsy Palmer Hiking Day Remembrance" also:D:http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/betsy-palmer-dead-friday-13th-799070

rocketsocks
05-23-2017, 14:50
Betsy Palmer, the actress who played Jason's mom passed away nearly 2 years ago this month. She claimed she only did the part because she needed a new car:sunMaybe we can have a "Betsy Palmer Hiking Day Remembrance" also:D:http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/betsy-palmer-dead-friday-13th-799070
If two can make a quarum...think we just did. Thanks, I hadn't heard that before, nor did I know she passed.

rocketsocks
05-23-2017, 14:53
Some have liked the movie so much they have even tried calling:D:http://www.nj.com/warren/index.ssf/2017/01/who_answers_if_you_call_nj_number_in_friday_the_13 .html

Just saw your earlier post here...and I hadn't heard this either, thanks

DapperD
08-23-2017, 18:44
Just saw tickets will be going on sale for the Friday the 13th Camp Tour for all buffs of the movie:banana:http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2017/08/friday_the_13th_tour_in_nj.html

rocketsocks
07-13-2018, 05:52
Friday the 13th is upon us once again, and this time Jason Vorhees is pissed, it seems he's been forgotten, so a geography lesson is in order. The movie Friday the 13th took place at "camp crystal lake" (which is really 'sand pond' in northern NJ) and sand pond is at camp Nobe-Scobo where the movie was filmed and still operates today but a stones throw off the Appalachian Trail. Trivia or trivial, you decide, just remember while hiking in the woods this weekend to look over your shoulder while passing near nobe-scobo. Happy hiking! ;)bump.........