PDA

View Full Version : Damascus Lodging

trailfinder
12-30-2005, 12:46
I am a 53 year old section hiker. Any recommendations for lodging in Damascus, VA? Thanks! :-?

Lone Wolf
12-30-2005, 12:55
I highly recommend The Lazy Fox B&B. Miss Ginny serves the best breakfast you will ever eat. 276-475-5838.

Pirate
12-30-2005, 13:04
Hey Wolf, what about your house? Ha ha ha ha.

Pirate
12-30-2005, 13:06
Hope you liked the movie. Am making another one now about the Florida Trail. Will be in Juniper Springs sometime next week. Going to have a few beers at the biker bar too.

Lone Wolf
12-30-2005, 14:02
Hey Wolf, what about your house? Ha ha ha ha.
No hikers allowed except you, Wee Willie and White Blaze administrators.:)

neighbor dave
12-30-2005, 20:48
off topic;
hey pirate!
do you have "fish and chips" address?:welcome

Nightwalker
01-01-2006, 16:37
No hikers allowed except you, Wee Willie and White Blaze administrators.:)
He's only saying that because I offered to tag his house during the shelter graffiti thread.

:D

orangebug
01-01-2006, 21:00
Lazy Fox B&B is by far the best value economically and culturally. Ginny is one of the sweetest persons I've met on the trail, even if her fare is a bit more expensive than most.

ARambler
01-01-2006, 22:32
There are a lot of great places on the trail and it is good to look forward to them. This year, I tried to stay at as many as possible that I missed in 04. Highlights would be Miss Janet's in Erwin, Miss Tillies / Woods Hole south of Pearisburg, and Hikers Hostel in Damascus. However, there are many towns with a couple of good options, e.g., Hot Springs, Damascus, Waynesboro, VA, Dalton MA, Andover, ME, etc.

Some of the most popular places fill up quickly. I'm especially miffed at those that do a lot of shuttling and are full of slackers staying a week apiece (Miss J. and Bear, you know who you are).

Go to Lazy Fox B&B as Lone Wolf suggests, but no matter what, do not go to Hikers Hostel, Suzanne only has 4 bunks and I do not want them to be full whenever I go back to Damascus. Yes, Lone Wolf picked me up there for a slack in '05.
Rambler

Almost There
01-03-2006, 13:44
I vote Lazy Fox, Orangebug and I had a breakfast while there for at least 4 people...and it was just us two. Ginny is a wonderful lady who absolutely loves hikers!

sparky2000
01-03-2006, 13:47
I prefer the grass about the Place. Cost is low and shower with can are available.

Local
03-13-2006, 10:26
Check out www.damascus.org/lodging.html

Lots of (very expensive) bed and breakfasts, but a few bargains tucked away in the list. Lazy Fox has the best breakfast. Except for Trail Days and race weeks, you can sometimes negotiate a better price.

ARambler
03-13-2006, 10:55
Check out www.damascus.org/lodging.html (http://www.damascus.org/lodging.html)

Lots of (very expensive) bed and breakfasts, but a few bargains tucked away in the list. Lazy Fox has the best breakfast. Except for Trail Days and race weeks, you can sometimes negotiate a better price.

This list seems to be too large to be of much benefit to Whiteblazers. I prefer your printable list for AT hikers:
Low-cost accomodations:
The Place ($4 donation)
Dave's Place ($10 per person) (dogs ok)
Hiker's Inn ($20 per person) (dogs ok)

Along with the Lazy Fox recommendation, this is a more manageable list, although I'm sure there are a couple of others that should be considered by the original poster.

Note, in my post above I called the Hiker's Inn the Hikers Hostel. I'm not going to Trail Days this year, so you can feel free to try to make a reservation at the Hiker's Inn, although I'm sure Suzanne is already booked.
Rambler

Local
03-13-2006, 22:59
Rambler, Suzanne says hello. And she's booked as you said for Trail Days, probably for a few years.

I've added Dancing Bear to the list of more affordable accomodations in Damascus, but it would have to be for two or more hikers sharing. They have some rooms which could be had for around $25 per person.

Richard
http://www.damascus.org/athikers.html