PDA

View Full Version : Short sleeve recommendations...

toogariver
05-12-2016, 14:05
I'm do a sobo thru this year and my last gear choice is my short sleeve shirt. I've used merino wool t-shirts in the past and it does the trick for odors and moisture wicking, but they do wear down quickly and I know thru hiking is hard on clothing. Just checking to see if anyone has a shirt they just love and would like to recommend. Not looking to break the bank, but I'd like something that will last as long as possible. Thanks!

Mags
05-12-2016, 14:22
Poly-cotton blend button down shirts.

Inexpensive, durable, dries quick enough. I can easily button up and down for ventilation. The collar protects the back of my neck. I recycle older shirts from my closet.

I actually prefer the Poly-cotton blend to nylon button downs or "technical" t-shirts.

Greenlight
05-12-2016, 14:50
Ex Officio Geotrek'r shirts are nice. I wear an UA short sleeve summer compression shirt underneath it. I'm one of those guys who has to have a "t-shirt" on underneath a button down.

I'm do a sobo thru this year and my last gear choice is my short sleeve shirt. I've used merino wool t-shirts in the past and it does the trick for odors and moisture wicking, but they do wear down quickly and I know thru hiking is hard on clothing. Just checking to see if anyone has a shirt they just love and would like to recommend. Not looking to break the bank, but I'd like something that will last as long as possible. Thanks!

Coyote Rob
05-13-2016, 09:13
Almost any running shirt.

Secondmouse
05-13-2016, 14:52
if you're looking for woven nylon, button shorts with collar and zip chest pocket, Costco has Gerry brand in LS and SS. lightweight and cheap.

Mags, this should be right up your alley...

;)

rocketsocks
05-13-2016, 14:57
Hawiian shirts made of silk are pretty darn comfy, they also cover a old man belly, thanks KK.

Mags
05-13-2016, 16:58
if you're looking for woven nylon, button shorts with collar and zip chest pocket, Costco has Gerry brand in LS and SS. lightweight and cheap.

Mags, this should be right up your alley...

;)

I actually do not like the pure nylon shirts for three-season hiking. I find they don't breathe well, feel clammy and just aren't as comfy.

Venchka
05-13-2016, 18:25
Poly-cotton blend button down shirts.

Inexpensive, durable, dries quick enough. I can easily button up and down for ventilation. The collar protects the back of my neck. I recycle older shirts from my closet.

I actually prefer the Poly-cotton blend to nylon button downs or "technical" t-shirts.

Amen! If your closet doesn't have any volunteers, thrift stores abound in lightly used low milage shirts for very little cash. As a multi-location skin cancer survivor, LONG SLEEVES will save your life.

Wayne

Secondmouse
05-14-2016, 13:57
I actually do not like the pure nylon shirts for three-season hiking. I find they don't breathe well, feel clammy and just aren't as comfy.

yeah, now that you mention it, my one woven LS shirt has the mesh vents for fishing and when I wear it under a pack shutting off the back vent it does get clammy.

Connie
05-14-2016, 21:09
Railriders Eco-Mesh shirt is longsleeves, has mesh panels in the side seams, for men.

There is the Railriders Adventure Shirt, for women, as well.

I have a Performance Bicycle plastic rain jacket, that has mesh panels in the side seams, as well.

It vents very well.