PDA

View Full Version : shirt recommendations...

toogariver
05-12-2016, 14:07
I'm do a sobo thru this year and my last gear choice is my short sleeve shirt. I've used merino wool t-shirts in the past and it does the trick for odors and moisture wicking, but they do wear down quickly and I know thru hiking is hard on clothing. Just checking to see if anyone has a shirt they just love and would like to recommend. Not looking to break the bank, but I'd like something that will last as long as possible. Thanks!

cmoulder
05-12-2016, 14:25
OR Echo, very light, cool, quick-drying, not too expensive.

Also go see what they have in the way of synthetics at places like WalMart, Target, Kohl's, etc. Sometimes there's stuff there that's totally perfect and super duper cheap. I got some Asics and Nike running shirts at BJ's Wholesale Club that are great. I think they were something like $12 each. Probably similar at Costco.

perrito
05-12-2016, 15:36
Don't overlook Columbia for synthetic, short-sleeved button-down shirts. Especially for a thru-hike where you'll probably need to replace them half way through the warm season.

saltysack
05-12-2016, 16:50
Old navy or target....cheap and good quality synthetics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connie
05-12-2016, 16:53
Rayon hawaian shirt?

Rayon is great in hot weather. Rayon is slow to take on odor.

nsherry61
05-12-2016, 18:53
Okay. I'm feeling a bit ornery so here it goes.
Bring your favorite cotton T-shirt! Comfy in good weather, good odor control and durable.
Of course, you want responsible non-cotton cloths for wet and/or cold weather. But, a nice cotton T is not necessarily all that heavy of a luxury item (unless you get it wet), and they're comfy, and you can get them with great graphics, and they look way better than clingy synthetics. And, a cotton T can serve as a multi-purpose item as well being a shirt, towel, water pre-filter, etc.

Have fun!

P.S. Lots of desert rats swear by cotton because you can get it wet and it will hold more water and keep cooling you at a much nicer rate than synthetics that dry too fast. And, it's cheap and comfortable and durable, and as long as you are not dependent on it for keeping you warm when working hard or in wet environments, it works well.

nsherry61
05-12-2016, 18:56
Rayon hawaian shirt? Rayon is great in hot weather. Rayon is slow to take on odor.
I find rayon to be not very breathable for me and take odor faster than cotton or wool. Also, deet disolves rayon, so you have to be careful with it. But, many people do like it.

Coyote Rob
05-13-2016, 09:28
Any generic running shirt will do.

Nooga
05-13-2016, 09:58
Although not cheap, I really like the Railriders Adventure shirt. I wore it on the CT and found that it was cooler than a thin merino wool t shirt, dried quickly, and did not take odor.

Mags
05-13-2016, 11:26
Raid your closet. Grab an old polycotton button down. :)

MuddyWaters
05-13-2016, 11:58
Any synthetic tee works great for AT

I have a shirt I love, weighs 3.2 oz. Like all of golites good gear, it was discontinued.

Abi
05-13-2016, 13:11
I absolutely love my Patagonia Lightweight Capilene shortsleeve t-shirt, women's shirt weighs 2.2oz, dries very fast and does not retain odors like some polyester athletic shirts.

Venchka
05-13-2016, 22:16
Raid your closet. Grab an old polycotton button down. :)

Aye! Also said in another thread.
One more time: Long Sleeves now or face the knife later.
If you don't believe me, I'll show you my scars.

Wayne