PDA

View Full Version : Oring vs Ziptie on a bic lighter

dgoggins
05-12-2016, 19:03
Just to give you my results...so for a while I have been using a ziptie on my bic lighter to prevent accidental gas leaks in my pack and having an empty lighter when I need it. It works fine, though it is a tight fit to take off, and once off, its a small little piece that you have to keep track of when you are using the lighter. However...it absolutely will not allow an accidental press of the lighter.

I read somewhere of people using orings instead of zipties. Like here ->

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag435/mackgriggs/20160512_163208_zpssqse5z6t.jpg

The best fit o-ring that I could find (looked at lowes and an auto part store), was a 1/2" Interior Diameter, 3/32" width oring. Lowes had them in the faucet repair aisle, for 1/3 the price of the auto part store (80 cents for 2).

It is soo close! What would be nice about the oring is that you can slide it down the bic lighter and still keep it on the lighter, so its easier to use. But the bic lighter has such a light trigger to release the gas, that there is just enough give in the oring that I can still use the lighter even when the oring is in place.

So....I guess its still back to the zip tie.

And don't forget to take the child locks off the lighters! Its easy...just pull with needle nose pliers.

dgoggins
05-12-2016, 19:04
Oh Sorry...the picture there shows a 5/8" I.D. oring....that is for a large big lighter (normal size lighter), but it doesn't work either..

nsherry61
05-12-2016, 19:38
Wow. So much hassle for a problem I've never encountered in using bic lighters since actually, the begining of bic lighters.
Interesting. I have lighters that I've carried in emergency kits for several years and never had a problem with premature discharge.

Franco
05-12-2016, 19:42
I usually have one inside my pot (with other bits that fills it) and one in my emergency kit. Never had a problem with them that I am aware of...

Starchild
05-12-2016, 20:06
Again never a problem with many 1000's of miles with them in my pack, I guess if I had it happen I would be looking for a solution, though I tend to carry 2 mini bic's and usually my stove has a working ignitor. But again never had such a problem and I still have and use both mini bics I have from my AT thru hike in 2013.

And if the zip tie prevents accidental discharge, and the oring is a compromise to minimize the chance, why o why remove the child lock, then reinvent a way to have it not function, just leave it there as it perfomed the same function built in (or I am misunderstanding the way that works, my 2 mini bic's don't have it.

dgoggins
05-12-2016, 20:20
Sorry for the confusion there...the child lock is a metal tab on the sparker system....basically, it makes the sparker harder to use (it doesn't change the gas system). You remove the child lock so its an easier lighter to use. I'm not worried about the lighter "igniting" inside my pack..just releasing gas.

The Kisco Kid
05-12-2016, 20:27
This is a solution looking for a problem. Like all of the other posters I've used bic lighters for decades and never had an issue with something pressing on the button accidentally and leaking gas.

rocketsocks
05-12-2016, 21:45
Regardless if gas never leaked out on ya or not...it's still a good hack.

Franco
05-12-2016, 22:43
"Regardless if gas never leaked out on ya or not...it's still a good hack."
How does fixing a problem that does not exist become a good hack ?

Vegan Packer
05-13-2016, 05:11
I use a zip tie on my lighters, too. I would end out being that person with the one in a million chance of something draining mine, so I don't leave it to chance. Since I use a striker to start my fires, if I need to use the lighter, that would mean cutting the tie, but that would also mean that something went wrong, and I am at a point where I need to count on this backup. Peace of mind is worth it.

egilbe
05-13-2016, 06:07
Back up lighter? Matches? I agree, a solution in search of a problem.

rocketsocks
05-13-2016, 07:07
"Regardless if gas never leaked out on ya or not...it's still a good hack."
How does fixing a problem that does not exist become a good hack ?cause the OP says it exists, the hack works, pretty simple.

dgoggins
05-13-2016, 10:27
if I need to use the lighter, that would mean cutting the tie,

Why would you need to cut the zip tie? It slides up and over the lighter...i.e., it can be taken on/off. (not quite as easily as the oring though)

The Kisco Kid
05-13-2016, 11:09
I carry a backup lighter and windproof matches.

The Oring/ziptie contraptions do not prevent against losing the thing, soaking it in water, or spent fuel from good old regular use!

Franco
05-13-2016, 18:12
cause the OP says it exists, the hack works, pretty simple.
I have a hack for my hat that stops Drop Bears falling on my head.
Could be useful for you to know if you come to Australia.

fastfoxengineering
05-13-2016, 23:01
I don't think it's necessary either. Never had a bic leak out on me. Even if it did do so, you can still start a fire if you have fire making skills. Bic lighters throw a decent spark

poolskaterx
05-16-2016, 14:06
Cool tip, I have not had this problem ever but it is a clever hack. Thanks for sharing.

Bronk
05-16-2016, 14:20
Is this really a problem? I've used Bic lighters for years and 9 times out of 10 I lose the lighter before it ever runs out of fuel. I'd be surprised if you completed a thruhike and had to replace a lighter because it ran out of fluid.

Turk6177
05-16-2016, 18:22
Can't you carry a few matches to use until you get to a town to buy a new lighter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daddytwosticks
05-17-2016, 07:23
Thanks for the tip. Pre-mature discharges and 0-rings...the jokes I could make! :) :)

Gambit McCrae
05-17-2016, 09:07
Back up lighter? Matches? I agree, a solution in search of a problem.

I go on hike after hike after hike without using a bic lighter. I only carry one, and it stays in my hip belt time after time.

My stove has a self ignite which has lasted me about 4 years worth of hiking, from MD all the way south to GA. To the Charleston Islands, Even in Louisiana Redfishing for some quick hot water ( yes I get it, the stove doesn't care where it is used at), any ways.

My alternative method for ignition is a small Fero Rod and striker. It took me a great deal of practice but a cross between backpacking, and bushcrafting however not used so much on a trip to trip basis, I will be damn glad I have the knowledge when I get lost, or injured. With proper material prep, I am extremely confident in getting a fire going with my fero rod just as quickly as a lighter, if not quicker. (Apx 3-5 minutes if not immediately).

Perks to a fero striker you may ask?
-doesn't run out of gas
-doesn't have to be dry to use
-doesn't require a zip tie OR oring

Perks of a bic?
-it has a button
-steady flame
-it has a button