PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness First Responder Class

twinkles
12-30-2005, 15:49
I am interested taking a wilderness first aid class. I found this class which sounds a little more intense that what I was thinking, but maybe that is not such a bad thing. I am trying to figure out how to check out the legitimacy

http://www.wiser-wfr.com/

From her site:

The instructor, Karon Bradley, has been an R.N. for 32 years and a wilderness camp nurse for the last 18 years. She is certified by the state to teach Wilderness First Responder and Wilderness First Aid. She is also certified to teach American Heart and Red Cross CPR.

Jack Tarlin
12-30-2005, 16:55
From her website, she looks perfectly legit, and $325.00 seems quite reasonable; I've seen similar classes that charge as much as $500.00 (If you Google "Wilderness First Responder Class" or "Wilderness First Responder Certification/Training" you'll see all sorts of possibilities and will get a better idea of what's being offerred, how various programs are set up, and what they cost.

You might also want to contact the Georgia Appalchian Trail Club at (404) 634-6495 or www.georgia-atclub.org as I'm sure someone there can offer more information on people who live close to you who provide this training.

Peaks
12-30-2005, 18:04
Just to be clear, the course you are considering at is Wilderness First Responder. It's a 5 day course. And the fee sounds very reasonable for WFR.

Solo and a few others also offer a Wilderness First Aid course. That is a 2 day course and usually costs between $125 to $200.

Both courses very well worth the money for someone backpacking or doing any other activity that is not close to roads and thus rescue and transportation.

scothiker
12-30-2005, 18:50
Peaks, can you post the contact information for the 2-day First Aid courses; are there any in GA? Seems like a good thing to do. I don't have 5 days for a First Responder course, and a good Wilderness First Aid course should do just fine.

Peaks
12-31-2005, 09:31
Check the schedule posted by SOLO. www.soloschools.com I didn't see anything offered in Georgia, but there is the occassional course in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Florida.

HikeLite
12-31-2005, 16:01
Wilderness first aid is a 16 hour course over two days and is all you need for backcountry safety. Wilderness first responder is more for EMT's IMO.

twinkles
12-31-2005, 16:38
I think Hikelite is correct and all I was really looking for was a first aid class. But I came accross that first responder class and it is taught over two weekends. I would like to think it will provide everything the first aid class does and a little more. I wrote and asked for her brochure. It sounds convenient so I am leaning towards taking it.

NotYet
01-01-2006, 10:55
I don't know if you can truly cram a complete and thorough WFR course into 5days. The WFR courses I've taken (WMA and SOLO) have been 10 FULL days (including night simulations)...it's a lot of information and a lot of practice! The re-cert courses I've taken have been 3 days long, although 2-day re-certs are standard.

Wilderness First aid is useful to outdoor enthusiasts. WFR is often madatory if you plan on working in a wilderness setting. WEMT (Wilderness EMT is for those who want an even higher standard of care).