PDA

View Full Version : Food bag on plane

backtrack213
05-13-2016, 08:41
Is there any problem with bringing your food bag loaded up with food on the plane? I can't seem to find any regulations against it.

Greenlight
05-13-2016, 09:13
If it is a liquid or mostly water, you can't bring more than 3.4 ounces of it. I was surprised to find that cakes and pies are okay. Fat boy happy!

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items

Is there any problem with bringing your food bag loaded up with food on the plane? I can't seem to find any regulations against it.

Sarcasm the elf
05-13-2016, 09:24
If it is a liquid or mostly water, you can't bring more than 3.4 ounces of it. I was surprised to find that cakes and pies are okay. Fat boy happy!

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items

Hehe. And don't forget that it's suppoosedly fine if you fill your 1qt ziploc liquids bag with small bottles of booze!

(Stock photo found on the web)
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ae/bc/7c/aebc7c7455feba4e1619f49c245a170c.jpg

Leo L.
05-13-2016, 09:42
When going to the desert, I usually carry a light daybag or a huge plastic shopping bag on board that contains only my empty water bottles (the ones I could not put into the checked luggage due to weight limit).
In the airport I pass the security check with the empty bottles (no problem), head straight down to the washrooms and fill up the bottles.
Even the seemingly low quality water in the airport toilet tastes way better than any source I ever found in the desert.

There might be some restrictions about food (fresh food only) when it comes to intercontinental flights.
We had loads of homemade bread and ham when visiting our daughter in the US, usually this would be a strict no-no, but we had vacuum welded the stuff ourself, and we could carry it through security and customs no Problem..

ChrisJackson
05-13-2016, 10:07
Just stow it up high in the overhead so the airbears can't get it!

Hikingjim
05-13-2016, 10:08
Just stow it up high in the overhead so the airbears can't get it!

I wouldn't recommend doing that on certain airlines. The mice will definitely get into it

The Scribe
05-13-2016, 10:30
should you hang your food bag from the oxygen lines? Can you get a tunafish can through security to put it on the hose? hmmm.

royalusa
05-13-2016, 10:38
We found out the hard way that peanut butter is considered a controlled substance, ie a gel, and thus under the 3.4 ounce restriction. I imagine Nutella would also be considered a gel. Other than our peanut butter, which was confiscated, we had no issues.

Sarcasm the elf
05-13-2016, 10:55
We found out the hard way that peanut butter is considered a controlled substance, ie a gel, and thus under the 3.4 ounce restriction. I imagine Nutella would also be considered a gel. Other than our peanut butter, which was confiscated, we had no issues.

Peanutbutter, seriously? Maybe the TSA really is worried about attracting bears on the plane. :rolleyes:

swisscross
05-13-2016, 11:08
Peanutbutter, seriously? Maybe the TSA really is worried about attracting bears on the plane. :rolleyes:

Or they were hungry.
I would be livid if I spent days dehydrating and preparing meals to have them not allowed on a plane.

rocketsocks
05-13-2016, 14:51
Just stow it up high in the overhead so the airbears can't get it!i fly with my food bag under my seat :D

rocketsocks
05-13-2016, 14:52
...never had a problem.

Adriana
05-13-2016, 15:25
Guava Jelly too ��!

RangerZ
05-13-2016, 16:07
I've slept with my food bag on a plane.

HooKooDooKu
05-13-2016, 16:31
peanut butter is considered a controlled substance, ie a gel, and thus under the 3.4 ounce restriction...
According to this ABC news article (http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/surprises-security-bring-bring/story?id=27081558), it's not that peanut butter is a controlled substance or dangerous in its own right... but that it can be used for concealment.

left52side
05-13-2016, 16:52
Reading the reply's is why I choose not to fly unless completely necessary.
Call me silly but I actually kind of like greyhound or mega bus travel.
You meet some interesting folks along them two day bus trips,and hell I figure if I can take A month away why not be able to take A month and two days away.

Dogwood
05-13-2016, 17:03
I've never had a problem. I will usually wait to buy food oils, etc once the flight(s) are completed. Several days trail chow is just the type of thing I like to mail ahead along with pocket knife, canisters, etc. I like mimizing traveling with/carrying all that consumable wt before getting to the the TH.

HooKooDooKu
05-13-2016, 17:38
The more I read about food and planes, the more I think I'm going to have to check the entire food bag...
From what I'm reading, there is a 3-1-1 rule: Liquids (gels, and PB) must be in containers that are less than 3.4 oz in size, they must all fit inside a 1 quart ziplock bag, 1 bag per person.
And if you pack a jar of peanut butter in your checked bags... the pb will get flagged by the scanners (because it can't see thru it) and you can just about guarantee that your luggage will be searched.

And I don't know what TSA will think of some of my self-packaged food stuff... like the pre-measured packets of lemon-aid and tang drink mixes I made an put in little baggies with a sealer (except for the color... you'd think them to be drugs).

I wouldn't mind buying some of my stuff after I get to the west coast, but I just don't see the time/location in my schedule:
I fly into Sacramento late on a Saturday evening... so even though there is an REI store (for last minute gear purchases) the store will close about the time my plane lands. The hotel shuttle is going to pick me up from the air-port, don't expect them to detour to grocery stores on the way back. The hotel is across the street from the Amtrak station where I'll catch my train at something like 6:00am (so no time the next morning to do any shopping). Using Google Maps, I can't find any near-by grocery stores (after all, we're talking about a down-town area on a Saturday night).

Onemorehill
05-13-2016, 19:12
I can't find any near-by grocery stores (after all, we're talking about a down-town area on a Saturday night).

Uber or Lyft, maybe?

Dogwood
05-13-2016, 20:11
Flown on various airlines in/out of a wide range of APs over the past 10 yrs and NEVER had issue from TSA with Artisana or Justins 1 - 1.5 0z or so nut butter packets. Same with powdered specialty drink mixes, olive oil packets, soy sauce, etc UNOPENED in original packaging. Unless I was going to backwoods Alaska with no town nearby I can't envision carrying a bulky heavy jar of PB onto a flight. For the AT with it's multitude of food options flying into any major International AP near the AT I have a hard time envisioning the situation where PB couldn't be bought AFTER the flight.

Dogwood
05-13-2016, 20:25
HKDK, if you are referring to a JMT SOBO hike starting at HI TH less then 1/2 mile away is a med to large grocery store in YV well stocked with rather reasonably priced considering trail food ready options. PLUS, almost attached to the YV Grocery store is a USPO one can mail stuff to. This Yosemite NP USPO has limited but does offer Sat hrs as well as m-f typical USPO hrs. Calling this PO when not able to get there during normal open hrs I've been well accommodated. THEN, two days ahead is another USPO at TM AND yet again more food buying options. There may be NO absolute need to haul chow on the plane, train, and bus rides to YM from thye east coast for your hike. Options kimosabee.

Dogwood
05-13-2016, 20:31
"And I don't know what TSA will think of some of my self-packaged food stuff... like the pre-measured packets of lemon-aid and tang drink mixes I made an put in little baggies with a sealer (except for the color... you'd think them to be drugs)."I fly with self prepared dinners and b'fast resembling whatever and have NEVER been questioned. Likewise, maybe I'm lucky, but I've also NEVER been questioned by TSA about bags of pill supplements that I've taken on flights. Knowledgeably prepare for sure but don't read more hassle into it than needed.

Vegan Packer
05-14-2016, 01:18
I haven't had a problem, but pretty much everything that I bring is dehydrated or dry.

George
05-14-2016, 21:39

yeah, if you eat it all there is nothing left for the hike

HooKooDooKu
05-16-2016, 22:17
HKDK, if you are referring to a JMT SOBO hike starting at HI TH less then 1/2 mile away is a med to large grocery store in YV well stocked with rather reasonably priced considering trail food ready options. PLUS, almost attached to the YV Grocery store is a USPO one can mail stuff to. This Yosemite NP USPO has limited but does offer Sat hrs as well as m-f typical USPO hrs. Calling this PO when not able to get there during normal open hrs I've been well accommodated. THEN, two days ahead is another USPO at TM AND yet again more food buying options. There may be NO absolute need to haul chow on the plane, train, and bus rides to YM from thye east coast for your hike. Options kimosabee.
Thanks for the suggestions...

I'm a pretty picky eater, so I don't think I want to rely on a single grocery store.

I knew about the PO in TU (given that my plans call for carrying 10 days of supplies leaving MTR, didn't see the point shipping to TU just to save carrying 3 days of supplies for 2 extra days.

I didn't know about the PO in YV. That would be doable given that I start on a Monday and the PO opens by 8:30am. The only downer is that I decided to reserve a camping spot rather than risk getting into the hiker camping area late and have to find a place to squeeze in... and the campsite I got is like the 2nd closest to HI trail head.

Anyone have any experience shipping supplies to a hotel?

Or can you ship TO a FedEx shipping center? There's a FedEx shipping center within 9 blocks of the hotel and they are open until 11:00pm.