PDA

View Full Version : Hoka One One trail shoes

smilinguy
05-13-2016, 11:31
Has anyone tried these maximalist trail shoes during their thru? Seems like the AT would tear them up quickly? Also not sure about the 4% rocker and stability? Your thoughts....

Ankle Bone
05-13-2016, 12:26
Has anyone tried these maximalist trail shoes during their thru? Seems like the AT would tear them up quickly? Also not sure about the 4% rocker and stability? Your thoughts....

I tried a pair on when I went shopping for trail runners a couple of months ago. Hated them

Dogwood
05-13-2016, 17:22
The AT has "eaten up" many a light wt trail runners so I recognize nothing particularly flimsy for the Hoka One One trail runner versions for the AT. I'm wearing a pr of Hoka Challenger ATR aa I write this. I like them. It's taken some getting used to them from the ASICs, Brooks, Montrails, Solomons, and Keens I was used to. If you want greater wear and your pronation agrees with them Hoka Mafate 3 and 4 are a beefy most durable Hoka model. As far as stabilty, which I assume you are concerned because of the perceived height of the Hoka brand, know there are differnt cushion hence heights and base area in ground contact that affect stability and other characteristics of various Hoka models. I too was initially concerned with what I perceived as standing on top of a teetering pedestal, in righetously colored clown shoes no less, possibly contributing to a greater likelihood of rolling an ankle. This hasn't been my experiences at all using the two models I've had, the Challenger ATR and Stinson, on maintained harder compacted non technical single track as one cionscious of my footing and of strong lower body. I'm currently seeking Mafate 4's as I write this.

smilinguy
05-13-2016, 17:44
Thanks so much for the reply. Sierra Trading Post dot com carries the Trail Mafate 4. I have a couple of pairs of the Hoka road shoes, and with their deep discounts, I've managed to get a pair of these for right at $70. Hike on!

Pedaling Fool
05-13-2016, 18:14
I never used them, but this guy (Sage Canaday) is sponsored by them and I follow his training because I like the music:D .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc8tRQn0oaI

OkeefenokeeJoe
05-13-2016, 19:24
I was in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago attending a Watch (as in wristwatch) Gathering and afterwards, decided to drive over to REI to try on hiking shoes. While there, I tried on a pair of the Hoka One One trail shoes and was not impressed in the least. Compared to the Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX and Lowa Renegade the Hoka's appeared downright flimsy. Yes, they were comfortable, but the build, in my opinion, would not hold up to the the rigors of a serious hiker on the AT. Now, if your are one of those emaciated light-weight tree bark chewers with a frail, skeletal, ectomorphic frame and a giant cartoon-sized head, then you just might get a little more wear. However, if you have any meat at all on your bones then no way in hell will they last any length of time.

By the way, I was REALLY impressed with the Salomon's. Very comfortable and well made. Of course, because of their skinny European sizing, I had to go up a full size to get a good fit around my Barney Rubble feet. I suspect I will end up purchasing a pair in the next month or so.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Dogwood
05-13-2016, 20:00
Really Jo Jo? I've never been referred to as a non serious hiker or as a emaciated light-weight tree bark chewer with a frail, skeletal, ectomorphic frame and a giant cartoon-sized head(like Alex Baldwin?, LOL) having no meat on my bones. How about offering a well versed opinion without launching an ignorant assault on folks which I've seen you do several times? Josey, umm, uhh, uh huh, yeah, "no way in hell will they last any length of time" when one ignorantly compares a light wt low cut trail runner category shoe with a vastly different shoe category like a HEAVY BOOT which are both the shoes you listed.

OkeefenokeeJoe
05-13-2016, 20:52
Really Jo Jo? I've never been referred to as a non serious hiker or as a emaciated light-weight tree bark chewer with a frail, skeletal, ectomorphic frame and a giant cartoon-sized head(like Alex Baldwin?, LOL) having no meat on my bones. How about offering a well versed opinion without launching an ignorant assault on folks which I've seen you do several times? Josey, umm, uhh, uh huh, yeah, "no way in hell will they last any length of time" when one ignorantly compares a light wt low cut trail runner category shoe with a vastly different shoe category like a HEAVY BOOT which are both the shoes you listed.

My my, the weighty pain of truth!

OkeefenokeeJoe

OkeefenokeeJoe
05-13-2016, 21:08
By the way, Dogwood, what made you think I was, in fact, referring to you? I don't even know you. In fact, I had not even read your post when I responded to smilinguy's inquiry. My reference was not directed at anyone in particular, just nameless faces I have encountered in the past.

Oh, and I was not comparing apples-to-apples, Hoka One One vs Salomon. Yes, they are entirely two different shoes ... simply expressing my opinion of the durability of the two. One more thing ... the Salomon Quest is, indeed, a boot, but far from "heavy" unless, of course, in the case of an emaciated weakling.

If you weren't whining about getting your feelings hurt (over something that was not even directed to you) maybe you could have understood the nature of my text.

Perhaps, if you are the overly sensitive type, you should retreat to your safe-zone until you feel better.

OkeefenokeeJoe

MuddyWaters
05-13-2016, 21:23
Running shoes are made for.............runners

Not fat lard as$es with fat feet the size of hams

#1 reason running shoes dont work for many. Not designed for overweight people.

They are also intended to be replaced often, because thats what runners do.

Sandy of PA
05-13-2016, 21:27
I have been testing the Clifton 2 model after coming off the trail last year with plantar fascitis. They looked flimsy, some of the wear pads came right off the soles but after 500 miles they still have a geko grip on wet rocks and my feet have healed. My Salomons were what I was wearing last year when my feet got sore and the tread lost its grip at about 300 miles. YMMV, I am going with Hoka this year will report back in August.

smilinguy
05-14-2016, 01:09
Thanks for the feedback. I fear that the soles would delaminate fairly fast - I'm tough on shoes, mesomorphic, but the carbon head sounds cool!

firesign
05-14-2016, 03:44

I wore two pair of Hoka Ones for part of my thru. Durability is the main issue. One pair only lasted the PA stretch - disintegrated. Very comfortable and light and perhaps they are better suited to running and not hiking. I swapped them out for a pair of Cascadia 9s and never looked back.
Best of Luck.

smilinguy
05-14-2016, 20:33
New development - found a pair of Hoka Top Summit light hiking boots at Sierra Trading Post. These boots have a vibram sole, and are extraordinarily comfortable. After all the discounts, I gave it a shot for $62. I'll report after some trail miles. If you like Hoka shoes, you might dig these.

soumodeler
05-15-2016, 14:01
I have a pair of the Hoka Challenger ATRs and the durability is questionable. The padding in the heel started delaminating from the inside day one, and the toe caps are peeling off after only 75 miles thru the Smokies. I am going to call Hoka and see if they will warranty them as a pair of shoes that are only a month old with 75 miles on them should not be having these problems. YMMY.

Dogwood
05-15-2016, 14:46
This is what mistakenly occurs when folks ignore different models for different uses offering problematic blanketing options of all models under one brand heading. When it comes to Hoka durability especially their trail runner and HIKER versions there are AGAIN some Hoka models meant to be be specifically more durable like the Mefate 4 and or Tor Ultra Low and Tor Summit. AND, it should be noted, which hasn't been here on this thread with people making no mention of their specific model versions when opining and offering reviews, several Hoka models have went through several versions. Hoka has specifically addressed previous possible durability issues as they've updated to newer versions on several of their models. If one was following the advance of the Hoka brand and maxi's over the last few yrs this would have been recognized.

Pedaling Fool
05-16-2016, 08:02
I just happened to come across this thread asking about Hoka One http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/105069-Hoka-s

nsherry61
05-16-2016, 08:42
I'm at a loss as to why durability is being treated as a high priority before the significantly more important issues of support, comfort and control. Sure, durability is a great feature, But I'm sorry, if the shoes that keep my feet and knees safe and comfortable last 1/2 as long as a pair of shoes or boots that don't provide the same level of foot and knee health, who cares. I'll happily pay double the money for a better pair of shoes that doubles my comfort and control on the trail, so why not also be willing to pay the same amount twice when the better shoes cost the same but lasts 1/2 as long?

Get the shoes that work! Then, if you find shoes that work as well, AND are more durable, go for more durable.

I haven't found any trail running shoes yet that are especially fragile (I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find some). Even my crazy light ones hold up quite reasonably, and I weigh over 200 lbs.